Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think will happen to the few major league cities left that have:

• ball parks built before 1990

• no plans on the table for new parks

• no traditional ball park that is still a draw and an attraction

Which cities are we talking about?

Certainly not Chicago, Boston, or Los Angeles. Wrigley, Fenway, and Dodger Stadium are safe, all three winners.

Minnesota, Washington, NY Mets, and NY Yankees are safe with new construction approved and on the way.

So we're talking about..

• Oakland

• Anaheim (relatively safe due to reconfiguration)

• Tampa Bay

• Florida (Miami)

• Kansas City

How can the two struggling Florida franchises survive without new ball parks...especially with one playing in a football stadium and the other in a tomb? Will the A's stay in Oakland or another part of the East Bay, stay in the Bay Area around San Jose, stay close by in Sacramento, or head to a place like Vegas? Does small market KC need to refurbish Kaufmann or is a downtown stadium almost a necessity. Would the Angels ever consider dropping "of Anaheim" and return to LA itself?

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
I know that a lot of KC people would like to see a downtown stadium, but Kaufmann is just so fucking cool. it's by far and away the best of its era and i would like to see it stick around and rise to the rank of "classic" one day.

the two florida parks have got to go. both of 'em are miserable ballparks.

and for the two in cali, they're not terrible, and they're not great. they'll probably be with us for a while.

and for the record, i am very pleased that minnesota will be getting a new home. the metrodome is a wretched place to watch the game of baseball.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steely Dan said:
and for the record, i am very pleased that minnesota will be getting a new home. the metrodome is a wretched place to watch the game of baseball.
Dan, nice move all around. The Big Ten is going to be in much better shape with the Gophers playing outside like college football is supposed to be played. So it was great to see the Twins and U of M get their two new stadiums.

However, does this two stadium set-up end the possiblity that the Vikings will be able to survive in the Twin Cities. It was decided not to put the Vikes into the same stadium as the Gophers and the proposed size (50,000) makes it an impossiblity of the NFL going in without a major expansion.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I pretty much agree with Steely and as long as Wrigley stays the baseball world is perfect. I just with the Cubs would stop insulting its incredible fans and stop putting those hidious, stomach turning, gut wrenching, pitiful, vomit inducing, embarrassing, horrible teams out there.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
The A's are close to inking a deal with the City of Fremont to build a stadium-which will keep Fremont in the Bay Area. City leaders in Oakland are embroiled in a bitter Mayoral Election-perhaps the most important one in the last 50 years cause Jerry Brown's successor will preside over a building boom that's going on in Downtown Oakland as well as major port and airport expansion. Thousands of condo and apartment units have either come online, are currently being built, have been approved or are in planning stages. Also, the city is currently pondering a 600-900 ft multi-use tower. Not to mention, the next mayor will be the city's mouthpiece when the new Eastern Span of The Bay Bridge opens(a overpriced $6 Billion behemoth)

My 2 Cents?
Yes the As are dabbling in Fremont(20 miles south of Oakland)-but there is no Public Transit Access to the site in question and that is a requirement set forth by the As owner when he first laid out his plan for a new stadium. The As should wait for the election and then the new Mayor can turn his full focus on finding the As a location in town-which is what I suspect the As owner wants in the first place.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Many people here want a new stadium for the Royals, but in my opinion, you can't fix what's not broken. Its a great stadium, and with the modern updates approved by voters a couple of months back, it will be a great stadium and home for the Royals for 25 more years.

KC is lucky to have a baseball team, and though our team isn't perfect and our stadium isn't perfect, I would rather have what we have now than nothing.

·
18,165 Posts
edison field in anaheim (or whatever the stadium is called now) is fine. the angels won't move out of it; extensive renovations were done 5 or 6 years ago, and many people believe that this is the best case of redeveloping an old cookie cutter stadium into a nicer, more state of the art stadium.

kaufmann stadium seems pretty nice to me, at least for another cookie-cutter-style stadium. this is the last cookie-cutter stadium left, so it's really a historical stadium, as much as the astrodome has a unique spot in baseball. i for one would like to see at least one cookie cutter stadium preserved somewhat close to it's original form (i wish busch stadium in st. louis was preserved, because that was an example of making a cookie cutter stadium look nice). kansas city's stadium can be dixed up and preserved.

the funny thing about the a's is that if they move to nearby fremont, they might pull an "angel": they can't move to san jose since that's officially giants territory, so they are settling on fremont. since they still want to be associated with oakland, despite not playing there, many people think they will call themselves the "oakland a's of fremont".

the marlins playing in the dolphins stadium isn't too bad of a match. the teal and orange seats look great with the marlins, and if the marlins ever get a new stadium in south florida, i hope they use the same colors for their seats there.

tropicana stadium is a dump. the devil rays should play outside, in the beautiful florida weather.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
edsg25 said:
What do you think will happen to the few major league cities left that have:

• ball parks built before 1990

• no plans on the table for new parks

• no traditional ball park that is still a draw and an attraction

Which cities are we talking about?

Certainly not Chicago, Boston, or Los Angeles. Wrigley, Fenway, and Dodger Stadium are safe, all three winners.

Minnesota, Washington, NY Mets, and NY Yankees are safe with new construction approved and on the way.

So we're talking about..

• Oakland

• Anaheim (relatively safe due to reconfiguration)

• Tampa Bay

• Florida (Miami)

• Kansas City

How can the two struggling Florida franchises survive without new ball parks...especially with one playing in a football stadium and the other in a tomb? Will the A's stay in Oakland or another part of the East Bay, stay in the Bay Area around San Jose, stay close by in Sacramento, or head to a place like Vegas? Does small market KC need to refurbish Kaufmann or is a downtown stadium almost a necessity. Would the Angels ever consider dropping "of Anaheim" and return to LA itself?

Anaheim has pretty much been dropped. Its now the Los Angeles Angels. Also, Angels Stadium was renovated recently and is pretty nice and updated, so its pretty safe, as you noted earlier.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Steely Dan said:
I know that a lot of KC people would like to see a downtown stadium, but Kaufmann is just so fucking cool. it's by far and away the best of its era and i would like to see it stick around and rise to the rank of "classic" one day.
Agreed.

·
Not ******
541 Posts
indyfan said:
I pretty much agree with Steely and as long as Wrigley stays the baseball world is perfect. I just with the Cubs would stop insulting its incredible fans and stop putting those hidious, stomach turning, gut wrenching, pitiful, vomit inducing, embarrassing, horrible teams out there.
hehe, they wouldn't be the Cubs if they weren't losing, now would they?

Also, did someone leave out San Diego?

·
Registered
455 Posts
So why are they the los angelas angels anyway?... last I checked the stadium was in anaheim.

·
Made in Indy
791 Posts
MSPSCO3113 said:
why doesn't the state of tennessee have a team? they should move the marlins there and leave south florida with minor league teams.
Tennessee is a big part of Cardinal nation. I doubt fans there would want a team of their own.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
MCC said:
Tennessee is a big part of Cardinal nation. I doubt fans there would want a team of their own.
really? maybe the western edge of tennessee over by memphis is an extension of cardinal nation, but i'd be willing to wager a fair sum that most of the state falls into the braves camp.

can anyone from tennessee confirm my suspicion?

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
^ it appears my suspicion was correct. the braves' domination of the south is quite impressive. all of south carolina, most of georgia, north carolina, tennessee, and alabama, and strong showings in virginia and mississippi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts