In April I visited my nephew who lives in Utrecht. Utrecht is the fourth city of the Netherland (344.000 inhabitants/ with suburbs approx. 650.000 inhabitants). Utrecht lies approx. 40 km southeast of Amsterdam.
1. First we visit the old city center. Utrecht is one of nthe oldest cities in the Netherlands.
2. The Domtoren, with a height of 112. meters, the highest building in the city.
4. The Oudegracht ('the old canal') with the wharf cellars.
5. We leave the shopping streets.
11. The Academiegebouw, one of the many buildings from the University.
28. A five minute walk to the west and the city looks very different : welcome to Hoog Catherijne, a huge shopping mall and central train station. The Utrecht CS is the busiest trainstation in the Netherland (57 million passengers each year). Also a lot of quite big office blocks, the new city hall (next picture), hotels etc.
31. We take the tram to Kanaleneiland (32. and further). Kanaleneiland is a neighbourhood in the western part of the city and was build between 1955 and 1971.
34. (and 36.) The high buildings are near the Central train station and Hoog- Catherijne
42. And the last one : sunset over Utrecht. Thanks for watching!