SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts
11 storeys is good for literally the most central spot in Auckland, also surrounded by multiple towers over 100m?

I'm not saying they should whack 50 floors there but in a City where space is a premium I don't think another 5 floors would have hurt.
But space isn’t really at a premium in Auckland though is it. Otherwise we wouldn’t have the godawful shite that passes for development in areas that are adjacent to the motorway ring on the edges of the CBD. Auckland probably has too much area for development for a city of its size. Height in the CBD is the product of design vanity rather than need like cities that are really geographically constrained, Hong Kong or NYC or Sydney’s narrow CBD for example.
Look at College Hill for instance, a really good inner city area on a north facing slope with a gorgeous harbour/city outlook and adjacent to one of the city’s historic neighbourhoods and yet the built environment there is all totally garbage.
Anyway presumably the Britomart Hotel developers have worked out how much floor plate they need and built accordingly. The surrounding building heights are irrelevant.

11 storeys is good for literally the most central spot in Auckland, also surrounded by multiple towers over 100m?

I'm not saying they should whack 50 floors there but in a City where space is a premium I don't think another 5 floors would have hurt.
Cooper & Co aren't allowed to build anything tall under its arrangements with Council (everything has to be in keeping with the 'low rise' nature of Britomart...)

Not a big fan of the windows but I do like the exterior otherwise. The brick looks good, very sympathetic to the area - more of this sort of design would be great - for suburban developments too.

Looks like this is opening in October, so a 2 year turnaround since shovels first in the ground:

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.