SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the way the 21st century is shaping up, Japan Korea and China are all major economic powers in the region and the world. But there is still much divide between the three countries, being so close geographically we all seems to know more about the US and the western world than we do our own neighbours (that's the general feeling I got while I was in China, and while I was in China, Korea and Japan felt like such distant places, I actually feel Korea and Japan is closer from Auckland lol), despite the fact that we share so many cultural and historical commonalities.

I mean don’t you people find that when you’re overseas you naturally feel closer to a Korean or Japanese (other than your own countrymen), since we’re all East Asians? Although I think it’s great China is establishing closer diplomatic relationship with many countries all around the world, we should do more to establish better relationships with our neighbours, although the governments of the countries may be on very amicable terms in the economic field, we need to do more and establish mutual feelings of respect (and there is a lot to respect) and trust between not only governments but the citizens of each country. This is not only important for economic prosperity but also for the peace and stability of the region, and that involves the reunification of Korea without full out armed conflict.

Old animosities run deep, and that's understandable, each time I think about what happened in Nanjing my blood runs cold, and no we shouldn’t forget, but we should not let old conflicts deter peace of the future. I mean look at Europe, the continent was plagued with wars and conflict for millennia’s, now they’re so united and call themselves Europeans.

Though many people say China is on its way to becoming a superpower, I really don’t think China should follow in the footsteps of the US and become a hegemon, the future will be a multipolar world and we don’t need US-like foreign policy, installing puppet governments, waging wars, and screwing the rest of world for the benefit of the America.

So people, what are your thoughts on the future of Northeast Asia, what do you think should/will/might happen in this what I think is the most exciting region in the world.

P.S. please keep it civilised and no flame wars. 

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
See america is rich

Chinese Love American ,Koreans Love America. Japanese(a group of them) Love America

See if China becomes rich and thus a super power(in my personal view it iwll become a superpower)

Koreans will Love China ,Philipines will Love China Japanese will love China

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
China is going to be the richest country in the world soon, Koreans and Japanese will only want to have closer ties to benefit their economy.

The richer the Chinese people get, the better views the Chinese will have of Koreans and Japanese.

Japanese and Koreans will have better views of the Chinese when the people get richer.

I think wealth will bring Northeast Asia more closer then ever before.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
I don't know about the future of Northeast Asia or Asia but I agree with dodge about "knowing more" and the deep interest for the US in China. Take my cousin for example, whenever I talk to her on the phone, we would start off talking about family matters then moving on to schools, then China in general and then she always seem to have something to say about the US, Hollywood, Obama, Sarah Palin, US music....etc.... any US related stuff that she can think of , sometimes to the point of absolute boredom, I ask her if she has anything else to talk about or any other countries she knows, she replies : "I am just bored and why should I talk about other countries, I have no interests" . I cannot understand her obssession and my dad told me that's how the people in China are, they talk mostly about the US (This is just one person's opinion, please don't think it holds true for everyone else). I still don't know if this is entirely true.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Europeans don't really consider or feel they are from the same country when everything is ok. They make fun of each other and dig each other. They behave as a single block ONLY if THEIR interests and dignity are collectively affected. Moreover, Chinese are already united and there's no need to let abominable Koreans and Japanese join us because they're culturally different. Plus Japanese are xenophobic and isolated, I never find that It's easier to communicate with Japanese than with westerners. Koreans are better but they are so paranoid and nationalistic that sometimes I feel disgusted with them. As a whole, I feel very comfortable with Chinese wherever they are from. I feel even better with a Uighur than with a Jap.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most Chinese are only interested to compare China with the US , but less to the immediate geographic neighbours such as Korea and Japan --- this might not sound logical to non-Chinese, but it is absolutely logical for Chinese mentality. Think about it:

1. typical Chinese mentality is trying to rise as the No.1, as we were used to be in history.

2. the US is the current No.1, hence naturally is the direct comparison target for most Chinese.

3. most people from other countries have no such No.1 mentality inbedded in their DNA, which is influenced by their cultural , social, historical background via thousands years of learning, hence they will not subsconciously trying to compare themselves to the US in everything they do.

4. Korea /Japan might be a distant topic to Chinese, but they are not that distant at all conceptionally, and maybe vice versa. It is because that all three know clearly in our minds that we are all East Asians, and even though we are in the different frase of development, we share a common cultural and social background and value systems, namely Chinese confuciusm. So what's the point to compare amongst ourselves while all three know that in essence we are mostly the same, except with different sizes of pockets currently?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Japan is a small (geographywise) island country, which is constantly looking for a master in her history.

In most part of the history, China was her master - culturally and technologically, with Korea being her immediate "captain".

The western gunboats opened Japan centries ago which convinced her that a new master was on the rise. So Japan had been trying so hard to adapt the the new master culrually and technologically, and started to despise her old master China and her captain Korea. -- the reason why Chinese and Koreans(both North and South) hate Japanese so much for the WWII : basically they were the traiter of their very own cultural heritage.

Japan continued this westernization till 70s and 80s, until they realize that they too can have a chance being No.1. In a Chinese saying: a mouse could grow courage to shoot a cat if given a handgun. It's not a realistic thought though. They failed to challenge the US.

So it's not hard to imagine what Japan feels and acts: being 2/3 east Asian, 1/3 Western, knowing less the East than a true East Asian, knowing less than a westerner than a true Westerner, to a a certain extent hate and being hated by both the East and the West. So neither the East nor the West trust Japan fully. They reap what they sow!

No worries. When China is back again, Japan will jump ship into China's arms in no time. :lol:

·
Registered
640 Posts
@Panda

You are quite wrong about nobody else having no. 1 mentality. I know a lot of Japanese who think Japan is more appropriate for the world leadership than the u.s.. And I know a lot of Koreans who think they might not be no. 1 of the world, but absolutely deserve the leadership in East Asia because x, y, z...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Japan is a small (geographywise) island country, which is constantly looking for a master in her history.

In most part of the history, China was her master - culturally and technologically, with Korea being her immediate "captain".

The western gunboats opened Japan centries ago which convinced her that a new master was on the rise. So Japan had been trying so hard to adapt the the new master culrually and technologically, and started to despise her old master China and her captain Korea. -- the reason why Chinese and Koreans(both North and South) hate Japanese so much for the WWII : basically they were the traiter of their very own cultural heritage.

Japan continued this westernization till 70s and 80s, until they realize that they too can have a chance being No.1. In a Chinese saying: a mouse could grow courage to shoot a cat if given a handgun. It's not a realistic thought though. They failed to challenge the US.

So it's not hard to imagine what Japan feels and acts: being 2/3 east Asian, 1/3 Western, knowing less the East than a true East Asian, knowing less than a westerner than a true Westerner, to a a certain extent hate and being hated by both the East and the West. So neither the East nor the West trust Japan fully. They reap what they sow!

No worries. When China is back again, Japan will jump ship into China's arms in no time. :lol:

^^ This would qualify as the single most ridiculous summary of history as we know it. :nuts::nuts: .

·
Registered
159 Posts
@ Leo_sh

You have just proved one of my earlier points that East Asians do share lots of common points - such as to be No.1, influenced by Chinese mentality throughout centries.

However, tiny countries such as Japan and Korea have no hope in reality to lead the world, regardless what some individuals claimed (10? 500? or 10,000 persons?) in your own limited social circle . Personal ego blown out of porpotion is no proof as you tried to argue in your case . Otherwise, India would be the superpower in the world already because in many other people's social circles, millions of Indians have already declared that India is the No.1 in the world. Only empirical and actural facts can serve as the proof on this account.

UK is the only country in world history who made it being THE superpower as a small country. However, unlike UK, giant breakbroughs with widespeard lead in new industrilization on civil and military technologies, combined with free natural resources, massive overseas markets, colonies on a global scale, are luxuaries that neither Japan nor Korea could ever dream to afford in mordern era.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Snow is red,

Povocative it might sould, not neccesarily groundless, even though definitely non-politically correct. In fact all ground-breaking theories and thoughts are all provocative at the time. I admit that i might be a bit overexaggerated here and there, since Panda is @ play at weekends, not writing a scientific thesis here. Nonetheless, I am convinced that I am generally in line with the reality. Try to say that the earth is not located in the center of the universe in Dark Ages? I am almost certain that Snapdragon would be the first to snap you if he/she were living in that era.

Of course I can not read all the thoughts of all people. Hehe, hey, no one can. That's why we invented statistics. I have no time pasting loads of that in this thread to prove every single of my sentence. However, since you are pretty good at gathering this kind of info, I know that you know it pretty well that stats are on my sides, don't you? Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of your China's techonological development thread.

·
Registered
25,152 Posts
Would you accept some supranational stuff such as a common market or a single currency? Pan-"Asian" free trade zone is on the way within one or two decades I bet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
UK is the only country in world history who made it being THE superpower as a small country. However, unlike UK, giant breakbroughs with widespeard lead in new industrilization on civil and military technologies, combined with free natural resources, massive overseas markets, colonies on a global scale, are luxuaries that neither Japan nor Korea could ever dream to afford in mordern era.
Don't forget that there was Mongolia which rose from a tribe and conquered a large part of Euroasian continent.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

Toyotomi Hideyoshi? Greater-East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere? Ryukyu Islands? etc.
Don't forget that there was Mongolia which rose from a tribe and conquered a large part of Euroasian continent.
You could add Spain, as well as Rome and Greece.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It depends on how well run the European Union.
The 'West' itself is an ally (at least in academic and newspapers) that based on raical identity not political. 'West' has nothing to do with geographical either when one considers its allies come from number of continents - transtlantic to australasia. I think the most scary thing is when ideological war is over, human race would turn back to their basic instinct - racism. EU is just a synopsis for new mega-nations in global scale?

·
Registered
25,152 Posts
Toyotomi Hideyoshi? Greater-East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere? Ryukyu Islands? etc.

You could add Spain, as well as Rome and Greece.

^^ Portugal is probably the most impressive case. A very tiny land with just 1-2 million inhabitants got a major oceanic empire.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.