Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think the LA skyline would be more appreciated if it was built on the ocean instead of the middle of the city. I really like the skyline how it is..but it would look so much more impressive if it was on the ocean.
 

·
Architect
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
No, it's fine where it is. I mean, think about it . . .

How many cities can claim both semi-distant views of the ocean and mountains? LA thus has two backdrops for it's skyline.
Would you have it any other way?

Didn't think so. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
^The skyline is great where it is! Downtown is basically where Los Angeles originated and its the heart of the metropolitan area, thats where the central bussiness district should be located. Plus the Sta Monica, Culver City, Long Beach, & LAX skylines are near the Pacific shoreline. Having the skyline there is good because it brings opportunity and investment to inland areas of the megalopolis. And when a tsunami hits? I'll be glad those buildings are inland!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Its not even really that far from the water so that isnt a very big deal and using it as a decoration really wouldnt be all that impressive because unlike a river you cant go to the other side and view the skyline with water in the foreground. On a personal note I hate cities that ruin their waterfronts with giant buildings :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
This is a perfect time for me to post my favorite LA pic. This is the only pic that I've seen that shows both downtown and the ocean. I believe it was taken from Palos Verdes, but I'm not sure, maybe someone from LA can confirm?

Can a city kick any more ass than this?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
LosAngelesSportsFan said:
Oh and we need to see that angle when there is snow on the mountains, then it will be unreal.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Sunshine, beaches, palm trees, downtown, and snow capped mountains. It's not unreal, it's LA on a clear winter day!
 

·
Fresh Coast
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
lowrider said:
^The skyline is great where it is! Downtown is basically where Los Angeles originated and its the heart of the metropolitan area, thats where the central bussiness district should be located. Plus the Sta Monica, Culver City, Long Beach, & LAX skylines are near the Pacific shoreline. Having the skyline there is good because it brings opportunity and investment to inland areas of the megalopolis. And when a tsunami hits? I'll be glad those buildings are inland!
I understand the points you guys are saying, and I agree with them. I wasn't looking deep into the question by Redd because I think he's speaking of simple visual terms. Of course the LA scenery is amazing, each element compliments each other.

But on terms of simply looking at the buildings in the downtown themselves (and the area in close proximity), it would be really interesting to see those towers built near a large body of water. This isn't saying the skyline doesn't look good now, it's a simple statement that it would trippy if it was very near to a body of water as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,117 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
I just tried it, and looks great. The mountains are a good background. SOme new towers in LA wont hurt.

They are on their way. Breaking news today that the LA Live Hotel might be the tallest building west of the Mississippi, beating the Library Tower, so that would mean a new 1000+ for LA. There are conflicting reports that its either going to be the tallest building or tallest hotel, which would make it the 3rd tallest in LA. Also, there are at least 10 towers taller than 40 stories planned for LA, from the 2 Sci arc towers at 50+ each, the LA Live Toer, the Grand Ave Project with at least 5 or 6 towers ranging from 30 - 65 stories, the metropolis project adjacent to LA Live with 3 towers at 53, 47 and 38 and a bunch of towers in the 30 story range (at least 7). A lot of these are breaking ground this year or next, in fact all most all of them are, so Downtown LA Is definitley BOOMING!! the Skyline will look totally different and better in 5 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The anti-cheesehead said:
This is a perfect time for me to post my favorite LA pic. This is the only pic that I've seen that shows both downtown and the ocean. I believe it was taken from Palos Verdes, but I'm not sure, maybe someone from LA can confirm?

Can a city kick any more ass than this?

Wow, LA is gorgeous!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EastSider said:
I understand the points you guys are saying, and I agree with them. I wasn't looking deep into the question by Redd because I think he's speaking of simple visual terms. Of course the LA scenery is amazing, each element compliments each other.

But on terms of simply looking at the buildings in the downtown themselves (and the area in close proximity), it would be really interesting to see those towers built near a large body of water. This isn't saying the skyline doesn't look good now, it's a simple statement that it would trippy if it was very near to a body of water as well...
yup thats exactly what I was tryin to get at Eastsider. You guys are thinking too seriously on this..I was just wondering if you think that the LA skyline would look more impresive being on the water. Would many of you agree that a skyline based on some body of water (Chicago, NYC, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Fran) looks much better than an inland skyline (Minneapolis, Calgary, Denver, Paris-La Defense etc.)?? Being on water makes it look much cooler in my opinion. For instance, Milwaukee has a so-so skyline in alot of your opinions.--but what makes look impressive is when its seen from Lake Michigan. If Milwaukee were an inland city--I could easily say the skyline would look boring. I think it would look really cool to be quite honest...but it looks fine where its at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I agree with you guys about those pictures. Those pictures are sweet. People have too many misconceptions about LA (it's an endless concrete wasteland) and California in general. Awesome pictures like this should keep them quiet.

And yeah, I can see where Redd's coming from. Take any skyline and put it by the water, and it'll look nicer.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top