SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
"LA is best avoided, hollywood is tacky and places like downtown though nowhere near as bad as say 10 years ago is still not tourist friendly, santa monica and universal studios are not enough reasons to visit LA if you can only choose 5 cities"

Call me nuts. I disagree. LA is an ever changing laboratory of innovation. If there ever was a city that is the ultimate product of US mass consumerism it would be LA. LA is a sociological wonder and I suggest that everyone sees it. Aside from LA being every bit as beautiful as San Francisco there is an energy about the place which is indescribable.
I could't agree with you more...

·
Journeyman
16,399 Posts
New York
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco

I'm having trouble coming up with #5. I wasn't going to say Seattle, because I live here, but I'll say:

Seattle

PS, Phoenix isn't bigger than Philly. Dear god. Metro is what counts here, not city limits.

·
Midwest transplant
24 Posts
San Francisco
New York
Chicago
Boston
Washington

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,422 Posts
New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Las Vegas
I agree with your list. You can add Miami Beach, Dallas, New Orleans and Boston if you want.

·
Out of time
11,922 Posts
Difficult to say bc it depends on one's interests but I'll try to name 5 cities of my choice.

NYC is definitely a must and it's better to visit just NYC than visit 20 other cities in US without visiting NYC. Other 4 cities would be:
San Diego
Honolulu
Miami Beach
Las Vegas

:cheers:

·
Blue Collar
899 Posts
Again why Boston and not Philadelphia? Both are a must see. What does Boston have that Philadelphia does not besides a better waterfront? This thread should be titled 5 must visit cities east and west of the Mississippi River.
Dont you realize everyone has different opinions??

are you going to ask this question to everyone who picks Boston and leaves Phillie off their list? good luck

Heres my list.... NYC Chicago San Fran Boston Philadelphia

·
Ars longa, vita brevis
182 Posts
in order:

Babbit: Nevada
Lubbock: Texas
Bismark: North Dakota
Salem: Oregon
and last but not least

Newark: NJ really is a must see.
LOL, since there is so much to see in Babbit. I think that if he went on the tour you propose he would think that America was a very sad place indeed!:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
New York
Chicago
San Francisco
Boston
Philadelphia

·
37,549 Posts
I won't name any names, but someone can't count. Oh dear! My niece is bad at it too, but she is 3 years old.

·
5,837 Posts
hehe.

my true 5 must visit cities in the USA. The other list was a joke Taiki.

- New York City
- Chicago
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Washington D.C.

there are so many other great cities in the country when you break it down, however the top 5 to visit and get a real sense of urban "greatness" are those 5.

Boston, Philadelphia, B-more, Pittsburgh would be fine visits in the Northeast
Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cincinatti, Detroit in the Midwest
Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami/Sobe, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Charleston in the south
and Las Vegas, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Denver in the west

are all terrific places but I'd say the top 5 I chose would be ideal. All 5 would simply blow your mind as a first time traveler to the United States.

·
37,549 Posts
My list is similar to yours, but I'd substitute Las Vegas and New Orleans for San Francisco and Chicago. Nothing against those last 2 cities, but if you only visit the US once, it would be nice to see as much variety as possible. At least one city in the US south is important and then Vegas; it's too iconic and unique to pass up.

New York City
Washington
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
New Orleans

121 - 140 of 168 Posts