SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flat out astounded today, when visiting Kenosha's waterfront on this clear, bright day, to see Chicago's faint skyline in the distance.

I did a double take, it was so surprising. I even asked some people near me if I was correct in what I was seeing, and even they were a bit surprised. I'd never thought I'd be able to see it from this far away--but there it was!

Have any of you seen the skyline from a surprisingly far distance?

·
Registered
278 Posts
^ Yep, from about 10 miles NE of michigan city last summer on a cool, dry august day. It definitely surprised me a bit, but I've been told you can see it even from st.joe, MI with certain conditions of course.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
It definitely surprised me a bit, but I've been told you can see it even from st.joe, MI with certain conditions of course.
I can vouch for that. My family stayed in Benton Harbor for vacation a long while ago. The house was on a cliff and on a clear evening you can make out the antennas of Chicago's talls (Sears, AON ) with binoculars. That is about 65 miles across the Lake.

I had a similar thread to this a year or two ago: I asked if it's theoretically possible to view Chicago from Milwaukee and vice versa if conditions are right.

·
born again cyclist
3,659 Posts
the farthest out i've ever spied the skyline is from the top of tower hill (a ~250' tall sand dune) in warren dunes state park over in michigan on the other side of the lake. it's about 53 miles over the water.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I once spotted the skyline driving easbound on route 12 just after the route 53 underpass in Palatine. While probably not as far as Kenosha or Michigan, it was still pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not the farthest I've seen it from (that would be I-80 between LaGrange Rd and Harlem Rd), but a spectacular view can be seen from the flyover from I-355 south to I-55 north.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here is a view from Indiana Dunes State Park, which is the farthest away I spied the Chicago skyline. Not nearly as far as St. Joseph, MI but same type of vantage point.

·
Registered
12,461 Posts
From Melbourne, Australia...but It looked very small...of course !.......a bit like last pic but further back......much further back...um Ok...I use skyscrapercity .com...don'tyajustluvit !

·
Registered
5,278 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saw Willis clearly 30 minutes ago in my rear view mirror driving west on I-90 right before I passed under 290. Not sure of the millage but its up there. Also considering all the obstructions, trees, grade changes, ect~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not really about the distance, but driving east on Ogden Ave at just about Pershing or Harlem (I think it might be in Lyons), the skyline just juts out and looks enormous and just really striking from that vantage. It's strange how it can actually be MORE impressive in some ways when further out.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
It's strange how it can actually be MORE impressive in some ways when further out.
I know what you mean. I grew up in Elmhurst and driving east over the I-290 bridge on St Charles Rd you can see straight to downtown and it looks so massive and dense! Granted this is only 16 miles out, but the effect is really cool

1 - 20 of 54 Posts