SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I have Read in the paper about the lake and stream project going on is San Bernardino
Does anyone know much about it? ill see if i can find some articles?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wouldn't mind the heat, but isn't the air quality among the worst in the state, if not the whole country?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I dont know, the San Jouaquin Valley has pretty bad air, as does the LA/LB Port area.

I wouldn't want to live there because I would be going to LA often and I heard the commute from the IE to LA is horrible. I just heard of someone in San Bernardino Cnty who commutes 3 hours every day (6 hours roundtrip)! Thats too much for me...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
"I wouldn't want to live there because I would be going to LA often and I heard the commute from the IE to LA is horrible. I just heard of someone in San Bernardino Cnty who commutes 3 hours every day (6 hours roundtrip)! Thats too much for me..."

That's why a subway line in the centerline of the I-10 freeway is nice indeed. It will save a lot of gasoline for those IE commuters. Plus there will be less exhaust from motor vehicles.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Those people already have Metrolink. You don't build subways to far flung low density areas. Too expensive and needless. Metrolink, Metrolink, Metrolink. That's why it is called Metro-link, get it?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Why build the red line extension to Santa Monica when there is already the Expo Line? That's redundancy. Besides people from Beverly Hills don't want it. Get it?

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Umm..coming from someone who uses the Metrolink all the time, it takes a little over an hour to ride the train from Downtown Riverside to Union Station. The trains are fast, and the ride is nice. Granted, I wish Metrolink would extend service (I think the last train to Riverside leaves at around 7pm) and the trains are a bit dated (new trains will be running in 2009) but I think it's fine.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
No Metrolink train going to San Bernardino in the morning. No Metrolink train going to downtown in the afternoon. Metrolink sucks.

·
Entre Mundos
2,084 Posts
The Inland Empire is freakin hot in the summer and freakin cold in the winter, and for some reason smog seems to get trapped there. I wouldnt live there!

·
Registered
93 Posts
lochinvar said:
Why build the red line extension to Santa Monica when there is already the Expo Line? That's redundancy. Besides people from Beverly Hills don't want it. Get it?
Assuming you are referring to the Red Line extension along Wilshire (to be dubbed Purple Line presumably, if it is built) then it isn't redudant. There is a large demand for transport along Wilshire past it's current terminus. The Expo/Aqua Line takes a completley different route through Culver City. Also, you're a bit out of date. Although Beverly Hills once opposed transit through the area, the city government of Beverly Hills, and most of the residents it appears, are now very much in support of transit through the area to ease the insane traffic. In fact, Representative Henry Waxman, who once opposed any Red Line extension, is the author of the bill to allow tunneling under Wilshire and one of the main proponents of the plan.

Anyway, I completely forgot about Metrolink. One question: if it only takes 1 hour to go from Riverside to LA on the Metrolink why do so few people use it? It seems like its a major savings from gas money, and is definitely quicker. Is it a cultural thing or is the schedule really bad as some say?

Anyway, back to the topic of IE development.

They definitely have a job base and a thriving economy, check out this article on a 90 acre industrial development: http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/property_type/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002725853

Also, I'd be surprised if this hasnt been posted, but have people heard of 'Victoria Gardens': http://www.deliriousla.net/reviews/2005-victoriagardens.htm ? Its just a lifestyle center (one that allows cars at that), however I'm surprised by its size (twelve blocks, small 300' x 300' blocks, but thats still big nonetheless). What do people think?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i think it is still because of the fact it only serves IE downtown and burbank. there are alot more locations for people to work at then that. same reason why everyone does not use the redline

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
SpaceMan1 said:
Anyway, I completely forgot about Metrolink. One question: if it only takes 1 hour to go from Riverside to LA on the Metrolink why do so few people use it? It seems like its a major savings from gas money, and is definitely quicker. Is it a cultural thing or is the schedule really bad as some say?

Anyway, back to the topic of IE development.

They definitely have a job base and a thriving economy, check out this article on a 90 acre industrial development: http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/property_type/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002725853

Also, I'd be surprised if this hasnt been posted, but have people heard of 'Victoria Gardens': http://www.deliriousla.net/reviews/2005-victoriagardens.htm ? Its just a lifestyle center (one that allows cars at that), however I'm surprised by its size (twelve blocks, small 300' x 300' blocks, but thats still big nonetheless). What do people think?
Hordes of people use Metrolink. One of the main reason why they had to extend the length of the trains from 3 cars to 8 for the Inland Empire (91) line.

And Victoria Gardens is nice. It's a instant downtown for Rancho Cucuamunga. But it's still a suburban mall..and a bit out of the way.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If there is a strong demand for Metrolink, then why is it that the I-10 looks like endless miles of headlights starting at 5:00 AM.?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats what I'm wondering. Part of the reason has to be because theres just so many people using ONE route of one major area into another. I have a question for IE residents: where do you and your fellow residents work? Maybe the majority just dont work in the downtown LA area so MetroLink isnt very useful.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
From what I see, lots of people work in downtown LA, and get off at these major stops: City of Indistury, Fullerton, Ontario, San Bernardino, and Riverside. My guess is that people who live within 5 miles from those stations (whom are very smart seeing as how the 91, the 60, and the 10 freeeways, all of which serve the IE are always crowded) drive to the station, take the train to dtla, and take the subway (or transfer to another Metrolink) to work.

Personally (I live in Riverside btw) I think it's a dumb statement to say that Metrolink isn't very useful.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You know you're from the Inland Empire IF...

1. Every one of your friends, including yourself, has a drinking problem.

2. You're pissed that you live in the 909(San Bernardino County) but your cell is 951(Riverside County).

3. Everyone is in a band.

4. Statutory rape laws dont exist here.

5. You hook up with someone on Friday night and Saturday morning you have 10 missed calls from people that already heard about it.

6. You've known more than half your friends since junior high, or elementary school

7. You use terms like "Mo Val" (Moreno Valley), "Deadlands" (Redlands- cuz Nothing Happens here, "fontucky" (Fontana), "San Berdoo", and "Victimville" to refer to Surrounding Cities.

8. When you go to parties you bring your own beer
and guard it with your life

9. A party isn't a party until the cops come and someone gets knocked out

10. Every Jetta you see has a roxy sticker on the back.

11. The whos gonna drive to get more booze conversation is decided by who has the fewest number of D.U.I.'s

12. You try to act as white trash as possible but your parents live in million dollar houses and drive hummers

13. You know at least 10 people with a tattoo of their last name, a star, or a flower

14. At least half the guys you see are wearing black Active socks

15. When all of your girlfriends go off to college, and all your guy friends stay home and work construction

16. You walk into a party and you've hooked up with at least half the people there

17. Even the people you havent seen since high school still manage to find out what and who you are doing

18. You walk into Vons or Rite Aid and see atleast 5 people you know

19. You have an Uncle Jager.

20. You participate in the cycle of: A) Seeing old people at parties and then B) Being the old people at parties.

21. "Your mom" is the most common phrase in your vocabulary.

22. You walk to your truck at Victoria gardens and mistaking put your key in one of the 50 black lifted F-250 with Famous stickers on them...

23. You still miss Metro and Gotham.(Closed NIght clubs In SAn Bernardino)

24. You go to victoria gardens on friday night, saturday night and sunday night because there isnt much else to do...

25. You know what a Bro is, and what a Bro Hoe is.

26. Being called a Bro Hoe isnt a good thing yet all of them are excited to be called one.

27. when monday night bowling and getting shitfaced is the highlight of your week.

28. you go to the Branding Iron (Country Club) on Wednesday nights.

29. You know what people do at "the Top of Haven "

30. your whole life is DRAMA.

31. You cant start a day without Starbucks.

32. You run into your ex's ALL the time.

33. When you think Fontana is ghetto. (fontucky)

34. when you have been to a Quakes or Stampede game on friday night.(1$ friday nights)

35. you were disappointed to learn that Hemet is no longer the Meth capital of the world, its Yucaipa on the other side of the I.E.

36. u know what emo is... but you're too "hardcore"

37. You have gone offroading off the 71, the 91 or the 60

39. You have been to a Rufio concert.

40. you know someone who works at Active, Hollister or Abercrombie.

41. you or someone you know went through the "bleaching" the hair phase, with spikes

42. You have crossed a raging flood . . . at an intersection

43. Kids love their cars more than they love their parents

44. You know that snoop dogg lives 10 min away and where his house is.

45. You know that snoop dogg's mom lives 10 min away and where her house is.

46. You know at least 10 people that had to be evacuated from their homes because of the wildfires.

47. You take the 10 or 60 or the 91 to get somewhere that is 5 min away, but it takes 45 minutes to get there

48. all ur old friends have kids.. and u know their baby daddy.

49. At least 5 of your friends has their lip pierced.

50. lifted trucks have west coast choppers, Tapout, or Famous stickers

51. u eat dennys or albertos after a hard night of partyin'!!!!

52. u know someone with a 50cc pit bike DEF!!!!!!

53. you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows travis barker

54. Every radio station fades into spanish at least once during your commute

21 - 40 of 58 Posts