Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STUDENT housing developer and letting agency Parklane Properties is set to start work on three Yorkshire projects that it was forced to mothball when the credit crunch struck.

The trio of schemes in Leeds will have a combined gross development value of more than of £28m.

The proposed projects for the sites at Westfield Road, Cardigan Road and Cardigan Lane were each put on hold by Parklane because of the onset of the economic downturn in 2008.

Working closely with Leeds and Manchester-based interior designers, Fuse Studios, Parklane will create apartments aimed primarily at international students, mature students and post-graduates.

Leigh Tasker, business development manager at Parklane, said: “We are delighted to announce first details of these new projects – we believe they will redefine the benchmark in quality student housing here in Leeds and are suitably excited about their wider impact on the sector as a whole.”

“The growth and relative performance of this market has been well-documented recently; however, we’ve taken this underlying potential and applied our years of experience to come up with a product that’s focussed, refined and just downright ‘cool’. Our future end users are going to be very pleased with our work."

Mr Tasker added that the developments would be the first that Parklane was making available to buy.

It is estimated that work on each of the schemes will begin before the end of the year and will be ready for the start of the 2013/2014 academic intake.

From thebusinessdesk.com

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
Hmmm... the usual 'overpriced for what they are' Parklane developments I expect!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
They look horrible, although the area is now beyond redemption as far as such things go. I can't actually remember what this area used to look like although I must have been through it several times before all the student blocks were built?

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Article in the Leeds Student today which suggests a shift in the popularity of student residences away from Headingley and Hyde Park towards the city centre. Apparently, this is due to the high number of new builds in the last few years. Safety is mentioned by one student as a reason why they opted to move into the centre.

·
Registered
498 Posts
it's nothing that bad, certainly no worse than the other big student halls. However, it does need to involve facilities to encourage students living there to become a community, rather than simply a bunch of people living there. A min-mart, bar, restauraunt etc. in the downstairs would be good.

And yes, there has been a big trend of moving towards town. This year there are notcieably more empty houses in Hyde Park, as well as fewer students in Headingley. With the closure of Bodington mooted, that'd leave only Oxley Hall being well outside the inner city.

Personally, I think a movement of students towards the city centre is good-having headingley hill student-free creates a potentially very nice part of inner-city Leeds for redevelopment, as well as Headingley being nicer too.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Personally, I think a movement of students towards the city centre is good-having headingley hill student-free creates a potentially very nice part of inner-city Leeds for redevelopment, as well as Headingley being nicer too.
Have to agree. Leeds students are attracted to study here because of the city centre, not grotty Hyde Park. Headingley should have a better balance between students and residents.

·
Registered
567 Posts
This is now definitely going ahead. Thought they were just doing some work to keep planning permission going but there we have been informed the road will be back to one way. Householders on belle vue road will not be to happy as they are goibg to lose a decent view of the aire valley. Not sure if it is going to maintain the same height throughout. I think it tops out at 7 and drops down to 4 floors. 131 flats apparently. Shame in some ways there is probably no commercial street interaction as Westfield Road at night time is not always great and I think some night time life would actually reduce the amount of Asb on the Road. Will also create a wind tunnel on Westfield Road which is already very windy. Would also be nice if unite I think who own concept place next to this would remove there hoardings which have been on Belle Vue Road for years now.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Yes thats right have some photos but cannot remember how to up load them not sure I can do it from Google plus or panoramio.
Yeah they will both work. Once uploaded Just right click on the image and click on copy image URL. Or if that doesn't show up just right click on the image go to properties and copy the URL, Then paste the link into your post.

·
7,105 Posts
From the Batty France website

Project Description

Client:
The Edge Limited

Commission:
Employers Agent

Project Description:
New-build exclusive 131-bed student accommodation in 2 attached blocks, in city-centre location over 7 storeys

Project Value:
Budget £7,000,000

Contract Type:
Traditional JCT 2011 WCD

Type of Construction:
RC foundations / frame and staircases, constructed using luffing-jib crane
Isolated piled foundations
Facing brickwork and blockwork external walling
Isolated structural steel frame with metsec lightweight frame to 7th floor
Sarnafil warm-deck roof construction
Technal external windows and curtain walling
Prilim Rainscreen cladding
Eclisse pocket door in proprietary metal stud partitions
Traditionally built bathroom pods
Mechanical & Electrical installations, including BWIC
Lift installations
External steep banking fixed back using soil-nail stabilisation and other associated external works

Contract Period:
56 weeks

Project Team:

Architect:
Brewster Bye Architects

Structural Engineer:
ARP Associates

CDMC:
Corand CMS Ltd

Contractor:
Tolent Construction Ltd
Also, here's a link to the Design & Access statement, from Brewster Bye:

http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/do...ume4&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=10

1 - 20 of 83 Posts