SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This area of Southern California (Western Riverside and San Bernardino counties..roughly 40-50 miles east of LA) has long been shit on because everyone thinks it's nothing more than dirt roads, dairy farms and trackt homes. Granted just like everywhere else, it has bad areas and trackt homes. It's a extremely fast growing area (before Las Vegas, Moreno Valley was the fastest growing city in the US). But above all, the big and bad I.E., the I.E., the 909, the 951, the Inland Empire, or whatever you want to call it has some of the most interesting and unique architecture in all of SoCal so I hope you enjoy the tour. :tup: (Pics from Orange Empire)

Riverside

San Bernardino

Ontario

Rancho Cucamonga

Redlands

·
Banned
137 Posts
it looks like a nice place.

the only thing i don´t like about US cities is that they pay so much attention to vehicles. They haven´t developed in public transportation and vertical growth (for living)

·
7,972 Posts
Wow, I think I've fallen in love with it already. I've been so curious about Riverside/Ontario for so long, and to finally see pics is fantastic.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I shit on the IE because much of it is hot as hell in the summer, unlike closer to the coast. The "dry heat" mantra doesn't apply to when you get broiled by infernal hellfire inside your car - that's when one wishes for public transport.

The place itself is quite nice. Very beautiful sunshine.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ As opposed to Houston where it feels like your in a sauna no matter where you are? Only the deserts get to extreme highs. It isn't uncommon for Palm Springs to hover around 115 degrees. Riverside will usually reach 100 mabye a few times a year.

KGV: In SoCal espically, since the area is so huge, people build out first then build up. Riverside and Ontario is about 10 miles apart but you can drive on one street to get there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wow, great pics. i will now look at the I.E. a little closer. nice job !!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Threehundred said:
^ As opposed to Houston where it feels like your in a sauna no matter where you are? Only the deserts get to extreme highs. It isn't uncommon for Palm Springs to hover around 115 degrees. Riverside will usually reach 100 mabye a few times a year.
I never said Houston weather is enjoyable. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Whoooaaa! Hey, you're title made me chuckle cuz' that's always what I thought of the inland empire. I was surprised at the amount of old and beautiful architecture. Very impressive and looks like there is nice size to those towns. Are you sure you didn't sneak in some photos from Europe or somewhere else in this session?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Valiant effort, and nice pics, really... but you can find a dozen or so nice buildings in any U.S. suburb... that doesn't replace what's missing out there - everything else in between - which is what makes a city a city!

·
Registered
537 Posts
bunt_q said:
Valiant effort, and nice pics, really... but you can find a dozen or so nice buildings in any U.S. suburb... that doesn't replace what's missing out there - everything else in between - which is what makes a city a city!
It's fairly charming as far as suburbs go. I would take the Inland Empire over any Houston exurb, certainly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Taking into account the astronomical real estate prices, if I were to move to California (which I am seriously considering) the I.E is where I'm heading. Excellent pics :eek:kay:

·
Skyscraper Enthusiast
136 Posts
:sleepy: Nice try.

I attend UCR (the university shown in the pics) and I can tell you first hand that those pics are deceptive of the average weather here. It looks all nice in the pics, and, yes, the buildings threehundred showed are really that beautiful, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THE WEATHER IS AWFUL. First of all, Riverside County has the worst smog in the nation. If you guys want, I'll step outside and snap a pic of what it's like outside RIGHT NOW. Today, the air smelled like dog shit + cow shit + diesel + human feces + your feet and you can actually SEE the smog 50ft ahead of you. It's been like this for the past 4 days :). The summer is even worse. No one steps outside in UCR because it feels like 103° all the time even if it's only 95° because of the cow-shit-smelling breeze.

As for the nice houses in the suburbs, yeah, they're there, but they aren't really that common. The snowcapped peaks are there SOMETIMES (as in for maybe 3 weeks total during the winter). On some years snow doesn't even really appear at all, if only for 2-3 days, which doesn't matter anyway because you can't even see the mountains after 2 days as the smog builds up again as quickly as we had the random flash-flood rain.

The housing prices are pretty good in comparison with the prices of LA county but honestly, even with a huge house, I can't be happy with the weather. It's really really bad. I'd say the Inland Empire is a good place for tourism, but not for living.

Thanks for trying to show it though.

edit- oh yeah I just realized that I was being completely biased in that I was speaking about Riverside County only. Hmm, well, all I can say is Ontario + Rancho Cucamonga + San Bernadino are only a LITTLE BIT better.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Paddington said:
Rancho Cucamonga has to be the most horrible name for a town in all of America.
I don't know if the locals feel that way. In some ways you get this sort of snobish comment from those who live there. Its in the way they say where they live. Most of the people I know from the area will just say I live in Rancho in a valley girl type of voice (lol). IMO its one of the nicer suburbs in the area. Real
Estate is high enough to let you know that too. Personally my 1st choice I would live in Upland, Clairmont, and Redlands. These cities are beautiful, very green, and have a lot of charm and history.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts