SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Originally posted by maxtoon, 19th February 2009, who said . . . [/I]"Check out this image of Forth St/Stephenson Works and the area behind Central Station, taken in 1972, and also note the demolition work at Neville St/Grainger St junction, which is when the old 'Douglas Hotel' which contained the famous 'Long Bar' featured in Get Carter, was demolished" . . .

A MAP showing the area to be discussed, here on this "Forth Banks / Pottery Lane" Thread . .

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Forth Yards, more specifically rebuilding on the arena and carpark, would be my preferred site for a new Conference Centre.

It is a sloping area but it's already been part flattened (for the arena) and as for being out of the way - conference centres usually are, ie excel or javits, on the fringes of the urban centre, because they need huge expanses of free land and anyway tend not to blend into the urban realm very well. anyway Forth Yards isn't THAT out of the way, being closer to central station than gateshead quays is, and anyway a convention centre would create it's own centering force with transport, hotels and other services clustering around the demand.

looking at models for inspiration, denver's recent convention centre is very nice and something like this would look good on the quays. however the urban integration would have to be of a very high quality to compensate for the lost public space.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think Forth Banks site makes sense, its not too far away from everything else. Its right next to Jurys Inn and will be located near the soon to be built Crowne Plaza, not forgetting the Copthorne down on the quayside and Royal Staion and Thistle at Central. Also you have access directly from A1 over the Redhugh Bridge and trains at Central, oh and of course our (ahem!) fantastic national bus station!:nuts:

·
The Legend
13,182 Posts
Yes, Forth Yards seems to be a better alternative, close to everything (including the chance to create a travelater from the station). Forth Yrds also seems to be a few years ahead in planning then what Gatesheads plans are. Maybe we could have both, it's well know the we lack cnference facilties alot, and need many more, enough for 2 dedicated places.

I agree with Historian, would the Gateshead Queyside of existed if it wasn't shadowed by Newcastle?, I think not. There wouldn't be any call for it. Just merge it along with North and South Tyneside into Greater Newcastle. It's pointless for 3 different councils to be working agisnt each other, and against NCC, when NCC will always come out on top because of it's transport links, non of these places would exist without Newcastle, sorry if your one of these Gateshead people who dislike Newcastle because Gateshead has always been seen to be the back ally of Newcastle, it is, so to is north and South Tyneside. Imgine how bad these places would be withour Newcastle, and lets be honest, they are not the best of places now.

Anyway, I can see that I'm rambling, and have sort of gone off topic again, maybe there is a call for a merge the council's thread on here.

Why does it seem that we on SSC are the only ones with any sense?

·
The Legend
13,182 Posts
agree, but tbf it is the opposition leader pointing out that it will be in Gateshead, while the lib dem deputy leader of newcastle says it is fine.
Maybe he has confidence in Forth Yards though. Like I said it seems to be further down the line, Greg said the other day that Barrets or someone like that are planning it currently. Maybe we are further down the line then the public know, and maybe he just says, "fine, you have a few years of hard work to catch up on, we are nearly there, go ahead try the compitition, your going to fail."

Or maybe, just maybe I'm reading too much into the fine part.

·
JAYPKAY
14 Posts
Also, forgive my ignorance but what did they call that huge train station/goods yard? It looks bigger than Central Station!
Same here, never seen any pictures of this yard before, has anybody seen any other pictures of it. Looks huge.

I was also interested in the large building in the second picture, looks like it is on or around Dog Bank.

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
Just found these absolutely fantastic aerials from 1929! Look at how gleamingly new the Tyne Bridge legs are!!

I found it particularly interesting comparing the top left-hand corner of the top photo (sorry unable to highlight with my equipment as yet) with that offered by the Newcastle Arts Centre for 1972 (item No.10 on www.newcastle-arts-centre.co.uk/Exhibition_Preview.htm) and then again comparing the same top photograph its right-hand side on this occasion
with photo-news footage from the 1960s here:-

www.gettyimages.com/detail/HL5951-001/Hulton-Archive

Sorry can't do a cut and paste just yet either.:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I found it particularly interesting comparing the top left-hand corner of the top photo (sorry unable to highlight with my equipment as yet) with that offered by the Newcastle Arts Centre for 1972 (item No.10 on www.newcastle-arts-centre.co.uk/Exhibition_Preview.htm) and then again comparing the same top photograph its right-hand side on this occasion
with photo-news footage from the 1960s here:-

www.gettyimages.com/detail/HL5951-001/Hulton-Archive

Sorry can't do a cut and paste just yet either.:)
Is anyone else constantly dissapointed by the design of the railway bridge cutting across the central motorway straight after the Tyne Bridge? On this photo, you can see the original design was more of a cerimonial gateway, which is kind of what it is. Presumably at some point the carriageway needed to be widened, and we ended up with a lump of concrete. Not dramatic, ormonumental, it just gets in the way. This could be a great location for a modern bridge.

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts

Interesting point on this photo ...

the eagle eyed among you may have spotted the remains of the 'first' Central Station which was used prior to the construction of the current 'central station' !!

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Interesting point on this photo ... the eagle eyed among you may have spotted the remains of the 'first' Central Station which was used prior to the construction of the current 'central station' !!
I can see it now, but I hadn't before! Excellent spot maxtoon!

I assume . . .

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
the line from Carlisle used to terminate by the Shot Factory at Elswick.
Yup, the 'Shot Tower' station remains can be seen to the left of the photo just off 'Railway St'. It closed in 1850 along with the old 'Forth Station' (Further up the line) and 'Carliol Square' station who's derelict buildings were used as a Bus Depot throughout most of the 60's. These all closed with the opening of the 'Central Station' in 1850.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I found this extremely ironic.

Bought some of the old OS maps the other day, for some research i'm doing and obviously had a look at the area I live in.

Some of the weekend residents of Jurys and local charvers must be historians as I now know (see below) why they all choose to relieve themselves beneath my balcony (overlooking the pedestrian archway through to Jurys Inn).

This is the 1914 (godfrey edition)Tyneside sheet 18 - Newcastle & Gateshead on a scale of 15" to the mile.

On a serious note though, if anyone has any pics of this area (pre Centre For Life) I'd be interested to see them.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

Bought some of the old OS maps the other day, for some research i'm doing and obviously had a look at the area I live in.

Some of the weekend residents of Jurys and local charvers must be historians as I now know (see below) why they all choose to relieve themselves beneath my balcony (overlooking the pedestrian archway throught to Jurys Inn).

This is the 1914 (godfrey edition)Tyneside sheet 18 - Newcastle & Gateshead on a scale of 15" to the mile.

On a serious note though, if anyone has any pics of this area (pre Centre For Life) I'd be interested to see them.
:lol: some things never change.

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts

Some of the weekend residents of Jurys and local charvers must be historians as I now know (see below) why they all choose to relieve themselves beneath my balcony (overlooking the pedestrian archway through to Jurys Inn).

This image is from the Newcastle Photostream and has been previously posted on this thread .. it shows the forth goods yard and cattle market area during the mid 20th century :eek:kay:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts