SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These photos were taken just yesterday. They are very spontaneous. I´ve not calculated anything. I just wanted to captivate the street life of this area. It´s a bit far from Gran Vía and other touristic areas so many tourists never come here although can be good for shopping. Goya Street is a "bourgeois" street (I don´t like that word, but I leave it), it´s full of shops, is in a quarter built in the XIX century and with some good examples of that style of architecture. Many of the buildings have been restored. The process is the following: the neighbours contract an advertisement for the façade while the restauration is being made, so the money they get for it is usually enough to pay for all. That is why he majority of the façades in Madrid have been restored in the recent past years. There is algo an arena. It´s a bit "in the middle" of everything, but the acoustic is excellent and is big (up to 18.000 people). Recently here played Depeche Mode (I saww them,haha), Oasis, Cold Play and many others and soon will come Red Hot Chillie Peppers, so it gives a lot of life to this area many nights. well...that is enough, I ´m like a parrot, haha. I hope you enjoy it.













































































 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Madrid is beautiful.

With respect to shopping though, it seems to lack the great international stores (e.g., Gucci, Tiffany, Ralph Lauren, Versace, Cartier, etc.). By contrast, Barcelona has such shops. I wonder why they don't exist in Madrid at the moment (although I predict that they will arrive in the future).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Wow, Goya street seems very busy! Some of the facades along the street are quite remarkable.

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of Serrano, Legasca and Ortega Y Gasset streets? I have heard that shopping is awesome in the Salamanca neighborhood, and that there are many beautiful apartments in the area!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
LLoydGeorge said:
Madrid is beautiful.

With respect to shopping though, it seems to lack the great international stores (e.g., Gucci, Tiffany, Ralph Lauren, Versace, Cartier, etc.). By contrast, Barcelona has such shops. I wonder why they don't exist in Madrid at the moment (although I predict that they will arrive in the future).
Dear Lloyd George, there are such shops in Madrid, but they are not located on Goya St. You can find Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci, Prada, Emporio Armani, Chanel, Dior, Bvlgari, Versace and the likes on Serrano and Ortega Y Gasset st.
 

·
The Big Easy Forever
Joined
·
362 Posts
love it, so many people out enjoying themselves
 

·
Me&Me
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
RobertoBKK said:
Wow, Goya street seems very busy! Some of the facades along the street are quite remarkable.

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of Serrano, Legasca and Ortega Y Gasset streets? I have heard that shopping is awesome in the Salamanca neighborhood, and that there are many beautiful apartments in the area!
true, the exclusive shops are in those streets mainly, with some other shops trough the city and some shopping centers ( ''El corte inglés'' mainly)

wonderful photos Madridhere
 

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
Aother relaxed shopping tour along the street with the pics , thanks !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RobertoBKK said:
Wow, Goya street seems very busy! Some of the facades along the street are quite remarkable.

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of Serrano, Legasca and Ortega Y Gasset streets? I have heard that shopping is awesome in the Salamanca neighborhood, and that there are many beautiful apartments in the area!

Yes, I´m going to do it, but that will be in another thread. Dont´worry, everything will come. I want to make a whole thread about Serrano Street, Ortega y Gasset and the surroundings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LLoydGeorge said:
Madrid is beautiful.

With respect to shopping though, it seems to lack the great international stores (e.g., Gucci, Tiffany, Ralph Lauren, Versace, Cartier, etc.). By contrast, Barcelona has such shops. I wonder why they don't exist in Madrid at the moment (although I predict that they will arrive in the future).

No, you are wrong, as somebody has explained to you. This thread is not intended to show the best shops of Madrid or the most expensive. It´s only a thread about Goya Street and its surroundings. Of course there are many more shopping areas all around Madrid and the most exclusive is "the gold mile", mainly in Ortega y Gasset street and a good part of Serrano Street, also in the Salamanca Quarter, which is quite big in fact. These great international stores are located in those streets mainly. That will come in another thread and of course the contrast with Barcelona is not necessary to make taking into account that Madrid has all these shops since many many decades ago and the comparisons are of bad taste. (I´m not angry for it anyway, haha, it just makes me smile).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the compliments, guys!

I love too the sensation of life that Madrid has in these photos, like somebody said before. But the fact is that is completely real and general in the whole city, specially with good weather! Thanks again for the compliments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
RobertoBKK said:
Wow, Goya street seems very busy! Some of the facades along the street are quite remarkable.

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of Serrano, Legasca and Ortega Y Gasset streets? I have heard that shopping is awesome in the Salamanca neighborhood, and that there are many beautiful apartments in the area!

This is one of the best façades for me, the whole building and the detail. Do you see the elephants, RobertoBKK?





And the arena as a tip haha:

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
madridhere said:
No, you are wrong, as somebody has explained to you. This thread is not intended to show the best shops of Madrid or the most expensive. It´s only a thread about Goya Street and its surroundings. Of course there are many more shopping areas all around Madrid and the most exclusive is "the gold mile", mainly in Ortega y Gasset street and a good part of Serrano Street, also in the Salamanca Quarter, which is quite big in fact. These great international stores are located in those streets mainly. That will come in another thread and of course the contrast with Barcelona is not necessary to make taking into account that Madrid has all these shops since many many decades ago and the comparisons are of bad taste. (I´m not angry for it anyway, haha, it just makes me smile).
I've been to Madrid twice and have walked along Calle Serrano and in the surrounding streets. While I have seen some nice shops, they don't seem to be as concentrated as they are in Barcelona.

P.S.: How on earth is a comparison to Barcelona "of bad taste"?
P.P.S.: I was aware that "[t]his thread is not intended to show the best shops of Madrid or the most expensive."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I have no doubt Madrid has all luxury shops imagible. This city is so beautiful, that I, being in Texas, get depressed, feeling like I am missing out in life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
LLoydGeorge said:
I've been to Madrid twice and have walked along Calle Serrano and in the surrounding streets. While I have seen some nice shops, they don't seem to be as concentrated as they are in Barcelona.

P.S.: How on earth is a comparison to Barcelona "of bad taste"?
P.P.S.: I was aware that "[t]his thread is not intended to show the best shops of Madrid or the most expensive."
If you have been to Madrid, how can you ask this in your last post (I quote literally again)?:

"With respect to shopping though, it seems to lack the great international stores (e.g., Gucci, Tiffany, Ralph Lauren, Versace, Cartier, etc.). By contrast, Barcelona has such shops. I wonder why they don't exist in Madrid at the moment (although I predict that they will arrive in the future)."



Dear Lloydgeorge: Obviously you have been in Madrid but you have missed these shops herel and didnt´know at all that they exist. And of course they exist and they are very concentrated in one area, as we have explained to you. In fact these shops have been in Madrid since many many decades ago. I think that before making a false comparison between Madrid and Barcelona you should know well what you are talking about. It´s the best way for not commiting a mistake. And when anyone has said something completely wrong, likein your case, the best thing to do is, I think, to admit it. It doesn´t matter at all, boy, as long as all of us are humans and make mistakes. It´s better than trying to convince us that there has not been a mistake. I admit that I make many mistakes, if that helps you, but here I´m right and you are wrong or at least need more information about Madrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shurik said:
I have no doubt Madrid has all luxury shops imagible. This city is so beautiful, that I, being in Texas, get depressed, feeling like I am missing out in life.


Thank you, shurik. I don´t know exactly how is Texas. I mean Houston and cities like that, don´t they have interesting things? I would love to know the States, specially NYC, San Francisco, New Orleans, Boston...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
nice photos. though one big reason to shop in madrid is for the famous spanish brand loewe! they have some nice stuff. wish they had more of those stores here in the states
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top