SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had information on this. It is the fourth longest tunnel in the country.

It was built in 1798 and closed in 1926 following a number of roof collapses.

The line can sill be traced, but the portals have been covered up.

The Eastern Portal by Phylis Nicklin

The western portal is by Lapal Lane just off Manor Lane, Halesowen, nothing remains.

The Eastern Portal, photographer unknown

I know there is/was a vent in Woodgate Valley, but do not know if it still stands.

There is currently a restoration project, hope fully aiming to get the tunnel up and running again.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Hate to be a pedant but the tunnel closed in 1917, not 1926, as a result of mining subsidence. :)

According to the Wikipedia article, they Lapal Canal Trust have been advised to not restore the tunnel but replace it with a new up-and-over alignment instead.

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I originally wrote 1917, but changed it when another date came up.

I read about Atkins suggesting and over the top approach, but I would be quite interested in using the old tunnel as a pilot hole.

I'd love to see some pictures surface of inside.

I was wondering if any were about, and mentioned the vent with the hope that cameras were winched down. Obviously not.

Still interested to see what people know

·
habitual lurker
22 Posts
this place has been of a passing interest to me for some years seeing as it is so close to me, but not enough to hunting for the vent as yet. Probably be rank down there but only one way to find out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts