SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in Sydney's roads, www.ozroads.com.au is a great resource.

Here's a posting of their shots depicting the construction of the kings cross tunnel:

Looking East in 1971:

This time looking west over the construction site in 1973. You can see the bridges which form the portals are nearly completed:

Again looking west - this time in 1974 - showing the tunnel itself completed and the roof being installed.

Following opening now. This is looking east to the Victoria St (western) portal in December 1975
[imghttp://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/RouteNumbering/Deccomissioned%20Routes/SR76/kct1975.JPG[/img]

Looking west along William St from Kings Cross towards the CBD. You can see the lane that runs behind a row of buildings on the left (south) side of William St. This row of buildings was to be demolished to make way for a widened William St but it never eventuated. Dec 1975.

·
Registered
73,158 Posts
great stuff. really impressive for early 70/s.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Great pictures.

Did they build the rail tunnels at the same time? I can see the portals in the second picture.

Also what is the white building with the radio tower on the roof top in the first picture, near the old fire station, about 15 levels?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
The Eastern Suburbs rail line went up at the same time, except we had to wait until 1979 for trains to use it.

Also the tower you are talking about Aussie Bhoy is the Top of the Town Hotel, which used to have a restaurant at the top. It was converted into apartments during the past decade.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,110 Posts
What's this tall building on the left of the photo?

Is it still there? I don't remember it. From memory it's in the spot where Centrepoint Tower is now...

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Did they build the rail tunnels at the same time? I can see the portals in the second picture.
Kind of. The Railway started in 1967, well before this road started. Similarly the Bondi Junction bypass started well after the railway (1977) but opened before it (January 1979).

So it was slow going on the railway. Even moreso because when you're looking back to the city and can see the viaduct disappear into the tunnel to Martin Place: that tunnel had commenced construction in 1948 before being halted in 1952(?)

city_thing said:
What's this tall building on the left of the photo?
Park Regis? Centrepoint is 1.5 blocks north. You can see David Jones across Hyde Park from St Mary's. You can actually see, I think, the old Centrepoint office building (ATO/whatever) behind that.

·
Registered
73,158 Posts
yes far left is 136m/44fl park regis. when built in 68, it was australias 2nd tallest skyscraper.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
There's alot of construction activity downtown as well.
At left we have the Lanray Centre (Hilton Hotel) under construction, 100 Market Street (Centrepoint), Law Courts and AMP Centre under construction.

It was boom days for Central Sydney.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Great photos there. I know that area like the back of my hand and its amazing just how much has changed and how much is the same.

The entire area is so much greener today. I notice streets that were completely barren back then have mature trees on them now. The local Council must have gone through a tree planting blitz.

Again - great photos - thanks :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is a great photo of Sydney in the early 70's.

Think about how much has changed.

Imagine the skyline 40 years from now...!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tunnel today.

Looking East:

Looking West:

Above the tunnel, looking West.

Above the tunnel, looking East.

Standing above the tunnel, looking West to Sydney's skyline.

420 George St looking good next to Centrepoint there...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What was on top of the tunnel before they built the Elan and Altair apartment towers?
Nothing. It was empty and fenced of for two decades before construction got going.

It's a really lovely area now. So much greener than before as well, although I do have a problem with councils tree policies. They never let you trim trees these days, even if they block views and damage buildings.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Great photo Aussie Bhoy.

All that stuff in the middle bottom of the photo was demolished for the cut/cover tunnel too.
Are you sure, I know the building with the coke sign is now there, but I thought most of the rest of that block behind it still exists. It's just that William St now has a kink in it, whereas it used to run straight (bit like the whole district really :) ). Which gives the impression the block to the right is now gone.

I've used green to show the present location of the Oz Rock Cafe, and blue to show two standout buildings still in both pictures.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts