Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by Ttebrocs efforts to start a map for Leeds, and agreeing that we should have one, I have been exploring how easy or not it is and found that because I have lots of information/pictures already on my computer it is reasonably easy for me to populate such a map. I have therefore made my own map and thought the first thing to do is to publish the link to make sure it actually works.

Leeds City Development Map

It is not finished but I have included most of the big schemes (except HS2). Any problems or comments, as I am sure I have got something wrong, please let me know in this thread. Also if there is something I have completely missed or suggestions for inclusion let me know.

You can see the skyline for reference here -

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Inspired by Ttebrocs efforts to start a map for Leeds, and agreeing that we should have one, I have been exploring how easy or not it is and found that because I have lots of information/pictures already on my computer it is reasonably easy for me to populate such a map. I have therefore made my own map and thought the first thing to do is to publish the link to make sure it actually works.

Leeds City Development Map

It is not finished but I have included most of the big schemes (except HS2). Any problems or comments, as I am sure I have got something wrong, please let me know in this thread. Also if there is something I have completely missed or suggestions for inclusion let me know.
Looks good!! Has lots more detail than I've got round to adding on mine. If it helps I can export the data tables for all the sites I've added so far to make sure everything is listed, I think I'd have to give you access to edit the map however, feel free to send an email address on private message and I'll make it accessible.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Great work mate. What about splitting those with planning between those which are still conditional and those where all conditions have been discharged?
I have to do this for all the proposals I deal with at work (around 15/16 across the north) and it's a nightmare.... It would take someone very brave with a lot of time to organise them like this and keep it updated :nuts:

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes a good idea but should the map only include the city centre or should the outskirts developments be included? Thorpe Park, The East Leeds Extension for example?
I suppose most of the schemes are more likely in the centre but Thorpe Park, Kirstall Forge etc should be included and someone mentioned Headingley as well. I will update when I get an hour to spare.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have updated with the suggestions above plus quite a few others that came up last week and some I had already on a list. I dont think it will ever be finished as such as there will always be something to add/update, but now it should be relatively easy to do that. As before anything wrong or that needs adding please let me know.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have updated with more of the out of center schemes including Skelton services and the Enterprise Zone up the A63 and there is a lot more work going on there than I realised.

We could really do with something large starting though - what has happened to all those schemes with planning that were about to start according to the experts?

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
what a grr8 informative map, cheers tigerman. :) btw the former krupps Works on kirkstall /armley bridge road has had some extensive demolition done. I never realised it was such a large site... a nice building the old stone one that they're keeping.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what a grr8 informative map, cheers tigerman. :) btw the former krupps Works on kirkstall /armley bridge road has had some extensive demolition done. I never realised it was such a large site... a nice building the old stone one that they're keeping.
Thanks Mike. Now that I have got the main stuff on it is easy to edit and update, so I am always adding text and new pics as I come across them and adding the new stuff that continually comes up, so over time it should improve and become an even better resource for those that are interested.

I have updated to the end of the week and added Millwright student scheme, the University Business Block and some others. I had already added the East Link Orbital Road (which was in the news this week), which is not only a big development on its own but will also be a catalyst for more development for years to come.

I would also like to say that I appreciate all the posters who keep us informed with news, planning applications and details etc - because without them I would miss a lot of what is going on.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been gradually updating over the last week or so with all the new stuff that has been coming up and have added more pics and up to date info. There is quite a lot of proposals spread over the city now and if the major starts that we are expecting at Mustard Wharf and Monksbridge come to fruition it will be a real boost.
Quite possible that demolition at Hume House, Stick and Twist and X1 Hunslet could all be underway before the end of the year too. The big qustion though is will Moda actually start at Quarry Hill or is it just more smoke and mirrors?

·
7,100 Posts
I've got to say that is an exceptional piece of work on that link tigerman - up to date, clear and easy to use - well done, faultless! :)

I recommend the rest of you guys and visitors to take a look, it makes everything proposed or under development in Leeds nice and clear.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its been a good last week or so for Leeds with the YEP site and Mustard Wharf starting and Vita II restarting, and Wellington Place No 4 confirmed for next month. Then we have demolition and a confirmed contract for Unite and Monksbridge expected to start shortly.

I have updated with these and included some new descriptions and images as well. The under construction list now has 40 items and the approved list has another 39 items, so perhaps more than expected.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've noticed one development that's missing off the map. There's loads of houses being built at the old Sandoz works at Horsforth/Rodley. I'm pretty sure there's more development in that area. I'll see if I can find owt.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts