SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. the elite suburb of merivälja in eastern tallinn.

1. let's start off with a classic, a villa by emil urbel, completed in 1999.

2. another by emil urbel: villa from 2004.

5. ew!

7. this one is by allan strus -> http://www.aballanstrus.ee/

8. modern fortress by andres lember, completed in 2009.

10. by kalle vellevoog -> www.jvr.ee

14. this one's my absolute favorite! done by ralf tamm.

17. mediocre neofunk...

21. by vahur sova.

23. by ilmar heinsoo.

26. one more by ralf tamm

27. a couple of older stuff as well. here's the famous blue house by markus kaasik (now in 3+1 -> http://www.threeplusone.ee/) completed in 1998.

28. by raine karp, designed in 1975, completed in 1988.

29. from 1938. designed by adolf käsper for himself.

--

^ this of course does not reflect the overall situation in tallinn's suburbs.

·
8,846 Posts
Nice thread :eek:kay: I hope you take photos of other suburbs aswell. I like Lember's fortress-villa most...Béton brut at it's best. Rest of them are just too boring.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good photos, thanks for sharing. These are mostly good and modern buildings but outside of Viimsi and Merivälja, most of the suburbs are with very mixed architecture, every building looks different + the gardens are tiny. This is the result of Soviet Union, these "suvila's" had tiny houses, tiny gardens and were meant for summer. Now, when the people got wealthier, they started building huge houses on the small lots.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Nice, but lol some of this houses makes me think of the french movie "Mon Oncle". I hope I don't ruin your thread by posting a clip. The film is recomended. Give me a PM and I will dlete my post..

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in the sense that it "rules" the fields around cities, yes, but there's a huge difference too: people actually commission such buildings. but hey, i don't blame them. to me this is just bad taste but who am i to judge. i guess this type of building with a high roof maybe reflects the archetypical appearance or form of a safe and idyllic / arcadian home.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Alot of strange and interesting houses here, nice! Can't say i really liked any of the houses though, but still, bad architecture makes good architecture even better so its all fine by me! ;)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Wow, some people just lack good taste! Fortunately, most of the buildings in this thread represent the style that I dig.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
hehe, well i guess me and too much concrete still does not mix up! What i ment was i think almost all of these houses is above average nice! They are really cool esp. this one, and this one, while this one and this one could have been great if they did something different with the color of the facades etc.

But all in all, i would not live in any of them! :p

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
^^ huh what?? i have said these houses is really cool, but i would not like to live in any of them. But you guys can just buy a house if everybody found their dream house in this thread! ;)

note, my own house i got 2 years ago is much uglier than those houses in this thread! :p

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
2. the elite suburb of merirahu in western tallinn

30. a huge villa for an ex mayor of tallinn, designed by emil urbel who's also the author of this area's masterplan and design guidelines.

31. another angle.

33. this should be by aet architects.

34. this is by lembit-kaur stöör.

35. it's one of my favorites in merirahu.

36. this one's quite surprisingly by künnapu & padrik.

37. this should be by vahur sova.

38. hehe.

39. one of the few buildings here that ignore design guidelines of this little community. done by sverre laanjärv.

40. another one by vahur sova.

41. and one more by vahur sova.

42. by kalle rõõmus or someone from his office, i'm not sure.

43. i can't imagine how this thing got approved...

44. design by tarmo piirmets. built for one of the developers of merirahu.

45. from another angle.

46. an interesting building still u/c - see here -> http://www.urbanmark.ee/?path=11 Arhitektuur/Merirahu eramu/

47. by veronika valk.

48. by jvr.

49. seriously, one of the most stupid things here.

51. the same building.

54. and finally, a cool one by aivo schults.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts

34. this should be the work of koko architects.

35. it's one of my favorites in merirahu.

I really like this one!
It is a bit 70's (which really isn't my cup of tea) mainly because of the concrete and the brown I suppose, but never the less: Me like!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts