SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
gas killburt said:
asohn,

thanks for supplying the facts. it's a shame that such a magnificent building got stuck with that rather prosaic nickname. does anybody still call it the fuller, or old fuller building?

gk
To be perfectly honest, i never even knew it was called that at one time. Most people in New York probably don't even know Flatiron, let alone Fuller. I've never heard it called Fuller before.

·
Long live the Twins!
1,116 Posts
i'm very sure that the parts were replaced. the building has landmark status at least exterior-wise. that means that no significant changes can be made to the exterior facade without permission. and so, if it's renovated, what was removed has to be replaced with what was there before.

flatiron building indeed was once called the fuller building when it was built. but the fuller company had moved into a bigger art deco tower in northeast midtown in the late 20s. so, the building no longer carry the fuller name. and the flatiron name is very likely derived from its flat shape, thus it's a pretty appropriate name. it's a relatively famous building since its name sticks very well, but it's strange that many people think that it was once a wtb (many tour guides say the same thing, surprisingly), even though it never was (the 119m park row building beat it to the title 3 years earlier).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts