SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was worth starting a thread for the Edinburgh 12 strategy. Some individual sites already have there own threads but this can be a place to discuss the others and the project in general.

The Edinburgh 12 initiative was launched by the City of Edinburgh Council in 2013, to help progress development on a dozen strategically important sites across the city, with completion targeted by 2018.

According to CEC, it is anticipated that the combined development of the sites will deliver:

• Total gross development value in excess of £2.14 billion.
• Approx 28,000 construction & 20,000 FTE jobs created
• 1.5 million sq ft Grade A office space
• 1.3 million sq ft of retail & leisure space
• 1600 hotel rooms
• 1650 residential units (including approx. 570 affordable homes)

City Centre Opportunities: 2013 - 2020 Development Calendar

1. New Waverley (Caltongate)

A £150 million leisure, retail and office development, covering a total area of 20,500 sqm.
Project thread

Current Status: A revised planning application by Artisan Real Estate Investors was approved in January 2014. Construction to commence in August 2014 with anticipated completion by 2017.

2. Dewar Place (Exchange 2)

A soon-to-be decommissioned substation in the heart of the Exchange District. The masterplan proposes a leisure, retail and office development, covering a total area of around 30,000 sqm.
Project thread

Current Status: From CEC:
February 2017 is the potential review date for the Dewar Place masterplan (originally produced by London developer Hines), leading to an updated design and eventual development of the site. This is dependant on whether Iberdola/Scottish Power are interested in considering future prospects for the site, after the decommissioning of the current electricity sub-station and completion of their Glasgow HQ.

3. Donaldson's College

A historic A-listed former school with potential for high-quality residential or hotel uses.
Current Status: Has full planning permission for the refurbishment of the existing Playfair Building to form 49 bespoke apartments, 2 gate lodges and the formation of a new build crescent offering an additional 64 apartments. A detailed design has also been developed for a five-star hotel conversion of approximately 500 rooms with associated restaurant, conference and spa facilities. The site is currently on the market for around £15 - £20 million.

4. Fountainbridge

A brownfield site bordering the Union Canal. Three sites totalling 13 acres with three landowners each proposing mixed-use developments.
Project thread

Current Status: Fountain North (Springside) is being developed by Grosvenor, with phase 1 complete and construction commencing on phase 2. The eastern portion of Fountain South, (previously known as Freer Street) is being developed by West Register (RBS) and the first development on this site - an apartment hotel - is targeted to open in 2016. The remainder of Fountain South is being developed by the council's arms-length development company, EDI. The western end has seen the completion of student residences for Napier University and construction is commencing on the adjacent replacement Boroughmuir High School. A mixed-use masterplan for the rest of the EDI site was submitted to the council in July 2014.

5. The Haymarket

A £200 million development by Interserve and Tiger Developments next to Haymarket rail station that will deliver over 43,000 sqm of new commercial and leisure space.
Project thread

Current Status: Construction underway - reinforcing railway tunnels beneath the site before above ground works commence. Pre-lets agreed with a number of tenants, with the first phase due for completion in 2016.

6. India Buildings

A site on the bohemian Victoria Street with potential for hotel development.
Current Status: Site purchased in July by Jansons Property to create a £45 million, 220-room four-star hotel. The new development will incorporate the India Buildings, Cowgatehead Church and new build elements on land between Victoria Street and the Cowgate. Targeted completion date of 2017.

7. King's Stables Road

A prime location next to Edinburgh Castle suitable for mixed-use development.
Current Status: Marketed by CEC at MIPIM 2014. Presently unclear if the Council is including Argyle House as part of a wider redevelopment or focusing entirely on the 5,300 sqm site currently on the market.

8. Quartermile

An 8 hectare scheme overlooking the Meadows that will ultimately deliver 900 apartments, 22,300 sqm of office space and 6,500 sqm of shops and leisure space.
Project thread

Current Status: Mixed-use redevelopment of former hospital site well underway. Remaining residential, office and leisure development expected to be complete by 2018.

9. Royal High School

A neoclassical former school occupying a prominent position on Regent Road with potential to be brought into new use as a hotel or art gallery.
Current Status: A detailed design was developed by Duddingston House Properties for a £55 million five-star hotel conversion of approximately 150 rooms with associated restaurant, conference and spa facilities. The project was known to be seeking a suitable hotel operator and additional investment but the lack of recent progress suggest it may have stalled.

10. 3-8 St Andrew Square

A £100 million development by Standard Life Investments and Peveril Securities that will deliver prime office suites, new retail units and rooftop apartments.
Project thread

Current Status: Demolition underway, with the new development anticipated for completion by 2016.

11. Edinburgh St James (St James Quarter)

An £850 million project to redevelop the St James Shopping Centre and New St Andrew’s House, creating a landmark development delivering a world-class shopping offer, new homes, two new hotels, leisure facilities and a wide selection of cafés and restaurants.
Project thread

Current Status: In April, 2014, a £61 million RAM funding agreement with the Scottish Government kick-started the stalled development. Construction to commence in 2015, with anticipated completion by 2019.

12. Shrubhill

Two development sites alongside Leith Walk, one of the city’s most vibrant thoroughfares.
Current Status: The demolition of Shrubhill House is nearly complete and construction will soon commence on a new development on the site by Zigguarat Sudent Living for 260 student bedrooms and ground floor retail units. Recent plans for 340 homes on the adjacent Shrub Place site have fallen through. The site was allegedly sold to a new developer in late June 2014.

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I came across a good document about Edinburgh's future hotel supply which I mentioned on the hotels thread.

Only published a couple of weeks ago, the introduction states:
As a new five-star hotel operator for the old Royal High School building is announced...
Unless I missed it, no announcement has been made yet but looks like things are happening with the Royal High School project. Good news.

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A wee bit more information on the Donaldson's College project.

Originally an orphan hospital, Donaldson's College was designed by Edinburgh's foremost architect, William Playfair, in 1841 and sits in 18 acres of grounds on the edge of the western New Town. Most recently used as a School for the Deaf, when the school relocated in 2003 the site was acquired by CALA Homes.

Above images from RCAHMS.

Planning permission for a residential redevelopment was approved in 2007, converting the main Playfair Building into around 70 flats with another 70 flats contained in two new buildings to the north. The plans were originally drawn up by Richard Murphy Architects.

RMA appear to be no longer involved with the project, replaced by Yeoman McAllister Architects, though the residential scheme remains essentially unchanged as can be seen in these most recent images.

A second proposal has been developed - though full planning permission not yet sought - by Dexter Moren Associates for a five-star hotel.

From the architects:
Set within 18 acres of landscaped grounds, Donaldson's College presents a unique opportunity to create an iconic landmark resort destination in the City of Edinburgh. Working with CALA Homes and Prism Investments, DMA have created a proposal for conversion of the Grade A listed building into a luxury hotel, inclusive of leisure and residential uses.

Central to DMA's proposal is the inclusion of a new contemporary hotel core at the heart of the existing courtyard, enclosed by a glass roof. The 52m2 courtyard space is vast and the central element helps to bring scale and presence much as the British Library rotunda does in the British Museum, London. Featuring a backlit perforated screen veil that acts like a contemporary lantern within the courtyard, the core will house bedrooms and significantly enable circulation and back of house services to facilitate all levels, without the need to alter the historic building fabric.

The redevelopment will include 370 suites, 150 luxury residences, 3000m2 convention space, 1100m2 spa and fitness, along with restaurant and entertainment facilities, including a destination rooftop Scottish restaurant and whiskey bar providing panoramic views across Edinburgh.

The site is currently on the market for around £15-£20 million, with both residential and hotel developments promoted - sales brochure.

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CALA are back in talks about Donaldsons being residential... allegedly.
Interesting.

I doubt if it would have much bearing, if any, but I get the impression that the council would prefer to see the hotel development go ahead, at least for the Playfair building. I agree with them. Grand old 'palaces' like Donaldson's and the Surgical Hospital at Lauriston (Quartermile) seem better suited for a new life as a swanky hotel rather than being carved it into individual apartments.

·
Thinking pink.
1,197 Posts
Donaldsons could have been a great home for the Anthony D'Offay collection.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Some questions of more knowledgable readers.

I’m slightly surprised the council hasn't pushed for more intensive development of the site given it is by far the biggest of the obvious gap or redevelopment sites in central Edinburgh. Feels like wasted opportunity with such a huge, wide lawn serving some apartments or a hotel. I think a narrower lawn would frame the lead up to the building better.
Anyway, on a wider point, all the activity across the Edinburgh 12 above illustrates to my amateur and untrained eye that there won't be many big (several acres) sites coming up in future in the city centre. Is Edinburgh about to fill up? Are we set to enter an era where very few central gap sites of real scale exist? Will developers have to amass adjoining sites to put a footprint together for meatier developments? Will it spur lots of micro developments? Or dare I say it? Would Edinburgh ever contemplate building upwards?

I have no answers - but others may.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I’m slightly surprised the council hasn't pushed for more intensive development of the site given it is by far the biggest of the obvious gap or redevelopment sites in central Edinburgh. Feels like wasted opportunity with such a huge, wide lawn serving some apartments or a hotel. I think a narrower lawn would frame the lead up to the building better.
In no particular order;

* Conservation Area
* Part of the New Town Gardens Historical Gardens and Designated Landscape
* Part of the World Heritage Site
* Protected view
* Category A Listed site

The Council wouldn't touch any proposals like that with a barge pole.

·
Registered
552 Posts

Anyway, on a wider point, all the activity across the Edinburgh 12 above illustrates to my amateur and untrained eye that there won't be many big (several acres) sites coming up in future in the city centre. Is Edinburgh about to fill up? Are we set to enter an era where very few central gap sites of real scale exist? Will developers have to amass adjoining sites to put a footprint together for meatier developments? Will it spur lots of micro developments? Or dare I say it? Would Edinburgh ever contemplate building upwards?

I have no answers - but others may.
I'm certainly not knowledgeable, but that's an interesting discussion point. It's possible that at some point in the coming decades that the city centre urban fabric will be considered complete. Certainly there's going to be no more Caltongate or Fountainbridge-sized sites!

However, the completion of The 12 is a long way off and even on completion there will always be a degree of redevelopment opportunity - Princes Street, for example, has a lot of underutilised post-war buildings.

At the same time though other areas can open up. Hopefully Edinburgh Park will see a bit of development now that it's better connected to the city by the trams. Beyond Edinburgh Park, there's the 'Global Hub' site which can take on lots of development to ease any future pressure on the city. There's a lot of potential along the tram route as well - Bankhead and the industrial scrub land to the south/east of Murrayfield would be ripe for development. So there will always be options.

I doubt we'll see any high rises in the city - the Haymarket hotel set the precedent for that. I think Leith has a lot of potential to be a natural second 'centre' of Edinburgh if the trams ever get there, and a bit of height would be allowed there. In fact, I'd love to see some of the pre-recession pipe dream high rise plans around Ocean Terminal looked at seriously! :lol: Maybe one day.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm not sure if you're irritated with my lack of knowledge or not. In any event, I'm more interested to know whether you think these rules serve Donaldsons well. Personally, I find the housing proposals (which don't break the rules) an underwhelming fudge and under-use and hope it doesn't happen. I've always felt it looks odd with such a huge wide view / fontage sitting there rather sad and alone. Like the Reichstag before they started building nearer to it and giving it more of a context to frame it and anchor it into the cityscape.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm certainly not knowledgeable, but that's an interesting discussion point. It's possible that at some point in the coming decades that the city centre urban fabric will be considered complete. Certainly there's going to be no more Caltongate or Fountainbridge-sized sites!

However, the completion of The 12 is a long way off and even on completion there will always be a degree of redevelopment opportunity - Princes Street, for example, has a lot of underutilised post-war buildings.

At the same time though other areas can open up. Hopefully Edinburgh Park will see a bit of development now that it's better connected to the city by the trams. Beyond Edinburgh Park, there's the 'Global Hub' site which can take on lots of development to ease any future pressure on the city. There's a lot of potential along the tram route as well - Bankhead and the industrial scrub land to the south/east of Murrayfield would be ripe for development. So there will always be options.

I doubt we'll see any high rises in the city - the Haymarket hotel set the precedent for that. I think Leith has a lot of potential to be a natural second 'centre' of Edinburgh if the trams ever get there, and a bit of height would be allowed there. In fact, I'd love to see some of the pre-recession pipe dream high rise plans around Ocean Terminal looked at seriously! :lol: Maybe one day.
Just getting the hang of the posting options - only made 1 or 2 comments before. Thanks Leki for your insight. I do vaguely recall the rationale for Edinburgh Park way back when it was first mooted and even then, I think there was a recognition that a city with Edinburgh's historic fabric couldn't accommodate endless growth centrally. Re Leith, I work on The Shore and couldn't agree more. By its nature, a port / waterside setting feels like it really suits an eclectic and adventurous building mix - including high rise. Ports are bustling and full of surprise, they're not mannered and ordered.

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Revised PAN for Shrub Place.

14/03607/PAN | Amendment to approved application 05/03128/FUL for the demolition of existing office building and Masonic Club, conversion of listed building and new build development to provide for new Masonic club, retail and commercial provision to Leith Walk and residential development with associated access, parking and landscaping. Amendments to include: 1. Car park layout reduced, 2 . Removal of commercial office to block A and substitute with residential. 3. Redesign of internal flat layouts / cores / mix to comply with current Building Standards, 4. Public realm redesigned, 5. Revise elevations. | Site 69 Metres West Of 7 Shrub Place Edinburgh

Worth noting that this is a revision of the 2005/2008 consented scheme by Broadway Malyan not the 2013 scheme by EMA. The older proposal was higher density at around 400 homes compared to 160, and from the description above that number will likely be higher still with the block fronting Leith Walk changing use from office to residential.

New project architects are Cooper Cromar, who previously worked with developers Places for People on some Edinburgh developments like Lighthouse Court at Granton. Internal and elevational changes to the Broadway Malyan scheme but it sounds like the site layout will remain essentially the same.

Consented 2005 site plan (also includes Shrubhill House site which is being developed separately)

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Landmark development hopes on King’s Stables Road

Edinburgh Evening News - 12th September, 2014

Derelict council buildings located in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle have been put up for sale – sparking hopes an “abandoned” corner of the city centre is set for major regeneration.

The former offices and storage premises on King’s Stables Road are being offered as a “prime mixed-use” opportunity in one of the Capital’s most historic districts.

Hopes are high that the 5300 sq m site, which links the Grassmarket and Exchange business districts, will become a landmark development of shops, apartments and hotels.

It is not yet known how much is being sought for the buildings but city leaders have predicted a flood of interest.

King’s Stables Road was last year identified as one of 12 “priority” development sites seen as crucial to the Capital’s economic future.

The sale offer has been welcomed by business and resident leaders, who said they were “heartened” to hear the area could soon be given a new lease of life.

Fawns Reid, chair of the Greater Grassmarket business improvement district, said: “We thought it was somewhere that needed to be massively improved – it was deliberate policy [to include it] and it’s really heartening to see it has now gone up for sale.

“I think it will be of considerable benefit to the area. It will provide a great route through [from the West End] and if it’s a vibrant hub, it would be fantastic.”

Although many of the buildings are now empty and decaying, the site has a rich history, with maps from as far back as 1852 indicating it was once the location of a slaughter house.

The thoroughfare was latterly used as a base for Edinburgh’s lighting and cleansing departments.

Ms Reid said the arrival of a range of new shops would be particularly beneficial to the wider Grassmarket area.

“I think it would be nice to have retail along there,” she said. “It would provide the critical mass which would encourage more people to come to the Grassmarket.

“[The buildings] are in quite poor condition and the refurbishment is long overdue. There are people living in flats [next to the buildings] and it’s been a concern for them that the yard at the back is derelict.”

City chiefs said they were confident a buyer would be found soon.

A spokeswoman said: “This property is considered surplus to the council’s requirements. It is anticipated that a significant amount of interest will be received due to the location.”

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For Sale: 8-20 King's Stables Road

Invest Edinburgh

A prominent city centre development site extending to approximately 0.517 hectares (1.278 acres) with the development potential for a range of uses, subject to the appropriate planning consent.

Situated close to Edinburgh Castle and all key city centre attractions, offers invited for the whole site by 12 noon on Wednesday 29 October 2014

King’s Stables Road is situated in the centre of Scotland’s Capital City, Edinburgh, in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle. It is located on the edge Edinburgh’s historic Old Town and within the UNESCO World Heritage site boundary.

The site could accommodate a range of uses including residential, hotel, institutional, retail, business/workshop uses, primary health care, educational, social and other community, cultural and leisure developments, including the provision of new visitor attractions and entertainment. The mix and size of development should be of an appropriate scale and character to the area.

DESCRIPTION

The development opportunity is a former Council street lighting and cleansing depot comprising a mix of buildings around a central cobbled courtyard extending in total to 0.517 hectares (1.278 acres). The buildings date from the 18th/19th centuries up to the 1960s. The accommodation has provided office, storage, stable and workshop space. The buildings have been subject to significant alterations over the years and have lain vacant since 2009.

The site is located on the southern side of King’s Stables Road. Lady Wynd runs alongside the eastern boundary and King’s Stables Lane to the south and west. The external walls of the buildings form the boundary walls to the site on all sides.

- See more at: http://www.investinedinburgh.com/op...ad-city-centre/#sthash.AjAWNDRW.TEy5pNv1.dpuf
King's Stables Road development particulars

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Double post of an article on Caltongate/New Waverley but relevant here too - 34 potential new sites for an expansion of the Edinburgh 12 initiative.

Work to begin at Edinburgh Caltongate development

The Scotsman - 25th September, 2014

Work is set to begin on the controversial £150 million Caltongate development in Edinburgh’s Old Town as developer confidence returns in the wake of the No vote.

Artisan Real Estate Investors, the firm behind the project, has announced that demolition works have now started with building work expected begin in November.

City leaders are also understood to have been approached by a number of groups in regards the Edinburgh 12 - an initiative that was launched by the council to help progress strategically important gap sites within the city centre.

It is hoped that within five years these developments have the potential to deliver over 20,000 jobs, 1.5 million square foot of office space and 1600 hotel bed spaces.

The eight-week Caltongate demolition programme includes the dismantling of the former council buildings opposite the council’s current headquarters at Waverley Court. Construction of the first hotels will start shortly afterwards, with a planned completion date scheduled for early 2016.

The area is to be transformed with the first phase of activity, delivering hotels and a new £6.5 million public square.

Artisan’s vision for New Waverley is to create a revitalised city centre district for Edinburgh, linking the capital’s New Street/East Market Street area and Waverley Station with the Royal Mile.

Earlier this week it was revealed that Hilton Double Tree hotel and The Chanter bar on Bread Street in the city has been bought by Redefine International for £25.7 million - but the multi-million-pound deal hinged on the Yes side being defeated.

Former managing director of Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, Graeme Birse, has said that in the wake of the referendum vote regardless of the result it is important that attention is now turned to building a stronger economy.

He added: “In the area of commercial property, a number of ‘on hold’ projects will now be released and funded. It’s also true to say that a number of initiatives in the public sector have, understandably, been in suspension while campaigning was in full swing and will now be released with some forward momentum.”

City economy convenor, Frank Ross, has spoken positively of the capital’s outlook following the referendum and the significant headway being made within the Edinburgh 12 initiative which has resulted in a number of other sites being identified.

He said: “We are working closely with developers and potential investors to identify deliverable opportunities. As we continue to engage with developers and investors and the profile of the Edinburgh 12 project increases we fully expect further sites to come forward for inclusion. At present 34 development sites are currently being considered, taking into account economic factors such as potential for job creation, GVA impact, location and deliverability.

“There is significant interest in locating in Edinburgh and with the economy continuing to perform strongly; there is no better time to invest in Scotland’s capital.”

·
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin Buckle: Edinburgh should have arts quarter

Edinburgh Evening News - 30th September, 2014

You won’t find many people arguing against the fact that Edinburgh should have its own arts quarter, but up until now very little has been done about it.

Just over a year ago, Argyle House in Lady Lawson Street and the land behind it was reportedly identified as one possible location, but talk then concentrated more on the issues of demolishing the building rather than what might be in its place.

Since then, there has been nothing except the city council’s vow a few months ago to help music industry-related businesses stay located in the city centre. Meanwhile, cities throughout the UK have been working hard on plans similar to Manchester’s “Northern Quarter”. Liverpool has just announced expansion for its Bluecoat arts hub, Birmingham has its Custard Factory and Nottingham has joined the fray attracting Rough Trade to open in its Creative Quarter. England’s major cities have also recently all agreed to start working together, not only on these areas but in keeping interesting retail alive in general.

After the city council’s announcement about helping the music industry, I kept an even closer eye on what has been happening in Edinburgh, so when I was told that council land originally earmarked as part of the Edinburgh arts quarter had just gone up for sale, it seemed worth further investigation. A 1.2-acre site on King’s Stables Road, it stretches all the way from the tunnel famous for its saxophone player to the entrance to the Grassmarket.

A large storage shed could easily be imagined as a venue, with shops and cafes complementing something else Edinburgh needs but does not have – a fantastic indoor market, still leaving space for artist studios. With most arts hubs being created on the periphery of city centres at best, Edinburgh has the chance to create something very special indeed in the heart of the city, close to so many other arts-related buildings – from the Usher Hall to the Filmhouse and, of course, the art college itself.

Something else that was pointed out to me very quickly was that the arts quarter would also be great for footfall in the city, meaning people would walk the length of the Grassmarket to reach it from Victoria Street and encouraging those in the west end of Princes Street to approach from Lothian Road. With a little bit of signage, the long daunting walk up King’s Stables Road to the Grassmarket would be halved and bring new life to the area.

Word spread like wildfire and within 48 hours I’d been contacted by a range of interested parties all pledging support for the idea. There are so many wider benefits that extend beyond the arts and even tourism that there would be a huge positive effect immediately. There is no doubt the project would give an air of credibility to the wider area being considered one of Europe’s finest arts quarters attracting new visitors to Edinburgh from all over the world.

• Kevin Buckle is owner of Avalanche Records, one of the UK’s leading independent music sellers. For more details or to get involved in the Edinburgh arts quarter campaign, e-mail [email protected]

1 - 20 of 127 Posts