SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When light passes through material such as glass, a portion of its energy is lost as it reflects off the material’s surface. Researchers at Japan’s Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (Riken) have come up with a theoretical design for preventing this phenomenon from occurring.

The researchers have designed a prism of engineered material — metamaterial comprised of an arrangement of nano-coils of precious metals such as gold or silver — embedded in a solid glass-like material. The prism structure has a negative refractive index, which makes it truly transparent to light, allowing it to pass freely through with no reflection.

In the future, this type of metamaterial prism could lead to improvements in low-loss fiber optic communications, the development of telescopes and cameras well-suited for dark subjects, and the emergence of optical equipment we have never seen before.

[Sources: Jiji, Riken press release]

http://www.pinktentacle.com/2006/04/through-the-zero-reflection-looking-glass/
Imagine the possibilities of using these for facades. Avatar will be drooling.

P.S: On a second note, Avatar may not like it. It has negligable reflection.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Imagine Q1 with that, would look like a building with no facade rofl you could see everybody inside :D

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LA53R said:
Imagine Q1 with that, would look like a building with no facade rofl you could see everybody inside :D
You will see a lot of people walking through glass and bumping their head.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Gonna be a lot of people with saw heads at the factor where they make this stuff;) Would make a cool, if somewhat frustrating maze;)

·
retired
893 Posts
they really need this on q1's observation deck! the reflection up there at night makes it a little difficult to see out which is annoying cause the view is so great. Can't wait to see the creative ways they use this technolgy in the future :)

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I dont think it will be used for windows roflrofl.. for obvious reasons..

The whole people hurting themselves, and the whole gold and silver in it (Not that I know the amount, could be very little i guess)

But Fibre Optics use for it makes me happy. Since.... Lower Latencies and higher data transfer are liek... THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dudes you can't make a whole building out of this stuff! There would be no architechtual fun. But as a few of you said it would be good just crowning off the building.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Centrepoint said:
Dudes you can't make a whole building out of this stuff! There would be no architechtual fun. But as a few of you said it would be good just crowning off the building.
Maybe the crown is so invisible, you cannot see it!

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
One usefull application of this glass would be when they put famous paintings behind glass to protect it. When I saw the Mona Lisa, it had a green exit sign reflecting where her right nostril should have been!

And peep shows.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tony P said:
One usefull application of this glass would be when they put famous paintings behind glass to protect it. When I saw the Mona Lisa, it had a green exit sign reflecting where her right nostril should have been!

And peep shows.
And to try and mix Mr_Centrepoint's and TonyP's posts together, Mona Lisa lacks eyebrows.

I recken it will be awesome to put on skyscrapers. From bottom to top, it gets less reflective then invisible. So on bottom it is very reflective and one way mirror, and the top is invisible. Sort of like a dissappearing skyscraper when you look up from the base!

·
Registered
652 Posts
^^ That would look weird! hehe

If it were used on the external surfaces of buildings tho, it would become visible very quickly as dirt and grime stuck to the glass. Sore heads (and dead birds) only for the first week!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Car windscreens, oh god it would make driving a lot easier.
But i'd probably be ducking for bugs and things :D

·
Banned
481 Posts
If it was invisible, how would any of you building perverts take pics :D

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Olderfleet said:
^^ That would look weird! hehe

If it were used on the external surfaces of buildings tho, it would become visible very quickly as dirt and grime stuck to the glass. Sore heads (and dead birds) only for the first week!

Here is a photo from Locke. As you mentioned, i think Q1 solved the dead bird problem by having a hatchet on the bottom of tower. It collects all dead birds and can be easily cleared every week. Dead bird falling off like a missile. Maybe the glass is shatterproof?

Too bad Q1's facade is not invisible!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts