SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
981 - 987 of 987 Posts

·
Registered
21,003 Posts
Pahamak na Sen. Bato yan, Wala mga libreng R&R ang mga Fil-AM US servicemen sa Pinas. :lol:
Hindi ba si De5 yan dapat, kung di sha nag frailties of a woman and supposed drug links kuno :nuts:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
https://www.mintfo.com/news/trump-on-ending-of-vfa-i-really-dont-mind-well-save-a-lot-of-money/16203/?fbclid=IwAR0hAMFjloMM23zUypQAB3qJJ7QYvuifyTYH9uKEp7NlrCe8LoDmLFKpFfw

Trump on ending of VFA: I really don’t mind, we’ll save a lot of money

“I never minded that very much, to be honest. We helped the Philippines very much. We helped them defeat ISIS. I get along — actually, I have a very good relationship there,” United States President Donald Trump said during a briefing at the White House on February 12 when asked about Philippines’ decision to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA).

“But I — I really don’t mind. If they would like to do that, that’s fine. We’ll save a lot of money,” he added.

“You know, my views are different than other people. I view it as, “Thank you very much. We save a lot of money”,” Trump noted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess duterte lost his gamble. US didnt bite his bluff. Now what. We're sitting ducks against chinese aggression. But then, US didnt do anything when china was annexing scarborough before

Cancelling the VFA doesn't cancel out the Mutual Defense Treaty. Scarborough Shoal is within PH EEZ, but not a sovereign territory. If China attacks PH sovereign territory, US technically has to get into the fray, vice versa. If China wants to control/claim the WPS or SCS, it will have to deal not only with the US but with the international community, as it is in international waters. UK, India, Japan naval vessels, and who else have been going through these disputed waters. They're also asserting themselves.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I would be happy to be enlightened on why Trump emphasizes about saving money? Are they paying us for the VFA?

The US spent more money somewhere else than here in Philippines..
Face saving. The US creates false narrative about the PH, as if they're spending a ton of money on our defense. The sad thing we are at the bottom of the list, Egypt, Pakistan gets way more financial, military support than the PH. And the US still expects Pinoys to be its foot soldiers.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Idiotic to do this over one person. Shows he care more about his allies than the country and the people:eek:hno:
And as Trump said, the US has nothing to lose. They don’t have any base in the Philippines anymore either way, so there’s nothing strategic they gain with such agreement other than to help the Philippines with their insurgency issues
It's not about one person's visa. Never was. Never will. It's about interference in our internal affairs.

… And Digong has threatened the scrapping of the VFA a loooong time ago. Note that he hasn't threatened cancellation of the MDT and/or EDCA. If you think this was not well thought of, think again.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cancelling the VFA doesn't cancel out the Mutual Defense Treaty. Scarborough Shoal is within PH EEZ, but not a sovereign territory. If China attacks PH sovereign territory, US technically has to get into the fray, vice versa. If China wants to control/claim the WPS or SCS, it will have to deal not only with the US but with the international community, as it is in international waters. UK, India, Japan naval vessels, and who else have been going through these disputed waters. They're also asserting themselves.
Those were in my thoughts too. May Mutual Defense Treaty naman so when our territory is invaded, US is obligated to come to our defense.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Face saving. The US creates false narrative about the PH, as if they're spending a ton of money on our defense. The sad thing we are at the bottom of the list, Egypt, Pakistan gets way more financial, military support than the PH. And the US still expects Pinoys to be its foot soldiers.
That's because we're like grown up children who refuses to leave mother hen's wings...

Previous administrations almost seem to ask permission to do something from mother hen since 1946... And mother hen took advantage of that attitude. Now, we have a President who is telling mother hen he's going to fly out and live on his own... Mother hen obviously don't like it because he's losing the perks of having a subject, a servant who plays be the hen house's rules.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Idiotic to do this over one person. Shows he care more about his allies than the country and the people:eek:hno:
And as Trump said, the US has nothing to lose. They don’t have any base in the Philippines anymore either way, so there’s nothing strategic they gain with such agreement other than to help the Philippines with their insurgency issues
He (Duterte) has been verbalizing the thought way back 2016. Back then, the idea might be too drastic for the general public to digest and it may have lost him political capital if he insisted on the thought.

981 - 987 of 987 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.