SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imvros with its boundless, sandy beaches and clean sea is a beautiful island in which the past and present live together. There are churches, mosques, monasteries, old Greek houses and modem examples of architecture where the different cultures come together.

According to legend, the name of Imvros comes from ancient Greek and means "Windy Island", Imvros in Greek is known as the land of Imbrasos, the God of abundance on barren soil. For more than 3,000 years, Imvros was an important place for the history of Greece.

The island has around 100kms of coastline with beaches which stretch as far as the eye can see and a perfectly clean sea. The island is 80% mountainous and there are large meadows amidst the mountains created from volcanic matter. Despite its natural beauty, wealth of culture and beaches, Imvros does not benefit sufficiently from tourism because of the short summer season, inadequacy of transport and, most importantly, the fact that a large part of it is a conservation zone.

Imvros is also the birthplace of the current Patriarch Bartholomew.

In this one you can see neighboring Samothraki far away as seen from Imvros

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I would never have imagined that Imvros gets snow. I understand New Zealand, but Imvros? Wow!!! I am surprised. Anyway, looks like a nice little island. Personally, I love peaceful areas, where one doesn't have to deal with overcrowded streets and beaches. Thanks for the pics :eek:kay:

·
9,190 Posts
Are you sure this is a Greek island?You may mention the Greek culture in the island but it belongs to Turkey and its name is Gokceada..Interesting to open this thread but not even mentioning that this is a Turkish territory!!!!!!!..was that too hard???So what I understand is this is not introducing the island, it is kind of mean.isnt it?

·
SSC Veteran
10,765 Posts
icy said:
Are you sure this is a Greek island?It belongs to Turkey and its name is Gokceada..Interesting to open this thread but not even mentioning that this is a Turkish territory!!!!!!!..was that too hard???So what I understand is this is not introducing the island, it is kind of mean.isnt it?
Being honest I realised it after replying to the thread and i have to admin you're 100% right and thread title must change.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I've been to this beautiful island, Imroz or Gokceada you may call it. It's one of the two important islands of Turkey that guard the Dardanelles. Anyway I prefer the other one which is smaller since it's more preserved and has more ambiance of an island.

Thanks to Greek friends, they behaved so kind to prepare a Turkey presentation into their forums. :hug:

We'll try to be as kind as you next time. ;)

·
Registered
26,685 Posts
Istanbullu said:
Nice to see pictures of a Turkish island at the Greek forum...
Thanks for friendly gesture guys,promoting Turkish islands in your forum..
I add one to this lovely thread...

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,251 Posts
icy said:
Are you sure this is a Greek island?You may mention the Greek culture in the island but it belongs to Turkey and its name is Gokceada..Interesting to open this thread but not even mentioning that this is a Turkish territory!!!!!!!..was that too hard???So what I understand is this is not introducing the island, it is kind of mean.isnt it?

What hypocrites you ALL are! You open a thread called Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, shrug of all arguments made by Greeks and Cypriots about the incorrect name being used, and then you have the audacity to step in our forum and tell us how to describe a Greek island?

If you don't like it, it is quite simple: Leave.

Now lets continue posting pictures of beautiful IMVROS.

·
Made in Turkey
6,793 Posts
LEAFS FANATIC said:
Now lets continue posting pictures of beautiful IMVROS.
Yeah please continue posting the pictures of a Turkish island... :D

This is hillarious.. especially after reading news about greek cypriots claiming lokum(Turkish Delight) and baklava as their desert... :D You greeks... :D

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Guys, we don't have enough time to organize Ankara fotos recently. Would you mind opening a thread also about our capital city here in your gentle forum :D? I see you are quite fruitful on presentations of Turkish cities.:yes:

Thanks in advance! ;)

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,251 Posts
kostya said:
:nono:

Not another flame war please...

Κόστια,

Ζητάς να σταματήσουμε για να μην αρχίσει "flame war" αλλα όταν η "γείτονες μας" δείχνουν τα αρχαία Ελληνικά αγάλματα και θέατρα που βρίσκονται στην Τουρκια και λένε πως είναι Τουρκικα μας χέζουν και δεν λες τίποτα.

Αυτή μπήκαν στο forum ΜΑΣ. Aμα δεν τους αρέσουν αυτά που λέμε, να φύγουν! Aκου κι! Έχουμε και τον χοντροβαρελλι να μας λέει για το μπακλαβά!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.