1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copy/pasted from SSP:

Downtown Los Angeles

Liberty Plaza
The Liberty Plaza would have been located next door to the Central Library and located in the front of the ARCO Towers? The Liberty Plaza is probably cancelled by now since the rendering was made in 1987, WZMH Group.

Metropolis
Is it still alive? 3 towers all around 30 Stories high, rendering made in 1990, Michael Graves Architects / City Center Development

West End Towers Project
2 Towers around the MCI Plaza , One Tower around 35 floors other around 50 floors high, cancelled, rendering made in 1985.

Original MTA Building
Looks better than the current design, more modern. Rendering made in 1992, Dworsky Associates.

Anaheim

The Plaza Alicante
Beaucchamp Enterprises / WZMH Group Architects Los Angeles, rendering made in 1987, 15 stories high.

Anaheim Convention Center (old project)
The original design was taller, Hellmuth Obata & Kassabaum / The SWA Group, rendering made in 1996.

New! 1/2/04

747 Tower
The 747 Tower is cancelled but it did get the 1992 Los Angeles Chapter AIA Unbuillt Project Award.

Pershing Square Center
427 W. 5th St.
In the Downtown LA map it is market as future development. In this rendering the Gas Company Tower is the blue tower, the rendering was made in 1994.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope they revise the design. The one shown is butt ugly. However, I really like the 747 Tower. However, it needs a couple of setbacks. And the Anaheim Convention Center is stunning. I wonder if that laser shines really high ala Luxor.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
ya i dont think those renderings are very accurate as to what is going to get built there. First, the new project is taller and second, it was suppose to be an office complex back in the day, but now it will be mostly residential with over a 1000 units i beleive.

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
The liberty tower is definately dead, as Miguire/Thomas partners, one of Los Angeles' largest downtown commercial developers has already built the central library addition on the site. the developer built the addition for the city, (if i remember somewhere around 300,000 sq. ft.) to gain the site's air rights for a project directly across 5th st., the US bank tower,(then known as the library tower).

The metropolis project has been on the boards for at least 15 years without to many design changes, (doe's anyone know if Micheal Graves is still architect?) I always thought his work to be to solid and blocked, without much glass for naturel light. I can't wait to see the redesign with the 53 story tower and it's sisters.

The 747 tower was originally proposed by Ahmannson Development group, (the owners of the now dead Home Savings of America S and L) to be a 47 story office tower, mid block on Flower st. between 7th and 8th streets,(and yes, this tower did have two setbacks on the west face, at about the 15th and 35th floor levels) the west face is not visable in these renderings. this was to be part of a 4 building mega development proposed by the said developer, and two other developers. bounded to the west by Figuaroa st. (the block model shown has the other buildings in it, although the slide reproduced here is backwards). the first part of the development was to convert the existing 12 story 818 building on 7th st. to condo's, and then build a 55 story hotel behind the 818 build. facing Figuaroa st. with it's lobby connected to the 818 build. and the third developer (a large firm out of Japan) was to build a 23 story luxury hotel on the corner of 8th and Fig. (the area between the two hotels west of or behind the office tower, to be a drop off loop road and public space, i beleve the architect of the 55 story hotel was Hellmouth, Obata, and Kassaboum. but don't quote me on it. this plan died with the S&L collapse back in the late 80's

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Threehundred said:
Copy/pasted from SSP:
The Plaza Alicante
Beaucchamp Enterprises / WZMH Group Architects Los Angeles, rendering made in 1987, 15 stories high.
no, it was built.. it's actually in Garden Grove though, and it's the Hyatt

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
747 would have been a landmark US skyscraper :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts