SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
this project has been dead for a long time
Last I heard, metro was moving the Purple station to Westwood Blvd.to make room for this. This would be odd if the hotel is cancelled, since UCLA is building its shuttle station next to where the Gayley station would have been. Or am I way behind on this?

·
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
849 Posts

Just love this picture. Makes it look like the Flatiron Building in New York, although it won't have the cross street luxury.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Love it! This will be accessible by future Purple Line I imagine.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Basically, they had to put the stop at Westwood and Wilshire to allow the building to be built.

I think you and I discussed the Westwood stop some time ago: you favored Wishire/Westwood and I favored Gayley since UCLA was centering their shuttle service at that point plus it keeps foot traffic off away from the Wilshire/Westwood intersection. Apparently Gayley is not possible if this building goes in.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I'd like a UCLA stop and appreciate your approach. But I've been on Wilshire in that area and there are a ton of busses coming and going. A UCLA stop would be great for the students but not the gen pop.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
There is no such thing as a UCLA stop, as Wilshire/Gayley is about 75 yards away from Wilshire/Westwood. Neither intersection is remotely close to campus. UCLA students will still have to use the campus shuttle routes to get down to the proposed Purple Line stop.

The Gayley intersection would theoretically be a better option than Westwood because Gayley has mostly apartments housing students, who are typically less likely to own cars as opposed to Westwood which is mostly SFH's and naturally less likely to need to use the Metro system.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
There is no such thing as a UCLA stop, as Wilshire/Gayley is about 75 yards away from Wilshire/Westwood. Neither intersection is remotely close to campus. UCLA students will still have to use the campus shuttle routes to get down to the proposed Purple Line stop.

The Gayley intersection would theoretically be a better option than Westwood because Gayley has mostly apartments housing students, who are typically less likely to own cars as opposed to Westwood which is mostly SFH's and naturally less likely to need to use the Metro system.
As I recall, UCLA was building a shuttle center on the surface lot NW of Gayley/Wilshire near Kinross to serve student housing, the subway, the medical center and main campus. This is closer to the 405 and avoids the Westwood/Wilshire intersection, plus it has existing multilevel parking structures.

People exiting the subway could go directly to the UCLA/Medical Center shuttle without walking 2-3 blocks to Kinross/Veteran. But, from Metro's website, it seems that they can't work around the building and want to build at Westwood.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
As I recall, UCLA was building a shuttle center on the surface lot NW of Gayley/Wilshire near Kinross to serve student housing, the subway, the medical center and main campus. This is closer to the 405 and avoids the Westwood/Wilshire intersection, plus it has existing multilevel parking structures.

People exiting the subway could go directly to the UCLA/Medical Center shuttle without walking 2-3 blocks to Kinross/Veteran. But, from Metro's website, it seems that they can't work around the building and want to build at Westwood.
I personally haven’t heard anything about a plan for construction of a “shuttle center” in Lot 36 (doesn't mean it's nonexistant), although to be fair I’m not sure what that even really means. There is already a campus shuttle stop north of Lot 36 on Kinross between Veteran and Gayley. There is also a campus shuttle stop at Wilshire/Gayley (Midvale), which like I mentioned is a block away from Wilshire/Westwood. Obviously UCLA always has the freedom to adjust their shuttle routes, and they may do so when the Purple Line stop opens. Point is, even given the current UCLA shuttle routes (subject to change as needed), the distance one would need to walk to get from the Wilshire/Westwood metro station to a UCLA shuttle will be minimal.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
I personally haven’t heard anything about a plan for construction of a “shuttle center” in Lot 36 (doesn't mean it's nonexistant), although to be fair I’m not sure what that even really means. There is already a campus shuttle stop north of Lot 36 on Kinross between Veteran and Gayley. There is also a campus shuttle stop at Wilshire/Gayley (Midvale), which like I mentioned is a block away from Wilshire/Westwood. Obviously UCLA always has the freedom to adjust their shuttle routes, and they may do so when the Purple Line stop opens. Point is, even given the current UCLA shuttle routes (subject to change as needed), the distance one would need to walk to get from the Wilshire/Westwood metro station to a UCLA shuttle will be minimal.
Again, I am talking from maybe 3 years ago, but the theory was that the subway would open into a plaza with food and light retail that also had shelters and turn-arounds for a greatly increased shuttle service (thousands of additional students, patients, administration and sports fans would use the shuttle after the subway opens).

Crowds exiting at Westwood would be likely to jam up a corner which is already very bad. Not a disaster, but not as convenient for riders or drivers as having it at Gayley.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Has Gayley turned into the "invisible tower" or has WolverineMan gone to the dark side?

In other words, any action at all on this? I guess I'll check it out when I'm in town next week.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Still nothing, this is one of three large prime location parcels in Westwood still untouched. In other Westwood news, a new Target has opened. I know, it's shocking that it's taken this long for an all-in-one discount department store to open with such a needy populace in close proximity. Also, an off-shoot of Umami Burger has opened in the past couple months and Chick-fil-a is on the way.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Still nothing, this is one of three large prime location parcels in Westwood still untouched. In other Westwood news, a new Target has opened. I know, it's shocking that it's taken this long for an all-in-one discount department store to open with such a needy populace in close proximity. Also, an off-shoot of Umami Burger has opened in the past couple months and Chick-fil-a is on the way.
Thanks. Not really much to celebrate this holiday season. Guess I'll stick to DT, Hollywood and La Brea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts