Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
  • 4th Longest suspension bridge in the world - Longest from 1981 to 1997
  • Towers are 155.5m (510ft) tall - only 2 metres shorter than Beetham Manchester for comparison
  • The towers are 36mm further apart at the top than they are at the bottom due to the curve of the earth.
  • Enough wire in the cables to circle the earth almost twice
  • Span: 1,410 metres (4,626 ft)
  • Total Length: 2,220 metres (7,283 ft)

Fookin' huge, and I think very elegant.

Official Website

Wikipedia

Found this on Youtube. Posted by some bloke called EddyK, with comments from someone called Wjfox! Anyone we know?!​

Best pictures I could find, but trust me. They don't do this beauty any justice at all!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
It looks elegant and monumental but I think the concrete lets it down a bit. 8/10

·
Registered
629 Posts
10/10 for holding that world record for so long.

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought for the day....

UK's tallest free standing structure: Emley Moor, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
UK's tallest/longest bridge: Humber Bridge, East Yorkshire
UK's tallest building outside London (soon to be) Lumiere, Leeds, West Yorkshire

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Before 1981 you either got the ferry from the centre of Hull to New Holland, a tiny village in North Lincolnshire or you went all the way round via M18, M180.

Can look a bit dull at times but its a real feat of engineering. Difficult to rate something like this but i'll give it 9/10.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
The setting of it so perfect. The flatness of the landscape makes the sky and horizon and mighty wide river seem massive and expansive. Will find some pics to show what I mean.

The bridge would look even more breathtaking if it was lit up at night, but proposals for this have never come to fruition mainly because of the estuaries standing as a conservation habitat for many species of rare wildlife.

Although I am biased, I could make a convincing argument to say that Hull is the most underrated city in the UK.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thought for the day....

UK's tallest building outside London (soon to be) Lumiere, Leeds, West Yorkshire
That's a very nice thought indeed :cheers:

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
www.thisishull.co.uk

MORE WONDERFUL THAN WEMBLEY!
1 reader has commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

12:30 - 31 May 2007

The Humber Bridge has beaten the UK's new home of football in a recent survey of engineering wonders.

The 2,220m (7,283ft) suspension bridge came sixth in a poll to name the top seven UK wonders, one place above the new Wembley Stadium in London.

The poll, which was conducted by teletextholidays, included Big Ben, which came top, the Eden Project in Cornwall and the Angel Of The North near Gateshead.

Article Continues

Plans for a bridge over the Humber were originally drawn up in the 1930s and were revised in 1955, but work did not begin until July 26, 1972.

It was finally opened by the Queen on 17 July, 1981, when it became the world's longest single-span suspension bridge. However, the bridge is now the fourth largest.

Bridge Master Peter Hill said: "We are delighted this structure is still recognised as an icon in the UK.

"Although we have now lost the title of the longest bridge, it is still the longest one people can walk or cycle across, so it still holds a record in that respect.

"It is pleasing the north of England still has a heritage to be proud of. It is self evidently a beautiful structure and displays its grandeur without whistles and bells. It is a testament to the rich history of British engineering skill."

The bridge held the record for the world's longest single-span suspension bridge for 16 years until the opening of the Great Belt Bridge, which connects the Danish islands of Zealand and Funen, in June 1997.

It was relegated to third place with the opening of the Japanese Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge in April 1998.

It is now the fourth longest single-span suspension bridge after Runyang Bridge in China, which opened in 2005.

Matt Cheevers, teletextholidays managing director, said: "British holidaymakers are now travelling further afield and this is certainly reflected in their choice of iconic symbols that reflect the modern-day wonders."

·
6,977 Posts
9/10 for shear scale of investment. How this was approved for funding is beyond me, but it's a great addition for the region. I used to cross it every week when still living with my parents in South Humberside (as it was then) and living in North Yorkshire at weekends.

·
35,227 Posts
well it was approved because we built huge capital projects until the oil shock of 1973. we had full employment and whatnot back then remember :)

yeah so we can beat that :p
uks tallest/longest bridge: lincolnshire
uks tallest structure: lincolnshire
oh, and we still have more 80 metre tall buildings than yorkshire. haha.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't think it is the nicest bridge in the UK, but it is one of the most striking.

A real asset for the county/metro region of Humberside. I think it even features on the Hull City crest?

And, if I remember rightly, one of the supports is inland (North Humberside bank) and one submerged in water (South Humberside bank)?

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
yeah so we can beat that :p
uks tallest/longest bridge: lincolnshire
uks tallest structure: lincolnshire
oh, and we still have more 80 metre tall buildings than yorkshire. haha.
Think you're forgetting one thing,

God's own county: Yorkshire ;)

But anywho. Back to the bridge, 10/10, no question about it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thought for the day....

so that's just the way it should be then.........we can't let London take the credit for everything!

"You can take a Man out of Yorkshire, but you can never take the Yorkshire out of the Man"

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so that's just the way it should be then.........we can't let London take the credit for everything!

"You can take a Man out of Yorkshire, but you can never take the Yorkshire out of the Man"
I'd agree with that, I was born in Barnsley!

·
Registered
30,590 Posts
What about people who move to Yorkshire... like me :) I dont really have Yorkshire Pride lol; I like individual places like Leeds. And I like alot of Yorkshire, but I hate Yorkshire Accents, and hate the whole Emmerdale-Stereotypical Country Yorkshire image (even though in reality youre more likely to find sprawling agglomerations than country villages).

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Nobody has mentioned that a builder fell into concrete and died. He is still in the concrete of the bridge today.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
It's true. There is a plaque where he is too. Saw it as a kid, and was on Discovery Channel the other week.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts