1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Washington DC/Philadelphia
4. Las Vegas/Los Angeles
5. Chicago/Seattle

·
BANGED
772 Posts
If you're going to be staying in the city as a student, your options may be, and have to be, different from your options when you're looking for a job, or a place to raise kids, or a place to spend your retirement.

Since you're not looking for a city with the best tourism industry, or the most popular vacation destination, but a place where you're possibly spending next 4 or 5 years of your life, just keep in mind that all the nice views, availability of attactions, skyline, etc are all pluses, but not the most important things you're looking for.

I've spend last several years in Seattle, which is nice, relatively safe, very walkable, relatively ok nightlife, etc. But the drawbacks include its weather (dark & grimmy) and the lack of many options for your education and vocation.

So, every city has its ups and downs. some of the cities I can think of at the moment include : San Francisco Bay Area, New York, Chicago, Austin, Seattle, and L.A. if you have car.

Cost of living may be an important issue for you, so.... good luck :cheers:

·
jicky jicky jicky
706 Posts
1. NYC, no explanation needed
2. Boston, study & to feel true American elegance imo
3. LA, teh lifestyle!
4. Las Vegas, to have whatever-happened-there-stay-there moment. Plus I'm a CSI fan
5. Chicago, skyscrapers, nuthin else

·
Registered Abuser
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ok fanx 4 de comments so far, I hav also been doin research myself and so far New York and Boston is a deffinate.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My top 5 would be:
1. New-York City, of course, mindblowing
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco (you can have a look at the link in my signature, fantastic city, my sister lives there and is fond of the city)
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia

I wasn't expecting to see Las Vegas and Los Angeles in most forumers list!
I think that we europeans (or french?) are less attracted to cities like LA or Miami, and most of us find Las Vegas funny for a couple of days but not much more, a bit like Disneyworld.

·
Registered Abuser
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Oh ye lol, I deffinatly do not plan on visting Las vegas, maybe when I am older! But not write now!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
If NY and Boston are already a definent, than other 5 to check out would be imo ( in no order)

1.LA
2.DC
3.Philly
4.New Orleans
5.San Francisco

Edit: woops, forgot Chicago. Swap it with New Orleans

·
17,040 Posts
3. LA, teh lifestyle!
4. Las Vegas, to have whatever-happened-there-stay-there moment. Plus I'm a CSI fan
There's more to Chicago than skyscrapers. To me, its the most American city in the US.

·
Força Barça
134 Posts
3. LA, teh lifestyle!
Nothing else? Why do people talk about things they dont know?

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
There are too many great cities in the U.S. to only see five. You should have a specific reason to visit each city you choose unless you can visit more than five.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How about this you have 5 months to visit 5 American cities. One month per city...which would you see and why?
1) Miami: I need to get my beach and sun on!!!
2) Los Angeles: Get the contrast of east-west coast cultures and finally get a "real" feel for the city.
3) Chicago: Enjoy the phenomenal architecture while eating great food.
4) Washington, DC: Visit the landmarks and take pictures for SSC forums.
5) NYC: I ran outta money. Gotta' get back to work...;)

61 - 80 of 168 Posts