SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
I said love, I said pet
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've all seen the classic London postcard images - St Pauls, The Tower of London, Picadilly Circus, Big Ben, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Canary Wharf and monuments galore. The list goes on.

This is the REAL London where people live. Off the tourist trail and away from the camera's lense. Council estates, commieblocks, tower blocks, sink estates - call them what you will but London is full of them.

South London's Finest:
Heygate Estate, Walworth SE17

Aylesbury Estate, Walworth SE17

Pepys Estate, Deptford SE8

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks like China, minus the bicycles.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
yeah, but there's still about as many nice streets of terrace houses.

besides, i've shown "the side they don't want you to see" before. it's nothing new, or hidden.

-

·
Inconsciente Coletivo
6,114 Posts
What´s the problem with commieblocks? It´s Better than the slums in megacities! :|

·
Another 300m+ please!
431 Posts
Perhaps this is a side of London some dont want people to see, but it is there all the same.

Of course some parts of London have more of this type of housing than others, some parts are almost all this kind of housing, but what you have to remember is London is such a massive city, and overall many of these projects are more a less spread out all over the place.

There are so many tower blocks / estates in london, yet its so hard to find any images of them on the internet! here is a selection of council estates ive managed to find :) some of these images are old, some new :

Broadwater Farm Estate : ("The Broadwater Farm Estate in Tottenham hit the headlines on the 6th October 1985 after a ferocious night of rioting which resulted in dozens of casualties and the murder of PC Keith Blakelock.")

The Brandon Estate, Southwark :

Alton West Estate, Wandsworth :

Churchhill Gardens Estate, Pimlico :

Elmington Estate, Camberwell :

Cobbett Street, Clapham Rd :

Golden Lane Estate :

Totteridge House, Wandsworth :

Dragon Estate, Brentford :

Trellick Tower, Notting Hill :

and some more :

Various Towers about London, i do not know the names of all of these, so many! :

blocks in Lambeth :

Stockwell blocks :

unknown blocks from bus :

various location unknown :

Burgess Park, South London :

Stonebridge Estate NW London :

Alton Estate West Roehampton :

Wapping blocks :

estate in Peckham, South London :

blocks in Hackney :

Holy Street, Hackney :

East London blocks :

council flats in tower Hamlets

various :

low rise block West London :

tower in SE London :

Kensal Green Estate, West London :

Kier Hardy housing estate shortly before demolition East London UK :

block in Whitechapel :

South London towers :

Walworth block :

estates in Clapham :

London Kidbrooke Park Estate :

inner city block :

Holly Street :

isle of dogs blocks :

Clapton Park Estate, Hackney :

tower blocks reflected in the river lee hackney :

Swiss Cottage estate :

South Kilburn Estate :

estate in Bow :

Dagenham council estate :

Nightingale Estate Hackney, known for its drug related violence :

High rise housing estate in London at sunset :

London tower blocks with rainbow :

·
Another 300m+ please!
431 Posts
and to all you lot (we reckon the uk forumers the most maybe) being funny about this thread, we expected it.

at the end of the day, the thing i love the most about this site is seeing sides to cities i dont get the chance to. it opens my mind and makes me want to see more.

thats why this thread exists, nothing more, nothing less. of all the cities, london tries so hard to be the 'postcard' city, hence why this thread is here, cos its not all that rosy in places, and yes, not all that bad either, and other cities are 'ghetto' also, and its worse elsewhere, blah, blah blah, everywhere has its issues. serious ones at that.

its just a load of pictures, showing another side to another great city, thats all. i hope some of you enjoy :)

·
I said love, I said pet
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Southwyck House aka 'The Barrier Block', Brixton SW9

·
Inconsciente Coletivo
6,114 Posts
I didn´t know that there were black people in England! Well, i got to say that some commies are really poor and horrible, but some are coll and sympathic, i would live there! :)

There is a thread in brasilian forum, where people are talking about this "perfection" of european cities! It´s very interesting! :)

·
I said love, I said pet
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tarcísio Tamarozi said:
I didn´t know that there were black people in England!
Are you kidding me? Approx 10% of London's poulation is black but this rises to 35-50% in areas like Brixton, Peckham, Hackney and Harlesden.

All the UK's major cities have black populations, largely from the Caribbean initalially but now more commonly from Africa.

·
Registered
818 Posts
These areas are no secret in London. In big cities there is always going to be inequality. At least the people that live on these estates have a roof over their heads and are reasonably well looked after by the government. It's a far better situation than in many other cities of London's size.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Blindfold said:
Are you kidding me? Approx 10% of London's poulation is black but this rises to 35-50% in areas like Brixton, Peckham, Hackney and Harlesden.

All the UK's major cities have black populations, largely from the Caribbean initalially but now more commonly from Africa.
that's it for Brixton? it seemed a lot higher. on some blocks in Brixton/southeast London, with the chicken eateries, nail/hair shops i felt like like i was back in the hood in America on my way to teach school. it was the first (and one of the few) things that made me homesick. :cheers:

-

1 - 20 of 289 Posts