Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bacon
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at some pics of Axis - looking eastward up Whitworth St you can see where the Hacienda used to be. I know the club itself had to fold for various reasons, but of all the buildings in Manchester that should've been listed for cultural significance in modern times, that was it. I'm sure any other building in town of such global renown from the Victorian era would be untouchable by now, whereas the Hac was sold down the river for another block of flats of limited architectural merit. I'd have thought the developer could've been required (at the very least) to keep the facade, or (better still) keep some of the internal space of the building intact, but hey-ho it never happened and now it's gone. Maybe I've just got rose-tinted spectacles of my favourite place from when I first moved over here, but maybe we've chucked the baby out with the bathwater in the name of progress with that one. Thoughts on a postcard please folks...

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Hacienda didn’t need much help to be demolished. It was virtually falling down all by its self. So how much of it could be saved I don’t know.
For me – what made it special was what went on inside. The building was merely a container for it.
The Roundhouse part aside (possibly) it was architecturally unremarkable.
The new building does at least give a nod to it – with the curved end, stripy pillars, and the history thing on the canal side.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We need a mmm - museum of Mcr music somewhere. Ideally in a historical music venue but these are disappearing eg the Twisted Wheel birthplace of northern soul a few yrs back.
Maybe Mcr is trying to emulate Lpl which demolished the original cavern club in the 70s.

·
10th February 2008
61,127 Posts
Planning Application. Couldn't be Arsenal posting it. Sorry.

All the bricks at the front of the building are being removed as there are large cracks across them. They are being replaced by other bricks that are slightly different, as the original bricks are no longer made.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.