Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Route_200

It began construction in 2006 under Gov. Bob Ehrlich's administration, with the final segment being opened to traffic eight years later.

Was it worth it? And if so, does it merit expansion?
makes it a little easier to get to Gaithersburg and Rockville from the Baltimore area.

I wonder if it will become part of a long planned "outer beltway" that was originally to include US 301 as the eastern arc. The ICC would be the northern portion of the loop.

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
100 was first started in the early '60's. Originally it began at was then Rt 3...I believe the 301 designation was gone by then, and went towards Lake Shore. It wasn't until the '90's when it was completed to 95 and then to US29.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I don't think expansion on a large scale is in the cards. The original route (what is built now) was held in reserve since around the '60's. To find a right of way for expansion would cost a fortune and get much opposition, especially in the tony area of MoCo it would pass through. It might be doable in the short term to continue it to 295 on the east side...that might make some sense.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think expansion on a large scale is in the cards. The original route (what is built now) was held in reserve since around the '60's. To find a right of way for expansion would cost a fortune and get much opposition, especially in the tony area of MoCo it would pass through. It might be doable in the short term to continue it to 295 on the east side...that might make some sense.

You mean the Baltimore-Washington Parkway?

·
Registered
623 Posts
....2nd busiest TOLL highway. Didn't think it could be busier than the 2 Beltways and I-95, or even Rt 100...^^
From what I see every day, it looks practically empty compared to the 2 beltways and I-95, and roughly equal to Rt. 100.

If the state would cut off the tolls, it would really alleviate a lot more traffic on the Capital Beltway and I-95 should definitely be widened by two lanes in each direction between the beltways to better handle any feeder routes like the Connector.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
100 seems to be stop and go, bumper-to-bumper just about every day from I97 to Ritchie Hwy. That section definitely needs another lane. In fact, I doubt 200 is busier than I97 either...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts