SkyscraperCity banner

1141 - 1160 of 11446 Posts

·
Administrator
34,511 Posts
well they only have themselves to blame. they are the core of the london insurance market and the likes of the willis building and swiss re are let out to the big insurance companies.

·
Ho hum
2,916 Posts
It's also funny that I spoke to a person that works in The Lloyd's Building and they said they feel like they're being surrounded by giants and getting dwarfed and forgotten about.
I'm surprised they feel that way to be honest. Size isn't everything and Lloyd's is such a seminal and unique building. I mean the HSBC and Barclays buildings in Canary Wharf are both far bigger than Lloyds but the average person on the street wouldn't be able to recognise them. Nah - there's life in the oil refinery for a while yet.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Like a Soane-esque vision, Lloyds will disappear into the urban fabric of London and end up like one of those hidden gems like the Inns of Court.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
eh? nah it is pretty invisible from the skyline now, possibly when it was first built, skyline shots of the building are always taken from strange angles, probably from another office. Tourists walk all the way up leadenhall to see Lloyds in the flesh, up close and naked

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Support structure almost there. It was really noisy there today, lots of activity, about 15 McGee lorries full of gravel and dirt, I assume they must be excavating (see third picture).

This is just one que of lorries.

·
Surveying a town near you
911 Posts
So once this platform is up it will start to come down the more conventional 'top down' way will it?
by the way its great to see all these updates and pics, all we seem to have u/c in exeter is a new shopping centre at the moment, very mundane compared to london!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
From what I saw on saturday it's been completely gutted inside already, so hopefully it should be a very quick job to just remove the remaining floors? Then it's just the core left.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I don't know what that platform will be used for. the may have stopped doing the structure like C&S Bank because of it.

·
Registered
24,129 Posts
The platform supports the remaining part of the building so they can start demolishing from the top - remember if they had done this without the platform in place all of the floors would have fallen to the ground.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So I take it that basement construction will soon be underway? Is it possible that the demolition of the original building will be completed as the undergound works are? If so than exeilent! This will ensure that the pace of the project does not slacken and that the building should begin rising by this time next year. Not before time but well worth it!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
no photos and they're not hanging around, with three scaffolders hard at work this afternoon. A layer of scaffold has been built on the platform and covers the first floor above it. Won't be long before this is covered in white wrap.

1141 - 1160 of 11446 Posts