Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's call it the image test for US cities. Which US cities (the list has no set number) have such a strong identity that you would think anyone out there who knows cities (or anything about US culture) could identify their attributes?

For a city to pass the test, the following questions would have to be answered by a majority of the people who have any clue of what is happening in the US:

1. Name at least one skyscraper in the city
2. Name at least one major street in the city
3. Identify at least 4 pictues of the city (skyline of otherwise) with no overlap in what is photographed
4. Name at least one historic fact associated with the city
5. Name a store...past or present...assocaited with that city
6. Name one cultural institution within the city
7. Name at least one famous person from or living in the city (or associated with it)
8. Name at least one suburb of the city.
9. Name at least one food or product associated with the city
10. Name a song, t.v. show, movie, or book related to the city

Which cities are so evocative in the US that people with knowledge of the US and US culture could answer the above?

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
The only problem with this criteria is that I think the average person on the street would only be able to answer two or three of those questions about even the most famous cities in the country.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I dont think the AVERAGE person could answer all these questions. I would say:

New York
Chicago
Las Vegas
LA
Boston
Washington

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
No matter how known our top cities are, I doubt most Americans could answer all ten for any town. New York comes damn close though.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
New York is probably the only US city that the average person could answer all those questions to. LA would have the problem that the average person on the street could never think of a name of a skyscraper there (in NYC the average person knows of the Empire State Building and propably the Chrysler), Chicago would have the problem that the average person in say New Mexico or Maine probably would have a hard time thinking of a Chicago cultural institution and they would have a hard time idenitfying it in pictures. Washington DC would also have the problem with #1 since no one could think of a skyscraper there (since there are none).

And by the way would "pork" count for #9 for DC?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think people would have a problem with naming a street and naming a store in each city.

Would someone in Atlanta know a famous store and street in Boston? Who in Phoenix would know a Chicago store who has never been there?

Someone in Miami knowing a famous street in Seattle? These are the two that would screw me up, everything else would be easy.

I think those of us on this forum are FAR AND AWAY going to nail these questions over some random person on the street. I could easily name the examples above, but if I asked the girl behind me to name any of those (except for the Chicago one obviously) I can gurantee you she'd just stare at me blankly and confused.....

After all this is a country where 50% of people can't locate New York State on a map, 87% CAN'T locate Iraq on a map....11% of young adults can't even locate the USA on a map, and almost 1 in 3 Americans can't even find the Pacific Ocean on a globe...

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
god, this is where Indianapolis SUCKS! Actually, just about every mid-sized city will, excpet for the New Orleans of the world.

·
5,837 Posts
3. Identify at least 4 pictues of the city (skyline of otherwise) with no overlap in what is photographed
7. Name at least one famous person from or living in the city (or associated with it)

Which cities are so evocative in the US that people with knowledge of the US and US culture could answer the above?[/QUOTE]

=======================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1.) Hearst Magazine Tower, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Woolworth, 7 world Trade, Chase Manhattan, New York Life Insurance, American International, Time Warner Center, Conde Nast tower, New York Times Tower, Flat Iron, Trump World Tower, 30 Rock, Bloomberg Tower, The Waldorf Astoria, The Municiple, Citi Corp, Citibank, Citigroup, The United Nations, MetLife Tower, Bear and Stern.... :)

2.) Park Avenue, Broadway, 8th Avenue, Avenue of America's.

3.) See the end.

4.) The southern tip of the Island of Manhattan was a fortified city colonized by the Dutch.

5.) Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks fifth Avenue....

6.) The Natural museum of History, The museum of Modern Art, Hayden Planetarium, Lincoln Center, Juilliard School, Carnegie Hall, The Apollo, The Guggenheim, The Biltmore, Radio City, Bower Ballroom, Hammerstein Ballroom, Boys choir of Harlem, Bronx Zoo, New York botanical gardens, National Academy of Design, Fashion institue of technology, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York Aquarium....

7.) Robert Deniro, Woody Allen, Greogory Hines, Aurthur Miller, Tito Puente, John Gotti, Calvin Klein, Martin Scorsese, Donald Trump, Rudy Guiliani, Spike Lee, Jerry Seinfeld, Notorious B.I.G, Jay Z, Mike Tyson, Joe Dimaggio, Frank Sinatra, Joe Namath, Paul Simon, Howard Stern, Andy Warhol, Joey Ramone, Robert Moses, Mariah Carey, Langston Hughes, George Gershwin, Eddie Murphy, Yoko Ono + John Lennon, Lenny Kravitz

8.) Rockville Center, Irvington, Poughkeepsie, Fort Lee, Cliffside, OceanSide, Island Park, Hempstead, Dobbs Ferry, Ridgefield.

9.) Dirty Water Dog's, Knishes, Pretzles, Peanut's, basically street vendors... then ya got Junior's Cheese cake, Ny strip Steak, Thin crust pizza, and hot pastrami sandwiches on rye.

10. Taxi Driver,/ I'm in a New York state of mind/, New York, New York/ Guys and Dolls, Summer of Sam, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Godfather trilogy, Goodfellas, Dog Day afternoon, The Warriors, The French Connection, Wall Street, Do the Right thing, When Harry Met Sally, Basketball diaries, Bronx Tale, KIDS, Hackers, Studio 54, Spiderman, Godzilla, Gangs of New York, Men in Black, Saturday Night Fever, King Kong, West Side Story, Kiss of Death, War of the worlds, The out-of-towners, Miracle of 34th street, Straight out of brooklyn, Carlitos way, Youv'e got mail, Mr. & mrs. smith, World Trade Center, Escape from New York , Vanilla Sky, The day after tommorow, Boiler Room, Little Nicky, Cruel Intentions, BIG, Sleepers, New Jack City, Ghostbusters, Mean Streets, Shaft, Fresh, He got game, End of days, American Physco, Harlem nights.

oh yea, #3..

but..if ya wanna see ALMOST the whole thing...

·
EffSizzle
160 Posts
How about Seattle...

A: Space Needle

A: (This might be a hard one for those not familiar w/ Seattle)

A: (Another hard one)

A: On the hot, dry afternoon of June 6, 1889, a Swedish cabinetmaker named John Beck inadvertently ignited Seattle's Great Fire. By sunset, most of the city's wood-frame downtown lay in ruins.

A: Nordstroms, Amazon.com

A: Pike Place Market

A: Here's a few. Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, Kurt Cobain, Bruce Lee, Apollo Ohno.

8. Name at least one suburb of the city
A: Bellevue

A: Here's two. Coffee, seafood.

A: Here's three. Sleepless in Seattle, Grey's Anatomy, Fraser.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Los Angeles...

US Bank Tower, Aon, Gas Company Tower, California Plaza.

Wilshire Blvd., Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Melrose Ave., Santa Monica Blvd., Beverly Blvd., Rodeo Drive, Mulholland Drive, Sepulveda Blvd.

3. Identify at least 4 pictues of the city (skyline of otherwise) with no
overlap in what is photographed

The internet was born at UCLA in 1969.

Kitson.

Getty Center.

Angelina Jolie, Leonardo Dicaprio, Jodie Foster, Paula Abdul, Marilyn Monroe, Paris Hilton, Frank Gehry, Wolfgang Puck, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jennifer Anniston, Drew Barrymore, Tyra Banks, Charlie Chaplin, Ice Cube, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jake Gyllenhaal, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Kate Hudson, Helen Hunt, Diane Keaton, Heather Locklear, Gwyneth Paltrow, Freddie Prinze Jr., Tori Spelling.

Pasadena.

Fortune cookie and cheeseburger.

Crash, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, The Hills, City of Angels, Baywatch, Entourage, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Ellen, Heroes, Six Feet Under, Three's Company.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Boston would likely make your list...

A: John Hancock, Prudential

A: Beacon, Newbury

3. Identify at least 4 pictures of the city (skyline of otherwise) with no overlap in what is photographed
A: backbay over charles river, hancock over public garden, harborside skyline, fenway park with citgo sign, faneul Hall and DT skyline

A: Battle of bunker hill, Boston tea party, invention of telephone

A: Filenes

A: Museum of fine arts, Boston Symphony

A: Alexander graham bell, henry wadsworth longfellow, Tom Brady, Mitt Romney

8. Name at least one suburb of the city
A: Cambridge

A: baked beans, lobster.

A: Cheers, Good Will Hunting, boston public, the departed.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
San Francisco's middle name is icon. Heck, I dont even think any of these need a description.

In the US, this one is probably the most famous highrise outside of NY.

how about a roadway?

If ever there was one in sf during the last half century, its these guys..

and he's classic sf cosmic too.

the mother of all trophy burbs..

Madison Avenue successfully tied this rubbery shit to one of our nation's gastronomic titans-most of us have never even eaten it-but its supposedly "the sf treat". LOL

too many to list, but off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
1. Name at least one skyscraper in the city: Sears, Hancock, Aon, Wrigley
2. Name at least one major street in the city: Michigan, State
3. Identify at least 4 pictues of the city (skyline of otherwise) with no overlap in what is photographed: Shot from Hancock looking over lincoln park, skyline from lake michigan, navy pier, shot along Chicago River
4. Name at least one historic fact associated with the city: Chicago Fire
5. Name a store...past or present...assocaited with that city: Marshall Fields
6. Name one cultural institution within the city: Field Museum, Art Institue
7. Name at least one famous person from or living in the city (or associated with it): Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Billy Corgan, Chris Farley
8. Name at least one suburb of the city. Evanston
9. Name at least one food or product associated with the city: Deep Dish Pizza
10. Name a song, t.v. show, movie, or book related to the city: ER, Chicago (Musical), Blues Brothers

·
5,837 Posts
I love toasted ravioli. on a sidenote :( I was hoping to see more pictures with no overlapping. I admit having a tough time with New York even though I knew what I was looking for. Since I ran out of options I chose to add the Upper West Side not really shown in that midtown aerial.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How sad the total destruction of a great American city. And to add insult to injury, the A's sweept the Giants in the World Series. What a classic photo of the Marina District in complete disarray!:banana: :banana:

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
San Francisco's middle name is icon. Heck, I dont even think any of these need a description.

In the US, this one is probably the most famous highrise outside of NY.
Uhhhh. I dunno about that.

Let's see someone just pick a random big city and see how much of it they can do. Its silly for everyone to do their own city.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Of course people who frequent skyscrapercity.com can name buildings in their own city and some other cities as well. But I bet average citizens can't even point out Kansas on a map unless they live in or near Kansas...so it's very doubtful they could answer all of those questions. New York definitely, then there are several cities that come close...Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, D.C., San Francisco, Detroit, Boston, etc.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts