SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which US city comes across most to you in the following way:

• It is uniquely American, written all over it, giving the sense that it is truly the product of the United States.

• It holds up its very American nature by offering the world to see how many great qualities and attractives a uniquely American city can offer. In other words, it is very American but offers the very best of type of things you'd want to see in a US city.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The most "American" city is arguably Detroit.

--It mass-produced the car, effectively creating the "American lifestyle" that we know today.
--It created the first concrete-paved mile of road as well as the first urban expressway.
--The city was one of the first in the country to maintain a high home-ownership rate.
--It was one of the first cities where the 40 hour/5-day workweek became typical.
--It built the first suburban shopping mall.
--It epitomizes the flight of the middle-class to the suburbs.

A lot of the modern American "lifestyle" (cars, freeways, homeownership, suburbia) can at least partially trace its roots to Detroit.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Either Chicago or Philadelphia.

I'm also leaning towards Washington, DC because I feel very patriotic every time I visit. I think we all do.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I say Chicago.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
New York or Chicago...

However what represents how we really are more is maybe LA...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The most "American" city is arguably Detroit.

--It mass-produced the car, effectively creating the "American lifestyle" that we know today.
--It created the first concrete-paved mile of road as well as the first urban expressway.
--The city was one of the first in the country to maintain a high home-ownership rate.
--It was one of the first cities where the 40 hour/5-day workweek became typical.
--It built the first suburban shopping mall.
--It epitomizes the flight of the middle-class to the suburbs.

A lot of the modern American "lifestyle" (cars, freeways, homeownership, suburbia) can at least partially trace its roots to Detroit.
I thought those two things were Houston (Gulf Freeway and Sharpstown Mall).

Anyway, I'm leaning towards Washington DC. Love the place.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
This is one list I am SO glad that New Orleans isn't considered. LOL....

1 - 20 of 147 Posts