SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The LA Skyline

104655 Views 89 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  PaulP
Do you guys think the LA skyline would be more appreciated if it was built on the ocean instead of the middle of the city. I really like the skyline how it is..but it would look so much more impressive if it was on the ocean.
21 - 40 of 90 Posts
I think the city would have looked beter on the Ocean. I really never undersod why it was built were it was.
^ Now that AI thought about it, LA might have turned out like Chicago, with highrise buildings right next to the beach.
All I know that the ocean (or bay) helps out San Diego's skyline A LOT.
Great cities play against geographical features: Chicago has the lake; San Francisco the bay; New York the Hudson and East Rivers; Seattle, Puget Sound; etc.

And LA? A dry concrete ditch, and maybe some distant mountains on the rare days the air is clear. Had LA's downtown been on the ocean, think Sydney, Melbourne, Barcelona, Rio, Miami, Hong Kong, Singapore. You can't beat an ocean or sea for a dramatic setting.
yeah those pics make LA look like the coolest place. I love the place but come on. Downtown is about 40 minutes of driving on a typical day with trafffic from the ocean. The view of the mountains is cool, but again referring back to the typical day, the city creates all the smog that flows east. So the view is blocked by a grey/brown fog. Disgusting. On the perfect day, LA and its backdrop from mountain to the ocean is drop dead gorgeous and can compete with anyone. On a typical day it is horrible. The beaches of LA are good the way they are, and if the city actually had a river instead of the concrete crap, it would be cooler still.
I give up, what does it look like? ;)
The anti-cheesehead said:
You can probably guess what my computer desktop looks like:

I like it the way it is but i wouldnt doubt that it would have looked much nicer by the pacific or even better in the Rancho Palos Verde Peninsula, with its high cliffs but that didnt happen
so im sattisfied as it is.
i wouldnt mind if the skyline was in Long Beach, because LB already has a pretty decent skyline, it would be better if it was in LB, but its fine where it is
ReddAlert said:
Do you guys think the LA skyline would be more appreciated if it was built on the ocean instead of the middle of the city. I really like the skyline how it is..but it would look so much more impressive if it was on the ocean.
it looks alright where it is, but downtown would be more popular by the sea.
downtown la is fine where it is, it plays nicely with the mountains (when u can see them of course)

i just wish long beach had a bigger skyline

one for the mountains, one for the water :)
i wouldnt mind if the skyline was in Long Beach, because LB already has a pretty decent skyline, it would be better if it was in LB, but its fine where it is
We already have too many cities with their skylines by a body of water... LA is an alternative to that and it does it beautifully with the San Gabriel mountains as a backdrop.
There should be a rule to not bump 2 year old threads.
I guess so... blame Robert for that... it seems like he's been doing that quite often lately.
^ I've been trying to tell you guys that Robert is an odd one...:Hilarious:
They should have built LA's downtown in outer space.
on another forum i read bumping old threads is a long running joke between the OG's as the noobies try to respond to them with serious answers. hilarious
whatever. i dont see why this discussion two years ago isnt relevant today. this place is about the sharing of ideas - i have better things to do than try to find ways to make fun of people - lame

btw, i joined before robert and just after worldwide
No doubt it's amazing, but unfortunately LA rarely looks like that.
Can a city kick any more ass than this?

Downtown never looks that large from the Southbay.
Usually you can see the skyline and the mountains from that vantage point, even with the high smog levels.
No doubt it's amazing, but unfortunately LA rarely looks like that.
21 - 40 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.