Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Liberty - Braamfontein​

Name: The Liberty
Floors: 10
Height: ?
http://www.pace.co.za

The Liberty is an exciting new development in uptown Johannesburg Braamfontein, specifically designed to meet the needs of the trendy new-age city dweller. The building features the latest in modern conveniences, including its own gym, laundry and state of the art security. Offering a turnkey solution to trendy urban dwelling - The Liberty is setting the standards for modern New York-style apartment living.

Features:

• Spectacular Views
  • Open Plan Living Area
  • Generous Windows with Blinds
  • Stainless Steel Appliances
  • Dishwasher or Washing Machine
  • Flat Screen TV
  • Home Entertainment Theatre
  • Wireless Internet
  • Concierge and Caretaker
  • State-of-the-art Gym
  • In-house Laundry
  • 24 Hour Security
  • Finger Print Access Control
  • Basement Control
  • Store Rooms

BRAAMFONTEIN
Braamfontein is much in demand and is fast becoming one of Johannesburg's trendiest urban nodes. It's well located, straddling Jan Smuts Avenue and Empire Road, which provide quick access north, east and west. Braamfontein's infrastructure is good, and the suburb is contained enough to develop a strong community spirit. If you're looking for a dynamic and vibrant lifestyle, then this is the place to be.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I REALLY REALLY REALLY like this one - the views are killer ass and it's in a cool ass part of town. GOOOOO Pace Rez.... :D

So far their inner city projects are:

100 Jorissen - going very well
College House - almost finished
And Milpark Mews, which isn't in the city but it's just outside Milpark Mews, so they deserve all the recognition they can get for bucking the trend in Joburg by going NEW urbanism!!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Yeah, something about this one makes me go crazy too... I love it! Keep them coming, keep them coming ;)

I have to do quite an update on our list of Joburg developments ;)

-thryve

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think one might find the facades of these new projects all quite similar because they're regeneration projects, so there isn't much room for change. I think the facade is cool too, but what I most love about this building is the view and the fact that it's in the city.

·
23,074 Posts
OH...So they not demolishing the existing building at all? Just a new look in and out? Then, a pertinent question, are any of the developments in Downtown Jozi a new build???

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope... they're all touch ups. But it makes sense because it would just be too expensive to demolist a building and build a new one.

Any NEW high-rise development (with the exception of the Standard Bank parkade lol) in Joburg takes place in the 'burbs and Sandton.

·
23,074 Posts
^^ Thanx tom...so the city aint getting denser, its just getting touched up and made better...

·
Afritect
4,393 Posts
is it me or old braam going up quicky i lived there for 3 months this year since then theres been 4 new luxury/uppermarket apartments go up for development opening of piknpay steers ,wimpy ,legit,spirols ,heart lands, debonaries and etc ,wits new art gal upgrading of landscape around the whole area ,upgrading of gov offices new office block at goverment building (u/c) new parkade now this watch this space ct cbd was like this look where it is now there still some bad buildings but its safe CLEAN and getting there

·
Registered
8 Posts
The unit layouts look ok and seems to have adequate natural light , however some of the apartments have bedrooms without windows and it seems you have have to walk through them to get into the living areas.
It's an improvement on some of the other developments by Pace on their website where there are units of 26 square meters and smaller. I don't know who they expect will live in them but I consider such developments substandard and inhumane . Way clear the slums of today to replace them with what will be the slums of tomorrow.

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
The unit layouts look ok and seems to have adequate natural light , however some of the apartments have bedrooms without windows and it seems you have have to walk through them to get into the living areas.
It's an improvement on some of the other developments by Pace on their website where there are units of 26 square meters and smaller. I don't know who they expect will live in them but I consider such developments substandard and inhumane . Way clear the slums of today to replace them with what will be the slums of tomorrow.
Not every person can afford 100m2 of living space. Would you rather buildings lie empty and decaying? This is a student precinct. Students and young prof don't necessarily want hundreds of square metres. Just a space to crash. SLums - Strong word. A building becomes a slum when landowners cram too many people in, or when money is not spent on upkeep. Small units have nothing to do with slumlording. In fact, bigger apartments are easier prey for slumlords, because you fit more people in. This is the case in hillbrow with massive bachelors apartments (built in the 1960's and 1970's).

Small units are fine, if they are not overcrowded. In Manhattan apartments are much smaller, and superexpensive. And Manhattan is not a slum.

Students and young prof will be expected to live in them. not families. A building will only deteriorate if building management looses interest. Ponte is an example. Once the haven for criminals, prostitutes and druglords. Overcrowded, filthy, falling apart. For the past three years Trafalgar has managed it. 70% rental. Almost no-one in arrears. The building is once more safe, secure and clean. It is about management, not about the glorious finishes or the size of the apartments.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
The ground floors is vacant on thi one, are they gonna have retail there?

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Pace opens retail on the bottom floors of most of their developments. This helps lower the levies in the building according to them - as the rental income goes into the levy pool. So bound to be retail...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've recently discoverd that a friend of mine lives in this building. She's a young professional working in Houghton, and finds the building convenient because it's in the city and it's not as expensive to rent as Killarney, Rosebank or Sandton would be. She feels that unfortunately she still has to drive to get some entertainment (ie, Melville), but I do think that in time we'll start seeing some retail and lifestyle development in Braamfontein. Someone just has to take that all important step.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts