SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THIS IS A MAP WITH OUR TODAY´S TOUR. WE´LL SEE MUSEO THYSSEN, PASEO DEL PRADO, MUSEO DEL PRADO AND PARQUE DEL RETIRO. SORRY FOR THE HORRIBLE MAP, IT´S TAKEN FROM THE YELLOW PAGES HAHA AND IT DÓESN´T HAVE A COMPLETE VISION OF PARQUE DEL RETIRO BUT I THINK IT CAN BE USEFUL FOR US.

We start our tour in Plaza de Neptuno, the Roman god of the seas whose foutain presides the circus:

THIS IS THE THYSSEN MUSEUM, ONE OF THE BEST OF MADRID AND PROBABLY OF EUROPE TOO:

wE ARE NOW AT THE PASEO DEL PRADO:

We arrive to Museo del Prado, I think that one of the best of the world. There is an extention of it right now going on, so it will have the double of squared metres for exhibitions in 2007:

WE NOW FOLLOW CALLE ESPALTER TO PARQUE DEL RETIRO. IF YOU LIVE HERE IT MEANS THAT YOU HAVE AT LEAST A WALLET AND A MAID SO YOU ARE A WEALTHY LUCKY PERSON, HAHA.

We arrive now to Parque del Retiro. This park used to be a private property of the Spanish monarchy until the 1930´s when it was donated to the people of Madrid. Originally it had a big palace which a part still in perfect use near Museo del Prado. Precisely the area around Museo del Prado was built in the beginning of the XX century with some of the most exclusive buildings of Madrid. But that is another story. Here we are at Parque del Retiro taking a walk last week.

WE ARE ARRIVING NOW TO THE LAKE OF THE PARK

I love this way of transport:

THIS IS THE ONLY STATUE IN THE WORLD DEDICATED TO THE DEVIL, AS FAR AS I KNOW:

And a picture of the Palacio de Cristal made by mauor (thanks to him):

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT! :) :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
oohh madrid is stunning, one of my favorite cities. One day I will really move there.

Thanks for the photos :hug:

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Cibeles and Neptune fountains are 2 of the very most dramatic fountains in the world. Every city should build one and put it on a main square.
The Buckingham fountain in Chicage is great, but would be greater if it were placed in the very center of a great square.
The only comparable fountain in the USA is the Logan fountain on the Ben Franklin Parkway in Philly.

I love fountains.

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Love this city and miss the atmosphere of the street - Madrid - a dear city in my mind ......

·
El GaTo VoLaDoR
5,160 Posts
very alive

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys, very kind of you! :)

·
The Big Easy Forever
362 Posts
UrbanSophist said:
What's the point of the statue dedicated to the devil?
it actually represents the fall of the angel lucifer from the grace of God, we all know who he became afterwards.
Beautiful pictures of my favorite city in the world, when Im done rebuilding my home here in New Orleans Im gonna seriously consider getting over there and living out my life. love it.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hello guys, I would like to add some pictures of the Thyssen Museum, the back of the building, that can be interesting.

Here I have the plans of the extension of the Museum:

As you can see the left part of the building was the original Museo Thyssen (a building called Palacio de Villahermosa of the XVII-XVIII century) and later another part has been added through a big. corridor.The new part were two buildings of normal houses that have been reformed inside. The pix that I have shown here are the ones of the back of the building, of the opposite part of the garden.

I love the contrast between the old part an d the new one.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A COUPLE OF PIX OF THE PARISIAN STYLE OF THE AREA AROUND MUSEO DEL PRADO:

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts