Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A non-manc in another forum (cant remember the person or the forum!lol) was sayin that they thought manchesters skyline in 2008 would look similiar to present day atlanta, and that manc would get a 1000ft scraper in the near future.

Was just interested to see what anybody thinks of this. Do you agree with this/ think it is possible or realsistic??

for example, do we have the population, infrastructure and jobs to support this prediction?

any thoughts?

·
Mmm, Danone
2,043 Posts
I'm not at all educated enough to say yes or no to most points but it'll be a long bloody wait until we get a 300m tower.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i agree with you uk2012, we're getting closer almost every month.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
we'll get there.

G

·
I think 2008 is pushing it somewhat, but I think 2012 is perfectly possible, just in time for London hosting the Olympics.

G

·
dgnr8 said:
Yeah alright, can we all stop being children now and gain a sense of perspective?
A sense of perspective? Look at the night photo above. I can only make out about 10 tall buildings in it. I think this is perfectly feasible for Manchester by 2012.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why the hell would you want Manchester to look like Atlanta? Great skyline, but get up close and Manchester kicks it's arse. No... Manchester needs to look like Manchester, not aspire to copy so sprawling American city.

G

·
dgnr8 said:
No EB, it's nothing but a little boy's dreams about wanting to be the biggest and best.
If that was true I'd be wanting a skyline like NYC with a few supertalls thrown in. It's got nothing to do with that. My personal opinion is that some of the best cities in the world barely have a skyline at all. I honestly do believe, though, that Manchester could manage to have a cluster of around 10 tallish Eastgate-sized towers by 2012.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
caw123 said:
Not realistic at all. Our city centre is already reaching saturation point for posh yuppie flats and Beetham is barely half way.
Agreed. Manchester's boom will probably slow down a lot over the next few years (unless it takes a new shape, one that doesnt involve residential schemes) and the city will have a steady growth.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
We can't keep going at this rate that's for sure. I'm sure the BBC move could fill a few towers though. And if this knowledge capital business takes off who knows.

G

·
caw123 said:
We can't keep going at this rate that's for sure. I'm sure the BBC move could fill a few towers though. And if this knowledge capital business takes off who knows.
Speaking of moves from London, do you know what building MI5 are taking in Manchester yet?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts