SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Foxtel IQ, I can actually watch this show without having to worry about staying up late (as it's not until midnight in Sydney).:)

I am an NRL fan but for some reason I seem to prefer this one over the NRL one, because the AFL version seems to be more funnier at the moment.

I enjoy having a laugh at Sams Mailbag with the silly letters and Trevor Marmalade cracks me up with his random comments.

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
Sam Newman cracks me up.

All i know of the NRL one is that 'ranga Fatty or something? is the host?

Does anyone know which one has been on air the longest?

·
©
9,470 Posts
I only ever saw the AFL Footy Show years ago, it used to be pretty crappy & not funny at all. They must have taken a leaf out of the NRL Footy Show's book & made it more appealing to everyone. (When i say everyone, i mean make it more appealing to non-sports lovers)

Not sure which one has been going the longest though.

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
its interesting the NRL one is shown in NT before the AFL... i mean the NRL dont travel to NT for matches do they?

Both 15 seasons.

·
©
9,470 Posts
I think some pre-season matches are played up there, but no NRL matches AFAIK. Rugby League is fairly popular in NT, as is Aussie Rules.

·
What a timeline we're in!
5,189 Posts
I only ever saw the AFL Footy Show years ago, it used to be pretty crappy & not funny at all. They must have taken a leaf out of the NRL Footy Show's book & made it more appealing to everyone. (When i say everyone, i mean make it more appealing to non-sports lovers)

The NRL show is so much funnier and far more creative. The AFL show is very slapstick and somewhat rehearsed, which looks so dour. Since Eddie isn’t there it has completely lost its way, I can’t stand watching the show to be honest.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts

well, NRL stole SOO from AFL and AFL stole the good footy show from NRL?

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
AFL footy show is hilarious.

Regie is the funniest on the NRL footy show, best charactor ever, but it is on too late.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I must admit the AFL footy show has got a bit better over the last year. Prior to that for about 4 years it was just terrible, and it used to make me cringe when watching it, especially Sam Newman, who at one stage was so not funny.
One note though, it may as well be called the Victorian Footy show. There are no news or stories or segments on anything other than in Melbourne, and what shits me off is the constant segments on raising money/awareness on less fortunate people or sick children, people needing expensive operations, caus its only for Victorians, where all proceeds go to only Victorian hospitals or organisations. If your gonna do these segments, there are sick and less fortunate people in SA and WA also.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
I think some pre-season matches are played up there, but no NRL matches AFAIK. Rugby League is fairly popular in NT, as is Aussie Rules.
Penrith and Newcastle played a pre-season trial in Alice Springs in 2007 (I think that was the year) and there were plans to make it an annual event, alternating between there and Darwin, with support from the NT Government I believe, but it never eventuated.

The old NSWRL in the 1990's did schedule regular season matches at Richardson Park in Darwin - one I remember was Penrith v Balmain, there were probably a couple more.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Sam Newman's Footy Show has slipped dramatically in the ratings over the last month. Apparently due to the women being upset with the Caro Wilson stunt.

To form, the Footy Show is due for a big controversy to cancel out the previous one and boost ratings again. Maybe something rascist, sexist or possibly anti-semitic.

Sam needs to start a campaign for every footy team to get cheerleaders. Say squads of 200 women per a team.

·
What a timeline we're in!
5,189 Posts
I must admit the AFL footy show has got a bit better over the last year. Prior to that for about 4 years it was just terrible, and it used to make me cringe when watching it, especially Sam Newman, who at one stage was so not funny.
One note though, it may as well be called the Victorian Footy show. There are no news or stories or segments on anything other than in Melbourne, and what shits me off is the constant segments on raising money/awareness on less fortunate people or sick children, people needing expensive operations, caus its only for Victorians, where all proceeds go to only Victorian hospitals or organisations. If your gonna do these segments, there are sick and less fortunate people in SA and WA also.
true, it is very melbourne centric. The jokes are somewhat scripted and artificial in a way and the new hosting structure is incredibly painful.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I like it so much better than Eddie. You could tell he had everyone that show by the balls towards the end. At first it was ok because he was nothing but a host. But then he was Pies president, then moved up the ranks at channel 9 and eventually CEO and eventually sacked. Hahaha.

Anyway, Gary Lyon and James Brayshaw do a decent job. Although Brayshaw is becoming increasingly gayer looking in an uncomfortable way.

Sam is just funny as **** most of the time. His material isn't as good so he is reverting to more "shock" tactics for his laugh but I am certain he is losing the plot. I think he is getting senile (or maybe too drunk on the show). But he is great at taking the piss and thats his job.

They also shortened the painful boring discussions at the beginning of the show that went on forever and no one cared about.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have been watching the AFL Footy Show religously for years. It has always been on late in Brisbane even as late as 2am but now it is on at 11.30pm. Its a great show and people have to take Sam with a grain of salt.

Sam Newman's Footy Show has slipped dramatically in the ratings over the last month. Apparently due to the women being upset with the Caro Wilson stunt.
The stunt was just a piss-take of Caro Wilson and if females want to be part of Footy circles they shouldn't be immune from a great football tradition of having the piss taken from you.

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
i reckon sams hilarious, because hes not trying to be funny half the time, its more the fact he is usually clueless about whats going on around him lol

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Footy Show is an ancient concept. It harks back to the old World of Sport and League Teams. Arguably shitter because there were a lot more characters around in the old days.

**** knows what the RL lot used to do, never heard of the sport until the late 80s.

·
Mr Superstar
2,407 Posts
problem is that Sam IS TRYING to be funny... that is a sad thing
Sam is funny.

Sam has the balls (well he doesnt but lets not go there) to tell it like it is. Right or wrong, he doesnt mix words.

And 9 has to tolerate this as he brings them $$$ and without him, TFS is nothing. Its so refreshing to see someone different as we are being overtaken by reality tv show sluts and bad drama.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If I was running the Footy Show(AFL) I would get back to hard nosed interviews. Sam asking the questions of players, officials and coaches. Cut it back to an hour and get rid of a lot of the filler they stick in, like music, competitions etc.. People don't give a toss.

Keep it to footy.

I would get Sam to interview Jeff Kennett and really stick it to him over how he has semi-relocated Hawthorn to Tassie.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts