Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Planning consent given to Farrell’s design in historic part of London
The London Borough of Hackney has given consent to proposals for Eagle House. A fully integrated proposal which will include a new residential tower, retail units, offices, start-up business units for local people, a supermarket and a health and fitness club focused around a new central public space. The scheme, designed by London based architects Terry Farrell, will act as a landmark for the area and a catalyst for regeneration in this historic part of London. It includes a new mixed-use development and also a locally listed but neglected building located on a gap site will be retained and refurbished This scheme will have great significance in the City Road area of Shoreditch. There is visual interest at ground level, with a restaurant and retail outlets with large frontages facing directly onto City Road and surrounding streets.

Sam Mansour

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

hoardings have been up for a few weeks now, activity on site too but no sign of scaffolding or heavy equipment yet

This is next door to Alsops 'scribble' tower and it retains this art deco facade while developing on an existing car park that must have been a war time bomb site (lots of those around this area and in the last year they are slowly being built on, eg Londres house finsbury square is expanding over its bomb site car park to become a Travellodge thing)

·
Buka Pintu
23,621 Posts
Nice design and cladding too seems nice.Would still like to see more and bigger renders though.
The base of the tower is a bit art-decoish.Which is good thing.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re thread title, whoops forgot the naming convention! But I think this is in Islington not Hackney

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I used to live about 5 mins from here, north of City Road is such a dump, there are a few streets of warehouse apartments before you enter the no mans land of post-war estates that extend all the way up to the Regents Canal. I used to live on the Wenlock Barn Estate, don't know how I did it! I hope this helps further regenerate the area, a supermarket is muched needed too. There are a few smaller apartment blocks going up round here, one called Pegusus I think and an interesting one built about a year ago on Provost Steet by Peabody homes I think, have you seen it? The one with greeen balconies.

·
35,227 Posts
this is an odd story, a certain person intimately involved with the project told me that farrells had pulled out over funding arguments. iasked farrells what was happening and they refused to comment but said contractor tells me this design wont be built.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
oh great swiss cottage here we come.....
The same thing happened there and look what they ended up with. Poor farrell he really has bad luck in London these days.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
There is a lot of activity on this site, the old Art-Deco building is coming down, for those who don't know the City Road facade is to be retained thankfully, also as it seems is the Westland Place facade.

This should probably be moved to the construction forumn. Do those in the know have any more information on this, regarding whether Farrells are still on board?
To reiterate it would be a damn shame if the current design doesn't get built on here, I like it's Art-Deco styling a lot.

·
London, UK
708 Posts
What a relief that at least that facade will survive. This plot has an impressive footprint. The new proposal must be providing a lot of floorspace.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Whats that being knocked down for :rant:

As the Bishop said to the actress....I divorce thee, I divorce thee, I divorce thee...no thats not it!....what a wonderful frontage!

1 - 20 of 480 Posts