SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the eyes of east london were/are a group of old east residents who took it upon themselves to rid the area of crime. apparently they take pictures of illegal activity and send it to the police

is this group still around? and if so have they made a difference?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
As a matter of fact, EOEL has made a difference in revitalizating and realization of the potential for this section of the city. I know a month ago a new grocery store (specialty) just opened down there. Not only that, this committee seems to be making a grave effort to put positive things back into this section. They should get more people to live in that area (who aren't crackheads), and I think they may be partially doing that as well.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went to high school near old east and the east end kids are crazy, theyre all aspiring to be gangsters, going nowhere

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
When I was little I always thought city's bad sides were on the West ends only. lol.
(in my city the west end is the 'bad' side)
EOEL sounds like a pretty cool idea.
But I have a better one, and it's called a local Militia/Lynch Mob...take the law into your own hands and make the city totally safe.
;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:llama: this would be your disguise

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I think as more tall apts go up along the Dunda/York area the political pressure will be there to clean the place up. Its getting quite built up all the way to BealSS so things will improve.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mabey as the area is cleaned up, residential development will spread east to the western fair

·
Registered
30 Posts
You guys sound like London is a metropolis thriving with illegal activity and gangsters. There's no crime, compared to Toronto's vancouvers and montreal. I don't see any London news making the national headlines. I'll throw some names in like Rexdale, Jane and Finch, Parkdale, Regent Park Scarberia. In Toronto the count for homicides is about 30 at the moment...just to let you know.

·
Former Toronto *********
912 Posts
^You're just as guilty of doing the same thing.....You seem to not take into account that Toronto has a much higher population than London that you CANNOT compare absolute numbers. The only things that you can compare are rates. And when you do this, Toronto and London are quite comparable.

Homicide
London 1.7/100,000
Toronto 1.9/100,000

Crime Rate
London 7,510/100,000
Toronto 5,304/100,000

source: http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040728/d040728a.htm
These are 2003 stats. The statistics for 2004 have not been released by stats can as yet.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
^^^^^^^Very true and point is well taken.
Also depends on where in the country you are talking.
In general, eastern provinces tend to have far lower crime rates that western ones.
All of the top 5 crime rates for major cities are all in western canada.
Vancouver, Regina, Winnipeg, Saskatoon all have crime and murder rates far above the national average.
Calgary is a very notable exception with a particularily low crime rate even when compared nationally Victoria's crime rate is just slightly above the national average.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Although I tend not not consider Abbotsford a "major" city it is worth noting that Abbotsford BC is a CMA an has the third highest crime rate in the country and is tied with Regina has having the highest muurder rate.
Beautiful BC is beautiful but also crime ridden.
Surrey BC has the second highest car theft rate in NA.......only Miami beats her.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
miltopolis said:
You guys sound like London is a metropolis thriving with illegal activity and gangsters. There's no crime, compared to Toronto's vancouvers and montreal. I don't see any London news making the national headlines. I'll throw some names in like Rexdale, Jane and Finch, Parkdale, Regent Park Scarberia. In Toronto the count for homicides is about 30 at the moment...just to let you know.
the point of this thread was to get information on the eyes of east london, not to give london the image of a crime ridden hellhole. believe what you want, but east london does have crime. if you walk down dundas st east of adelaide all you see is drunken bums, abandoned storefronts, seedy bars, and teen help centers. oh, and the odd used appliance store. no one said that it was a ghetto and no one compared it to any other neighbourhood in canada.

also the neighbourhoods you named are really nice compared to east st louis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts