SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellow SSCers. This thread is part of a set from my recent travels to France and Spain, click the links in my signature to see the others, thanks, hope you enjoy them!

Oviedo is the oldest Christian city in Spain and is one of the major cities (along with Gijon) of the principality of Asturias.

I was impressed with this city, a very pleasant, elegant and compact centre with good shopping, cafes etc and a great old town, the city seemed very middle class but with lots of young students to keep it lively, I can imagine that the quality of life here is good.

It's not only old buildings, I thought this strip of modern blocks was interesting

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Awesome pictures, that park is very pleasant.

What was in the last picture? Pork?

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

^^ They're chorizo sausages, the butchers shop window was filled with a huge pile of them just pressed against the glass about a metre high, I didn't get the shot quite right, I wanted less reflection, never mind.

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
Great pics, mate. Oviedo is out of most touristic circuits, but it is a nice place indeed.

It was several times awarded as the cleanest town in Spain and has a nice pedestrian centre. I especially like the facades of some buildings you rightly captured.

By the way, those blocks you talked about are called 'La Losa'. It was the solution adopted to cover the railways in the core of the town.

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, those blocks you talked about are called 'La Losa'. It was the solution adopted to cover the railways in the core of the town.
Ah thanks, I couldn't work out what they are, apartments, offices or what?

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
I forgot it. Applying the adjetive 'fine' to Oviedo is really accurate for your part. It has a seignorial atmosphere most visitors agree with. Gijón is more... straightforward instead.

Woody Allen said "is as if it did not belong to this world, as if it did not exist...Oviedo is like a fairy-tale city, even with a Prince*..."

*The Prince of Spain is known as Prince of Asturias.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Wonderful place.

Great photo tour,. look forward to more. :cheers:

·
Registered
242 Posts
People are usually impressed by Oviedo, wether they are domestic tourists or foreign. The city is just spotless, everything looks perfect, and the city council makes a big effort to keep the place in such a wonderful state. Even the old buildings have all been restorated with great care and an attention to detail you won't find in many places. As it has been said, it usually get the first prize as the cleanest city in Spain year after year. :cheers:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Andros is right. The first eccesiastical synod held in Roman Hispania was the Synod of Elvira (in modern Granada) in the year 303 or 314 according to different scholars. Christianism started in southern and eastern Hispania as these were much more romanized regions than northern Spain.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Stylish and elegant . If I'm to vote the country with the best architecture, it definitely goes to Spain

It reminds me of one SSC member starts with an A. He explained to me alot about his hometown aka Oviedo :eat:

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More Oviedo pics to come Jonesy? :cheers:
Unfortunately, that is it for Oviedo but look out for some more threads from Northern Spain coming soon, Bilbao, San Sebastian and another of the countryside/coastal areas of Pais Vasco, Cantabria and Asturias. :eek:kay:

Sorry about my misleading information before, I just copied something from a guidebook I had, I should have known better as they are often wrong :D

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
I guess the confusion might be because Oviedo was the capital of the first Christian kingdom in Iberia after the Muslim occupation, although the first capital of that kingdom was Cangas de Onís (near Covadonga).

Anyway you did a really good job in such small amount of time in the city. Didn't you see the spaceship designed by Calatrava :D?

Other things that make Oviedo special in a Spanish context are the large amount of statues all over the city and the homogeneus classic street furniture. Even in working class districts they have those streetlights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts