SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Magic of Nessebar - Black Sea Treasure

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  billyandmandy 
#1 · (Edited)
Nessebar, previously known as Mesembria and before that as Menebria, is an ancient city on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria.

In modern times, Nesebar has become a major tourist attraction in what has become a popular area with several large resorts—the largest, Sunny Beach, is situated immediately to the north of Nessebar.

The ancient part of the town is situated on a peninsula connected to the mainland by a man-made isthmus, and it bears evidence of occupation by a variety of different civilisations (Thracian, Ancient Greeks, Byzantines, Bulgarians, Ottomans). Its abundance of historic buildings prompted UNESCO to inscribe Nessebar on its list of World Heritage Sites in 1983. It is said that at its apogee the city held more then 40 churches, nowadays only 13-15 are left.

Enjoy the beauty of Nessebar

See less See more
#4 ·
Nowadays Nesebar and the resort of Sunny Beach are virtually the same place. Sunny Beach has grown towards Nesebar up to the point of becoming like its twin town (not in appearance, of course). It is projected that the town of St. Vlas, to the north, will soon, due to the development, join this new mega-resort.
So we can actually talk of Nesebar/Sunny Beach/St.Vlas, as virtually the same place.

Here are some photos of the Nesebar/Sunny Beach/St.Vlas development.

#6 ·
Nessebar is definitively a good place to spend your summer vacations, although it has lost some of its authenticy because of the numerous hotels, stores and restaurants that opened in the old town, (10 years ago, you would have thought that the city was frozen in Ancient times) it is still worth visiting.

Besides Sunny Beach is really nice for going out at night

#9 ·
^well the old town hasn't changed that much(i was there last summer) it's just overcrowded,but the new town is a differen thing-and this is sad.In fact the whole concept of the construction that is going on at the moment at the coast is wrong.Everyboby is building,building,building.... like crazy-they are just destroying the coastline.

#10 ·
Well last time I went there was in 2004, and the first time in 93'. At that time the Nessebar municipality both Old and New was not that developped. I remember that there were still alot of tourist, but the only difference is that the feeling of wandering in Nessebar's streets was much more interesting. Back then there was maximum 5 boutiques, 3 restaurants, 3 hotels in the Old Town, when nowadays every house has become one of the above with hundreds of banner sticking all over the houses facades. I agree that they are needed in order to make business, but I mean there are limits. When tourists start to complain about the humongeous amount of kiosques in the streets, it a sign you have to do something about it. They should have developped a proper organized restaurant/hotel/nighclub area after the isthmus on the coast of the New Town, unlike the unorganized building they have started all over the coastline. Kvo izkate Balgarska rabota...

#12 · (Edited)
Nessebar - Black Sea treasure

Nesebar has on several occasions found itself on the frontier of a threatened empire, and as such it is a town with a rich history. The ancient part of the town is situated on a peninsula (previously an island) connected to the mainland by a narrow man-made isthmus, and it bears evidence of occupation by a variety of different civilisations over the course of its existence. Its abundance of historic buildings prompted UNESCO to include Nesebar in its list of World Heritage Sites in 1983.

#17 ·
boom shakalaka, done

It's probably among the most beautiful spots on the eastern Black sea coast, I won't count Crimea, nor the Turkish shoreline which I'm unfamiliar with, but Nessebar is unlike anything else in the Bulgarian coast.
It's good that they want to protect it from the over commercialization, and perhaps they can publicize other nice spots like Sozopol as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.