SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Kolymaaa
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ok gentlemen, here is a good way to settle a few scores.

what is the furthest away motorway or A-road sign from you city, that signals your city?

as far as i know, the furthest from Nottingham, is on the M42 south of Birmingham, saying:

NOTTINGHAM 74

obviously london is going to win, but who's next? the furthest i saw was birmingham 100-odd on the M6 north of the lakes.

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
Liverpool's fucked you don't see anything until you've got past Warrington on the M62.

Birmingham has signs from miles out.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
To my knowledge, Harrogates furthest sign is on the A59 near Clitheroe. I think that's pretty good considering its size.

At a guess, Leeds' would probably be on the M62 or M1. It's not the A1(M) south though, thats definite. I'm pretty sure you can pick up signs for Leeds at Nottingham. I don't know about further south.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Liverpool's fucked you don't see anything until you've got past Warrington on the M62.

Birmingham has signs from miles out.
There's signs for Liverpool on the M60 near the Trafford Centre so that's a little further than Warrington.

As for Birmingham, there's a sign on Islington in Liverpool City Centre which states, Birmingham - 101 miles.

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
Leeds, being at the end of the M1 tends to get signed a lot, altho sometimes its just M1 The North lol

As u exit Leeds, you see signs for [ M1 SOUTH, LONDON ] [ M621, MANCHESTER ]

as u exit Manchester, you see signs for [ LEEDS M62 ]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Strange thread - but I have noticed there is a sign saying "Birmingham 85 miles" on the outskirts of Manchester, but have not seen any such sign in or near Birmingham indicating the distance to Manchester, until you are at Stafford on the M6!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
..... sad I know, but I recall it says "Birmingham 100 miles" as you get on the M40 off the M25 .... what a saddo to know that!!!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
To my knowledge, Harrogates furthest sign is on the A59 near Clitheroe. I think that's pretty good considering its size.

At a guess, Leeds' would probably be on the M62 or M1. It's not the A1(M) south though, thats definite. I'm pretty sure you can pick up signs for Leeds at Nottingham. I don't know about further south.
Theres a Leeds 64 miles sign in Hull, perhaps the nearest sizeable city.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Yeah I thought there was; but Nottingham is further than Hull from Leeds so I just mentioned that. There are signs for Leeds on the M60 (maybe at the M6 junction with the M62?), the A1(M) from just south of Doncaster, and the A1(M) from just north of Wetherby. I don't know about on the A65?

·
control yourself
4,368 Posts
Carlisle...ish

this one is on the viaduct that carries the train lines over the Clyde and in and out of Glasgow Central

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
..... sad I know, but I recall it says "Birmingham 100 miles" as you get on the M40 off the M25 .... what a saddo to know that!!!!
Not sad at all :)

Reminds me of the BBC4 programme on history of the motorways.

M40 was one of earliest motorways and designed to connect London and Birmingham, albeit being done in two bits really so that makes sense.

I guess Birmingham being a motorway city it makes sense for it to be signposted although how bizzare it's signposted for in Liverpool city centre.

The problem I always have with signs is when they shorten them to some crap shortened spelling of the place and I can't work out what they mean.

B'ham and Mcr are fairly easy to work out. Some of the other shortened names I've had no idea.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
What an ABSOLUTELY fantastic thread!!!

Yep, I saw this sign a couple of weeks ago whilst heading home from London. :happy: I also noticed while in Central London, Brighton and Portsmouth are on signposts!

Karate Kev - not sure there's a sign to Birmingham north of the Lakes but I know there's one near Preston saying that Birmingham is 100+ miles.

On the motorways around Birmingham there are various signs to London, one being 123 miles.

Bristol is signposted just after Worcester on the M5 I think, or maybe just before Gloucester. :?

Brownhills, a smallish town in Walsall, is signposted from Kenilworth in Warwickshire. :crazy:

This is currently my favourite thread on SSC. :banana: Please can we have an American one as I think LA is signposted from New York. :pepper: ;)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I have a picture (somewhere,) taken outside a bar on Isabella Island in the Galapagos Islands, of a signpost indicating that Liverpool is 10,486 Kilometres to the north east of the signs location.:)

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
actually this thread gives me a reason to mention the following:

On the B3116, Wells-way in Keynsham there is a sign labelled ''Hannover international conference'' and its pointed towards a narrow country lane :crazy: and its on a sign (albeit small) that looks genuine too so its even more believable :crazy:

·
Kolymaaa
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Karate Kev - not sure there's a sign to Birmingham north of the Lakes but I know there's one near Preston saying that Birmingham is 100+ miles.
indeed my good man. South of the lakes!

why do we only signal the 'next' place and london on our motorway signs?

for any forienger, it must be like we only have crappy little towns.

imagine M1 north sign coming out of london (mileages poorly estimated)

M1 NORTH
Milton Keynes 44
Leicester 85
Nottingham 110
Derby 115
Sheffield 156
Leeds 186

looks alot more bad ass, than

M1
The North
Aylesbury 12

doesnt it?

As u exit Leeds, you see signs for [ M1 SOUTH, LONDON ]
yes i noticed that sign doesnt give you a mileage value for london, just says something like

M1
The South
Barnsley 22
London

its like its so far that our poor little protected heads would explode if we knew how far it was.

i know there are signs for harwich on the A14 that exceed 120 miles, perhaps that harwich is the second furthest?

·
Mhmm?
3,719 Posts
I'm sure I've seen a sign for Leeds just coming out of London on the M1, just near the London Gateway service station.

Subliving.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts