SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Journal - Friday September 28th 1990.

We have just had the 30th Great North Run, this was the TENTH. Bit of a coincidence with this year, as 'yet again' I was going to run, but didn't . . . OR (more like) I just DIDN'T!! . . .

As ever, I am happy to do enlargements of particular articles from the above page, if requested!

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Great North Run visitors set to spend £22m
by Babette Decker, The Journal, September 16th 2011

THE economic impact of this weekend’s Great North Run could see local businesses cash in to the tune of more than £22m.

More than 54,000 runners will pound the streets for charities across the country, as the North East plays host to the UKs biggest road race and the world’s biggest half-marathon.

And last night it was said that the 13.1-mile race would pump more than £22.1m into the local economy ... an increase of 26% on six years ago. In 2005, the Newcastle to South Shields run generated £17.6m.

David Newton, managing director of Nova International, organisers of the Bupa Great North Run, said: “We are delighted by the positive impact that the Great North Run has had on the local economy and we are hoping for a similar effect this year.”

Last year 73% of those taking part in the race hailed from outside Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, County Durham and the Tees Valley. More than 80% of those visitors spent at least one night in the city over the weekend, with nearly 15,000 staying in hotels or guest houses, while more than half enjoyed a meal out.

Many visiting runners also brought supporters with them and local participants persuaded friends and family from outside the region to come and cheer them on – an average of 2.45 spectators per person, each spending a further £111.62.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...et-to-spend-22m-61634-29432087/#ixzz1Y6FOQdaM

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Records fall at the Bupa Great North Run 2011
The Journal, September 19th 2011

A NEW course record was set on a perfect day for running in yesterday's Bupa Great North Run.

Kenyan Martin Mathathi took nine seconds off the previous record in the elite men’s event while Lucy Kabuu, also from Kenya, took the honours in the women’s race. World champion Mo Farah, fresh from winning gold for Britain in Daegu, started the race and touched hands with hundreds of fun runners as they set off from Newcastle to South Shields. He said: “It’s an amazing feeling to be here. Everybody’s so up for it. It’s a cold day and yet the whole place is packed out, the streets are lined five deep.

“I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Alongside the 5,000m champion at the start was Dr Emma Egging, widow of Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging who was killed during a Red Arrows display last month. Dr Egging ran the course wearing a red number four in memory of her husband, who flew Red Four. “We used to run together, this is the first half marathon I’ve ran without him,” she said.

“I’ve had support all along the way and it’s been fantastic.”

Dr Emma Egging, wife of Flt Lt Egging, who was killed when his Red Arrows plane crashed.

As well as the display over the start line on the Central Motorway, the Red Arrows also performed a flyover at the Tyne Bridge, in a ‘missing man’ formation in tribute to Flt Lt Egging, who crashed during a display flight at Bournemouth Air Festival.

The course was as colourful as ever, with runners taking part for a variety of causes close to their hearts.

“The weather has been ideal for the runners. Despite a heavy shower in the middle of the run, I think the thousands of runners who were still out there at that point would appreciate the cooling shower. Between them they raised millions of pounds for charity and it has been one of the most emotional Great North Runs for a number of reasons.”

Read More (Five Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-north-run-2011-61634-29447567/#ixzz1YO6b5nw4

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mo Farah to take on Haile Gebrselassie in Great North Run
Evening Chronicle, August 15th 2012

Mo Farah, who will take on Haile Gebrselassie in this year's Bupa Great North Run

NEWLY-CROWNED Olympic 5,000m and 10,000m gold medallist Mo Farah will face Haile Gebrselassie in next month's Bupa Great North Run. With a time of 60 minutes 23 seconds, Farah is Great Britain’s fastest half-marathon performer, and he will take on Gebrselassie – the world’s greatest distance runner – in what should be a classic race on the iconic Newcastle to South Shields course on September 16.

Gebrselassie, a former world half-marathon record holder, has a personal best of 58min 55sec. He won his debut Bupa Great North Run in 2010 in a very impressive time of 59 mins 33 secs.

Now event organisers are confident 2012 will see Farah become the first British athlete ever to smash the milestone 60-minute barrier at the head of the record 55,000 runners taking on the race.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...great-north-run-72703-31624573/#ixzz23dCNZRSZ

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mo Farah to take on Haile Gebrselassie in Great North Run
Evening Chronicle, August 15th 2012

Mo Farah, who will take on Haile Gebrselassie in this year's Bupa Great North Run

NEWLY-CROWNED Olympic 5,000m and 10,000m gold medallist Mo Farah will face Haile Gebrselassie in next month's Bupa Great North Run. With a time of 60 minutes 23 seconds, Farah is Great Britain’s fastest half-marathon performer, and he will take on Gebrselassie – the world’s greatest distance runner – in what should be a classic race on the iconic Newcastle to South Shields course on September 16.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...great-north-run-72703-31624573/#ixzz23dCNZRSZ

While Mo Farah is NOT now going to compete ^^ he is going to be one of those starting the race . . .

Sporting heroes set for Great North Run
By Coreena Ford, Sunday Sun, September 9th 2012

AS well as sporting heroes from the Olympics and Paralympics, many celebrities are lacing up their trainers for the Great North Run this year. Keen runner and children’s author Terry Deary, the brains behind the Horrible Histories series, is running for Integrating Children, a County Durham-based charity which helps disabled children take part in sports and other events. The X Factor and Popstar to Opera star winner Joe McElderry is running on behalf of the Teenage Cancer Trust, a charity which has come close to his heart since winning the reality show in 2009.

Local and national TV stations are also well represented by the likes of Sky’s Philippa Tomson, Tyne Tees TV’s Kenny Toal, ESPN’s Ray Stubbs and BBC presenter Sophie Raworth.

Lots of the Emmerdale cast are taking part again, including Jeff Hordley, who plays Cain Dingle, Chris Chittell, who plays Eric Pollard, and Chelsea Halfpenny who plays Amy Wyatt, and EastEnders actress Charlie Brooks, who plays Janine Butcher, is running once more. Others include former England cricketer Geoff Cook, one-time Sunderland star turned football pundit Michael Gray, Smooth Radio presenter Mark Goodier and Cumbria-born Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton.

Mo Farah, who started the run last year, will also be doing the honours. The double Olympic gold winner was supposed to be running the race himself, but he will now turn his attention to an invitational two-mile event on the Newcastle and Gateshead Quayside on the Saturday afternoon, and then will start Sunday’s big race.

Read More - http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/nor...-set-for-great-north-run-show-79310-31796025/

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
NewcastleGateshead Great North Run weekend "Great North City Games" 2012

Mo Farah, who started the run last year, will also be doing the honours. The double Olympic gold winner was supposed to be running the race himself, but he will now turn his attention to an invitational two-mile event on the Newcastle and Gateshead Quayside on the Saturday afternoon, and then will start Sunday’s big race.

Building of the straight track in progress Wednesday 12/09/12 on the Gateshead side - these pictures by myself approx 1900 (hosted on Photobucket)

Long jump runway and pit already constructed on Newcastle side and protective fence erected and security guard in place - what an awful job.

KEN

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Building of the straight track in progress Wednesday 12/09/12 on the Gateshead side - these pictures by myself approx 1900 (hosted on Photobucket)

Long jump runway and pit already constructed on Newcastle side and protective fence erected and security guard in place - what an awful job.

KEN

Yes, the "Great North City Games" have been quite a feature of Great North Run weekend, for a few years now.

They are fully covered by the BBC on the Saturday, and then on the Sunday all the normal BBC Schedules are cancelled to cover the GNR itself, all morning.

Hope they get good weather, I think the forecast (what do they know!!) is quite good!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Great North Run 1981 in 3 parts. Some excellent views specially of the 'Blue' Tyne bridge.

I've had a look in the index and only the 10th and 30th runs have been covered.

Great North Run 1981 Part 1

Great North Run 1981 Part 2

Great North Run 1981 Part 3

·
Part Time Contributor
43,347 Posts
Tyne Bridge decorated ahead of this year’s Great North Run

This piece courtesy of today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tyne-bridge-decorated-ahead-years-5738897

Nothing like getting an extra bit of advertising for BUPA - the Great North Run isn't on for another month or so!

By Katie Davies - 16thy August 2013

With just weeks before thousands of runners descend on the region for this year’s Bupa Great North Run, final preparations are being made to an enormous sign to mark the event.

This week The Journal revealed how workmen were busy installing an enormous sign on the Tyne Bridge to mark this year’s run, which will see thousands of professional athletes and fun-runners taking to the streets of Newcastle and South Tyneside.

The Bupa Great North Run sign – which is the first to go up on the landmark bridge since last year’s Olympic rings were taken down – is made from aluminum and is powder-coated in blue. And at night it will be lit up with a halo of white LED lights.

It has been commissioned by Nova, organisers of the run, ahead of this year’s race on September 15.

Last night pictures taken by The Journal showed the words “Bupa” and “run” on the bridge.

Work is expected to continue all week, with lanes on the bridge closed to traffic from 8pm.

Bosses at Nova said they expected this year’s event to be one of the best yet.

David Hart, communications director at organisers Nova, said: “We’re looking forward to another incredible weekend of sport in the North East.

“With a record number of participants and a world-class elite field featuring World Champion Mo Farah, the Bupa Great North Run is set to be one of the best yet.

“We’re sure each and every runner will appreciate the amazing support we’ve come to expect from local spectators along the way.

“It all begins on the Saturday with the Bupa Great North 5k, and the Bupa Junior and Mini Great North Run on the Quayside.

“In the afternoon, there will be world-class athletics on the banks of the Tyne at the Great North City Games, which, as always, is completely free to spectate.”

The half-marathon attracted a record number of applications this year, with as many as 122,000 people keen to take part, from whom 54,000 entrants were chosen.

And for the seventh year in a row, The Journal has given away the coveted final 100 places in the race to our readers.

Work on the signs is expected to continue all week, with lanes on the bridge being closed to traffic from 8pm until 5.30am. Diversions are in place over the Redheugh Bridge for oversized traffic.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Tyne Bridge - part erected Bupa Great North Run signs, 16/08/13

As also covered in Steve Ellwood's Skybar post http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=106215386&postcount=4844

These pictures taken by myself Friday 16/08/13 approx 1215 showing part erected Bupa Great North Run signs to east face of Tyne Bridge

Not as good as the Olympic Rings of last year - in fact horrible

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,347 Posts

Following up Ken's photographs I took these of the completed sign yesterday when I was at St Mary's Heritage Centre (23.08.2013).

One thing that struck me as 'strange' was the fact the advert is only on the eastern side of the Tyne Bridge. I assume that is the more 'photogenic' side for the TV camera's etc when the race is being televised. However I would have thought that the sign would have been replicated on the western side so that additional coverage could have been had by passengers, and potential customers of BUPA could have seen it when passing over the High Bridge,Metro Bridge and King Edward Bridge.

2013/0713/01/ADV | Display of temporary internally illuminated Bupa Great North Run signage to be erected on Tyne Bridge. | Tyne Bridge Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2013/0713/01/ADV
Alternative Reference PP-02652777
Application Received Mon 20 May 2013
Address Tyne Bridge Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Display of temporary internally illuminated Bupa Great North Run signage to be erected on Tyne Bridge.
Status Granted Conditionally
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MN3URTBSAP000

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Newcastle Bridges - Vol 1

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The "Great North" City Games on NewcastleGateshead Quayside - part of "Great North Run" weekend

These photographs taken by myself from east footpath of Tyne Bridge approx 1145 on 12/09/13 showing work to create "track" on Gateshead Quays for City Games to be held Saturday 14/09/13 - images hosted on Photobucket

Track for jumps event in position on Newcasle side, east of Pitcher & piano Pub

KEN

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great North Run 2013 - pictures part 1

A horrible and overcast morning with rain and strong wind forecast and approx 56,000 were entered in the Great North Run so here are are few pictures (over a number of posts) taken by myself from The Sage Car Park, around the Gateshead end of Tyne Bridge and at the Park Lane roundabout onto the Felling By Pass in the period approx 1000 - 1200 to reflect the enjoyment of the mass participation and fancy dress for charity side of the event - images hosted on Photobucket

In the build up - clothing on way to South Shields

approx 1050

1105 Red Arrows Flypast

Approx 1110

How the TV pictures of the race on the bridge are taken

More to follow

KEN

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great North Run 2013 - pictures part 2

A horrible and overcast morning with rain and strong wind forecast and approx 56,000 were entered in the Great North Run so here are are few pictures (over a number of posts) taken by myself from The Sage Car Park, around the Gateshead end of Tyne Bridge and at the Park Lane roundabout onto the Felling By Pass in the period approx 1000 - 1200 to reflect the enjoyment of the mass participation and fancy dress for charity side of the event - images hosted on Photobucket

The Drum Band at approx 1120 as the heavy rain arrived - but luckily only lastred about 25 minutes

Passing the new Trinity Square Development, Gateshead 1125 in heavy rain

At the Park Lane roundabout approx 1130

More to follow

KEN

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great North Run 2013 - pictures part 3

And after his 40 day John O'Groats to Lands End run that ended Friday - Tony the Fridge at 1140

More to follow

KEN

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great North Run 2013 - pictures part 4

More to follow

KEN

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great North Run 2013 - pictures part 5

As well as Tony the Fridge - Dave Taylor and everything but the kitchen sink supporting St Oswalds Hospice

and they were not the last as it approached 1200

No doubt some will be out there as I post this at about 1425

Congratulations to all taking part and raising so much for so many good causes

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,347 Posts
Great North Run 2013 round-up: All the action from the world's greatest half-marathon

Well done to Ken for braving the weather to get the shots, I took the chickens way out and watched the race from the comfort of my armchair - marvellous climax to the men's race.

The Chronicle Live have of course reported on the occasion - this from the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/great-north-run-2013-round-up-6025106

Great North Run 2013 round-up: All the action from the world's greatest half-marathon
By Andrew Fowler, Richard Fletcher - 15th September 2013

The Great North Run 2013 is coming to a close as more than 55,000 people have taken to the streets and roads of the North East to take part and raise money for charities.

Fans from around the world have come to watch friends, family and even a celeb or two, take part in the half marathon in what is one of the biggest sporting calendar events of the year.

Preparations were well underway before the big day and as the event drew ever closer weather warnings came in and runners were faced with wet and windy conditions - bursts of rain and gusts of 30-40mph winds did not disappoint as they fell upon the North East.

As the race got underway the Elite women were set off and not too long after, the Elite men, joined by the rest of the field, took to the streets for the beginning of the 13.1-mile run. We were at the start to capture the moment the race began .

To get the race going, England cricketer and Ashes hero Graeme Swann was joined by Olympic gold and silver medallist Christine Ohuruogu to officially set the runners off. They were not the only celebrities out on the course as a host of famous faces donned their running gear to raise money for their chosen charities.

We spoke to Graeme Swann and former Wales international footballer Robbie Savage ahead of the race to get their thoughts on the day and why they got involved.

With some runners merely crossing the start line, some of the world's best athletes were crossing the finishing line - and this included double Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah. Unfortunately the GB favourite could not overcome Kenenisa Bekele, who pipped Farah to the line on one of the most exciting finishes to the race, ever.

Read more and see the Chronicle gallery of images @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/great-north-run-2013-round-up-6025106

·
Part Time Contributor
43,347 Posts
Great North Run 2013: Through the years from Keegan to Mr Motivator

From the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/great-north-run-nostalgia-pictures-6021343

Great North Run 2013: Through the years from Keegan to Mr Motivator
By Evening Chronicle - 14th September 2013

Mr Motivator, Frank Bruno and Kevin Keegan - just some of the names through the last 32 years of the Great North Run.

It's been inspiring tens of thousands of runners to lace up their trainers and run the streets and over the Tyne.

We've raided our archives and pulled out some iconic shots of the event since 1981.

This year will be the 33rd Great North Run and promises to be one of the most spectacular yet as the likes of Mo Farah compete for glory.

Plus there are bound to be yet more weird and wonderful fancy dress runners raising money for charity.

See image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/great-north-run-nostalgia-pictures-6021343

1 - 20 of 235 Posts