Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
WARREN
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting this thread ready for discussions related to our next Commonwealth Games event that commences on April 4th.

Doesn't feel like that long ago since the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games. I'm confident that the Gold Coast will put on a better event and it will be something to be proud of :yes:

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Some weak mischief being made by butt sore networks without the TV rights (specifically network 10) - they are reporting slow ticket sales. In fact 1.2 million tickets have already been sold - that's 90%. They expect that to rise to 95%. A good effort for a regional city.

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
And Channel 9 have been banned :lol:

THE Nine Network has had its Commonwealth Games accreditation suspended after broadcasting footage of Saturday’s opening ceremony dress rehearsal.

The network broadcast footage of the rehearsal on Sunday night in what organisers deemed to be a breach of news access rules.

“Channel 9 News broadcast footage of Saturday night’s Opening Ceremony Dress Rehearsal, which breached News Access Rules and accepted industry conventions regarding confidentiality of Games ceremonial rehearsals,” the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation (GOLDOC) said in a statement.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/common...n/news-story/d53eed3707efee987adc24349d934fa7

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
"Regional City" ...tee hee.

We need a regional city skyline battle.

Gold Coast vs Geelong - Fight!
Gold Coast vs Fremantle - Fight!
Gold Coast vs Newcastle - Fight!
Gold Coast vs Broken Hill - Fight!

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
I think it will be a good event, for those attending, it's all about the vibe with these sort of events, yes it's an Olympics wannabe but you know, if it has that 'meeting of the nations' sort of vibe at events and in the city then that's what's fun, the actual sport you're watching - who cares, half the time it's something random at the Olympics you don't even care about anyway;) So the vibe is what counts.

Reactions: tic

·
3,135 Posts
I think it will be a good event, for those attending, it's all about the vibe with these sort of events, yes it's an Olympics wannabe but you know, if it has that 'meeting of the nations' sort of vibe at events and in the city then that's what's fun, the actual sport you're watching - who cares, half the time it's something random at the Olympics you don't even care about anyway;) So the vibe is what counts.
It's the law, it's justice, it's....the vibe

·
Premium Member
9,618 Posts
The best bit so far has been the huff Annastacia Palaszczuk has taken about not getting to speak at the opening ceremony. Neither did Victorian Premier Steve Bracks for Melbourne 2006. Ex Premier Peter Beattie, who does love the spotlight, will get to speak. As well as being a games boss he is also a Rugby league commission chairman. Let's hope he understands the commonwealth nations better than the NRL after recently being unaware of who the Cronulla Sharks were in an interview.

As much as I dislike Beattie though, I do have to give him credit for whilst expressing his sincere regret at Anna P not getting to make a speech, then said "the Olympics haven't had politicians speak since Hitler".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04/palaszczuk-releases-commonwealth-games-speech/9616232

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Wow who knew Christine Anu was still kicking around. Thought it was just pre recorded at first.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I think it was great for showing how stunningly irrelevant the Royals are to this country. Ted Williams spoke much better than HRH.

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
They rely too much on projections these days. Compared to Glasgow it wasn't that great. I mean, great for a "regional city" of course. I'm sure Bendigo or Bunbury wouldn't come close. :|

They'd need a bit of temporary seating for a start...

·
Read Only
809 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised. The smoking ceremony was the highlight for me. The centrality of aboriginal culture in the ceremony jarred with the two old royals looking bored and pretty irrelevant.

·
3,135 Posts
Hayds why are you so butt sore? The laser projections were an outstanding high tech feature - they worked very well with the figures in the production. Also, for the first time ever, indigenous culture was the main feature, not just a token 5 minute segment. And thank the good lord we didn't have anything as ridiculous as a lawnmower and hills hoist dance or a flying tram. Cringe.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts