Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/SendMail.aspx?print=print&type=0&item=140251

MK Kara: Druze are Descended from Jews
Cheshvan 17, 5771, 25 October 10 11:19by David Lev(Israelnationalnews.com) For centuries, practitioners of the Druze religion took care not to reveal any information about the nature of their beliefs, rituals, and traditions. Under penalty of communal ostracism, or worse, members of Druze communities have refrained from telling any outsider more than basic details about their religion.
'Druze here are too fearful to loudly proclaim their sympathies with Israel, or to convert to Judaism, although some do – because of the fear of what might happen to their brethren in Syria and Lebanon.'

But now, the secret is out. Druze MK Ayoub Kara (Likud) says members of the Druze communities believe in many of the same things that Jews do. And that's not surprising, he adds, since the Druze are actually descended from the Jewish people - and he says he can bring genetic evidence to prove it.

According to Kara, who is politically allied with the Jewish nationalist camp, there are many aspects of Druze beliefs that mesh with Judaism: “All our prophets are Jewish ones – Moses, Judah, Jethro, and Zevulun, the son of Jacob.” In fact, he says, the Druze are likely one of the lost tribes of the Jewish people – probably Zevulun, considering his special status among them.

According to Kara, there are no vestigial Jewish practices among the Druze – as there are, surprisingly, among some Arabs in the Land of Israel – but one symbol has stuck with the Druze throughout the centuries. “Only among Druze do you find a red Star of David, in homes, cemeteries, and places of worship,” Kara says. “This is one sign that has been open and visible for centuries, unlike most of the other ones, yet few have noticed.”

If the Druze dropped most, if not all, Jewish ritual, it's because they feared the sword of Islam. “Unlike Jews and Christians, who have the status of “people of the Book” among Muslims, and are therefore are given some basic rights, Druze are simply heretics to Islam, and such heretics must be either converted or eliminated,” Kara explains. In fact, Druze were massacred by Muslims on several occasions, and “it would have been much worse if they had identified themselves as Jews.” As a result, the Druze initially converted to Christianity and subsequently took on a Muslim identity – but through it all, they never forgot their Jewish identity.

Those roots explain, at least in part, the fierce loyalty the Druze in Israel have to the state. “However, Druze here are too fearful to loudly proclaim their sympathies with Israel, or to convert to Judaism, although some do – because of the fear of what might happen to their brethren in Syria and Lebanon,” Kara said. Druze soldiers have given their lives for Israel and have risen high in IDF ranks. However, Druze tradition is to be loyal to whatever country rules the area they live in, so that Druze in Syria are loyal to Syria.

And then there is the genetic study, which shows that Druze display genetic attributes quite similar to those of Jews (see the study for the technical details). “A major genetic test from last year, the first extensive test done of the Druze, proves my contention clearly,” says Kara.

Not all experts are convinced – at least not yet. Tsvi MiSinai, an Israeli author who has conducted extensive investigations into the cultural and genetic background of the Arabs living west of the Jordan River, and who has concluded that the vast majority of them are descended from the Jewish nation, believes that more study is necessary. “According to the study, the genetic cluster of Druze coincides closely with those of the Samaritans, and is very close to the genetic clusters of Ashkenazim, Sephardim, and Jews from the Caucasus,” says MiSinai, author of an ambitious study on “Jewish nationhood” called “Brother Shall Not Lift Sword Against Brother.”

While the evidence so far is persuasive, MiSinai wants to see more. “We know from history that there were definitely Jewish villages that became part of the Druze community, mostly to avoid being forced to convert to Islam, such as the residents of the villages of Abu Snein and Yarcha. If the genetic samples were taken from there, it doesn't say much about the rest of the Druze. I would want to see more of an in-depth study,” MiSinai says.

Kara says that his evidence stands on its own merits. “For thousands of years the Druze suffered,” he said, “so it's understandable that they would be a little hesitant to come forward after only 60 years of Israel's existence. But when you check our beliefs – and our veneration of the great Jewish prophets – the matter should become clear.”

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No religious threads ya habibi ya Russel !!
What is religious about it? It is an interesting piece because it demonstrates the complexities in the ME. It also demonstrates how the people caught in the historical traumas are trying to find their true identity.

Another point that one can derive from that piece is that every effort to present the Jews as the European aliens/colonizers would backfre as they are an integral part of the Middle Eastern DNA.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Dude, I am sorry to be rude but this is a stupid thread. I mean, Druze will say whatever suits their interests (survival) best. I would bet that in Lebanon, for instance, some Druze say that they are descended from Christians while others might say that they are descended from Shiites or Sunnis.

NOTE: I don't have anything against Druze. Just trying to state a point.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
As a member of the community, I really don't take any study on us as being credible. COnsidering almost all our religious history and scriptures are kept secret from us, except for the elite to view, it should clarify the fact that the Druze were always meant to stay a secret religion lol. We are differentiated from the muslims because of certain verses in the quran that we believe were never spoken to Mohammed, I wouldn't go and stretch it saying we are Jewish. Also.... massacred at the hands of the muslims? Umm... history has told us that every single religious group the druze came across wanted to annihilate them...hence why the religion's history is filled with druze rebellions lol...and hence why there is likely millions more Druze in the world but they have hidden their religion for generations that they have basically adopted a new one (or no religion).

Plus, this fails to address the proposals that Sheikhs have suggested on the presence of Druze in India and Iran (amongst many other countries apparently)! Our Sheikhs have said that the people who formed our religion were from a varied background (until converts were no longer permitted), and nowadays due to the no-converting in deal the religion has attained some ethnicity with [most] druze showing a certain haplotype (forget which one exactly..slipped my mind) being selected for in subsequent generations

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
חבר1.0;65962999 said:
Dude, I am sorry to be rude but this is a stupid thread. I mean, Druze will say whatever suits their interests (survival) best. I would bet that in Lebanon, for instance, some Druze say that they are descended from Christians while others might say that they are descended from Shiites or Sunnis.

Well I have never heard any of them saying they are descended from someone. We always took it that we broke off from the Muslims because of differences in what we believe went down. Thus, we started off as our own religion and specifically we took ourselves to be the muwa7adeen (believers in oneness; apart from the Christian holy trinity, Islamic Mohammad importance)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I just re-read it... the dude named off all these prophets but he missed one of the most important: nabi ayoub (Job) lol... what a fool.

And I didn't understand... the druze are supposed to sympathize with Israel? allah yistor these types of articles make me want to scream at how dumb they are..

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
And I didn't understand... the druze are supposed to sympathize with Israel? allah yistor these types of articles make me want to scream at how dumb they are..
It's not that they are "supposed to" sympathize with Israel but a lot of Druze inside Israel find it perhaps more beneficial to do so. I think it has definitely built some good relations between many of the Druze communities in Israel with the Jewish Israelis.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
^^Yeah I can understand that, but the word sympathize threw me off. That is a personal matter right? lol

Because it is really just that they are a well respected population in Israel, and since they are given advantage they will take it...and I guess that can be perceived as them being sympathetic...in hopes to get even more security/respect?

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“According to the study, the genetic cluster of Druze coincides closely with those of the Samaritans, and is very close to the genetic clusters of Ashkenazim, Sephardim, and Jews from the Caucasus,” says MiSinai, author of an ambitious study on “Jewish nationhood” called “Brother Shall Not Lift Sword Against Brother.”
How do you explain it?

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
חבר1.0;65962999 said:

I don't disagree with that but they serve in the Israeli army and contribute to the welfare of the country. How many Druze have joined the flotillas trying to break the Gaza blockade?

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Let them show us what genes they amplified, what sampling they used, and so on.. then we explain. As far as this goes its only text
Well, the Jews are not identified by blood or any physical features. The DNA research is only done for the purposes of confirming a lnk and in the article it is clearly stated that more studies are warranted.

It is an objective piece. As for becoming Jewish, don't worry. You can rest assured that you will never find a Jewish missionery anywhere in the world who would try to convert a Druze or anyone else to Judaism. Judaism is NOT a missionary religion.

PS. By the way, there are 2 articles in Debka.com you may find interesting

1. http://www.debka.com/article/9091/ Impressive
2. http://www.debka.com/article/9103/ Concerning

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Because it is really just that they are a well respected population in Israel,
Exactly.

and since they are given advantage they will take it...and I guess that can be perceived as them being sympathetic...in hopes to get even more security/respect?
I think it's a little bit of both. On the one hand, yes, they are "opportunistic" (which of course is not a bad thing) and they are also treated more favourably. And by favourably, it's not that they get more security (everyone pretty much gets the same security), but they tend to have an easier time getting good jobs and getting into the universities (although there are affirmative action programs in Israel that favor Arab applicants for admission) and I think this has to do with the fact that they are less isolated from Israeli Jews than are other Arab communities. Most of the Druze males in Israel serve in the army and develop friendships and relationships with non-Druze that help to not only build relations between the communities, but which also give them personal connections when it comes time to apply for jobs and university and so on.

So I think the Druze are on the one hand opportunistic and on the other hand, I think many of them probably realize that Israel (for all its flaws and such) allows them more opportunities (e.g., regarding education, employment, healthcare, etc) than they probably would have had had they lived somewhere else in the region. I think there is some feelings of good will as well.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
I don't disagree with that but they serve in the Israeli army and contribute to the welfare of the country. How many Druze have joined the flotillas trying to break the Gaza blockade?
Perhaps there were some? It's a free country in the sense that people are free to voice their disagreements with the country, its government and the government's policies. I certainly wouldn't make such sweeping generalizations about them, especially since you probably have little first-hand experiences/interactions with Druze people in Israel.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^^ Yes

....but there is 1 huge problem. Nobody demands of others what they demand of Israel. It is only demanded of Israel to trade land for "peace".

1 - 20 of 77 Posts