Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the center of your urban core, which street or streets forms the longest stretch of continuously pedestrian-friendly corridors?

I'm talking about streets that have continuous sidewalks, crosswalks at each intersection, within walking distances of commercial businesses. How does your Metro measure up?

·
Mostly Sane
2,332 Posts
I presume you don't mean the run-of-the-mill street that has everything your definition contains, because most streets in urban cores would qualify. Maybe a clarification would include only streets that have been primarily pedestrian-oriented through either tradition or planning?

Perhaps the best known and longest in the Twin Cities is the mile-long Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis, originally designed in 1962 by landscape architect Lawrence Halprin, and updated in the 1980's. It's a pedestrian/transit street with most of the city's large shopping stores (Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Saks off Fifth, Target, etc.).

However, there are eight miles of continuous pedestrian-only, 2nd-floor walkways (skyways) connecting 69 downtown blocks in Minneapolis as well.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
In Chicago, for shopping it is obviously Michigan Ave's Magnificent Mile, followed by State St. in the Loop.

Michigan Ave's streetwall facing Grant Pk (and Millennium) takes you past endless quality vintage architecture. LaSalle Street in the Loop, the heart of the financial district, with the Board of Trade at its foot....Chicago's greatest canyon.

·
Banned
518 Posts
Wisconsin Avenue (Rockville Pike)-15 miles

From Georgetown, DC to Rockville, MD.

There are three 500-1000ft gaps in the stores at the Naval Observatory (VP's house), Bethesda Naval Hospital/NIH and at Georgetown Prep/Strathmore.

·
Premium Member
30,859 Posts
I cant think of much right now, but Pratt Street here is somewhat ped-friendly...not very long though...I could walk the whole thing in like 5 minutes.

If they could get rid of the damn cars, and there were more businesses, it would be great. But there's starting to be some nightlife activity in the area.

WARNING: This picture is horribly out of date. It really doesn't look like this anymore. The pic is from 2000.

:eek:ld:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Miami is a metro of corridors so this is a tough one. Maybe Coral Way from Coral Gables all the way into Downtown Miami (about 4 miles). Then again you could go with Biscayne Blvd from the Miami River up to about 80 Street (about 5 miles). On the other hand you could go with Collins Ave from 1st street all the way to Bal Harbour unbroken (10 miles?) or all the way to West Palm Beach with a few breaks in it (100 miles).

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Assuming you aren't referring only to "retail canyons", Detroit's Woodward Ave runs about 19 miles from downtown to Birmingham with nothing but dense, gridded neighborhoods, streetfront or streetside retail, and sidewalks. That entire stretch of Woodward was mostly developed by the 50's.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
I'm guessing the Embarcadero in San Francisco, anyone more familiar with the city to help?

I'm usually driving when I'm in SF, so no clue.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Wisconsin Avenue (Rockville Pike)-15 miles

From Georgetown, DC to Rockville, MD.

There are three 500-1000ft gaps in the stores at the Naval Observatory (VP's house), Bethesda Naval Hospital/NIH and at Georgetown Prep/Strathmore.
a fascinating ride for those who want to see how suburbia has urbanized. due to DC height restrictions, the huge high rise condos (huge more from width than height) begin at the MD line and continue northward. you can tell on this corridor how Metro service has increased density. Strangely Georgetown's smaller scaled buildings and cozy environment seems less intense than the suurban offerings.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
In Balltimore, it would have to be the Inner Harbor Promenade. It stretches 7 miles around the harbor's edge going through downtown and residential areas. It's a great walk!

DOWNTOWN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts