SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Banished from SSP
535 Posts
1) New York City - Do I really have to explain why? OK. When you return home, people will inevitably ask you about NYC. You can be blase and tell them it's crowded, noisy, dirty and very overrated. People will think you're being smug, but you'll really just be telling the truth.
2) Washington D.C. - You've seen it blown up in countless movies. See it now lest it happens for real.
2) Chicago - The only midwest city that is a must see. Go to the top of the Sears Tower to get an idea of what a billiard table the size of three large states would look like. If you are studying architecture, a trip to Chicago and its surroundings should be considered a pilgrimage. When you return home, you can tell people you visited Chicago and they'll ask, "Where?"
3) Las Vegas - An all-out celebration of American excess and tackiness. But in a good way. Should you see Celine Dion, a French circus act, a gay magician duo, or just gamble away the mortgage money? Tough choice...
4) San Francisco - Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. Take a boat ride around the bay. Then get out of there and go to Yosemite.
5) Tucson - Yes, I said Tucson.

To avoid:

- New Orleans. I can't understand why so many are recommending it. Pity, perhaps? I visited the city several times and found it to be a dilapidated, filthy toilet of a city. And that was before Katrina. Unless it's Mardi Gras and you're an idiotic binge-drinking college student I see no reason to bother with it.

- Miami. Unless you're a gay Cuban, I don't get the appeal. There are so many more attractive, safer places further north up the coast. Frighteningly, a brief visit to Jacksonville hasn't altered that opinion. Better yet, try the Carolinas.

- Los Angeles. You've seen it nuked, burned by lava flows, flooded, pelted with meteorites, attacked by space aliens, or shaken into oblivion in countless movies. No big loss.

- Salt Lake City. I agree with the previous post. The city is boredom personified. I mean, just think: The most thrilling place to visit is a Mormon temple. The only advantage to Salt Lake City is you'll never get lost. It's near-perfect cartesian grid system assures you of that. (I used to work at 3959 West, 1820 South.)

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
^^^
I like Salt Lake City! Very friendly and beautiful place!

That said, you asked for it, you got it:

New York, obviously.

Chicago, obviously.

San Francisco, obviously.

Philadelphia -which is more regional, but also a very authentic blue collar town, not unlike your native Birmingham. And it's loaded with great art, great nightlife (better than NYC), and lots to see and do!

Seattle -because you're young and you need a great place to get messed up and hang out!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Without having looked at any other responses:

NYC
Los Angeles
DC
Miami
New Orleans

2nd string

Charleston
Santa Fe
Manchester
Jamestown
St. Augustine

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
- New Orleans. I can't understand why so many are recommending it. Pity, perhaps? I visited the city several times and found it to be a dilapidated, filthy toilet of a city. And that was before Katrina. Unless it's Mardi Gras and you're an idiotic binge-drinking college student I see no reason to bother with it.
Culture, cuisine, and the fact that it's usually the only Southern city that people recommend (Miami, obviously, doesn't really count in this sense).

It may be a "dilapidated, filthy toilet of a city" (I don't think so), but there's no place like it.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Large Cities:
1. Washington D.C.
2. Chicago
3. NYC
4. San Francisco
5. Philadelphia

Smaller Cities:
1. Savannah
2. Key West
3. Charleston
4. Annapolis
5. Asheville

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hi everyone!
Im visiting NY next year. I would be very pleased if you could help me with some data-

-When to go? (month)
-Hotels
-Is it enough a week to visit the main places in NY ?
-Must seen places

Thanks in advance!!

161 - 168 of 168 Posts