SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Project for Public Spaces, a non-profit urbanist organisation based in NYC, has chosen Boul. St-Laurent as one of the 9 best streets in the world.

http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/great_streets/touring_the_worlds_finest_streets

Touring the World's Finest Streets

A central part of PPS's work is helping communities get the most out of their streets, both as transportation links for all modes of commuters and as vital places for people to enjoy. That's why we showcase many of the world's best streets in our website's Great Public Spaces listings, which begins with people's nominations of their favorite public spaces- streets, parks, squares, markets, buildings and others.

Here we offer a classic street in each category from our Great Public Spaces listings and links to many other examples. And we invite you to help us discover more great streets (view the sidebar on this page for details).

BOULEVARDS

Montreal, Canada: Boulevard Saint Laurent

Boulevard Saint Laurent
Montreal, Canada

This boulevard is home to many nationalities; it is trendy, eclectic and nostalgic.

Why It Works
Affectionately known as "The Main," it bisects Montreal down the middle, linking the northern middle class residences, the garment district, Little Italy, the Plateau district, Chinatown, Vieux Montreal, and the seaport. 14 nationalities call The Main theirs. 24 hours a day there are people walking about, and enjoying the sights and smells of the various cultures and lifestyles that call the street home. It is trendy, eclectic, nostalgic and impassable during summer festivals.

What Makes Boulevard Saint Laurent a Great Place?
The Metro runs the full length of the Main. Traffic flows fairly well as it is one way, but parking can be a problem.
The visual look and feel changes with every city block. In Vieux Montreal, narrow cobblestone streets teeming with tourists give way to the low rise storefront architecture of the Plateau with some of the best restaurants and bars in town. Little Italy section is lit up at night like Mulberry St in NYC. Uptown, past Jarry Park, the road becomes wider, the buildings become more industrial. That is where the fashion district bargain shopping begins.
Summertime is when the Plateau stretch often is closed to traffic, and festivals take over the street. There are lots of restaurants, night clubs, and boutiques. You can find the best steakhouse in Canada, and some of the best Italian restaurants in North America.
People tend to come down in groups. During the day it is mainly locals, at night it is taken over by the suburbanites and tourists.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
St-Laurent is without a doubt my favorite street in town!

·
Banned
728 Posts
And the best thing is the side walks have been widen and the street got a face lift ,no more cracking and holes :lol:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Be fair to it! your favourite boulevard in town.:)

The ranking makes sense; boulevard Saint-Laurent's buzz would have lasted whether or not it had been redone.

True, It is a Boulevard. Nothing could take away the buzz and the energy that street gives off! Not even the fake/force-fed/Sleasy vibe of Crescent!

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
a boulevard with two lanes? one way? and lots of decrepit shit holes beteween sherbrooke and Old Montréal... really!?? standards are pretty low around here.

·
Banned
728 Posts
That's why I called it the coolest street :lol: but I don't party there though , I have my own favorite Montreal "Cartier" to enjoy , isn't that amazing about Montreal ?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Good to see the Main get international recognition - it is one of Montreal's and Canada's most distinctive streets, though some stretches are still in need of help, particularly between China Town and Sherbrooke Street.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
lol, what is up with that? Feels like your going to get shot from Chinatown to Sherbrooke, but then it is all nice afterwards.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
though some stretches are still in need of help, particularly between China Town and Sherbrooke Street.
They will be working on that in the next few years. With teh Quartier des Spectacles, you can expect that stretch of the main to see some nice investments to improve its look and feel!

·
The good old days are now
476 Posts
Personally my favourite street in Montreal is Sherbrooke. Especially near where they are building the Waldorf=Astoria!

·
Banned
728 Posts
There are few of them ,but aggressive and alot ? not really just one or two some time three just sitting on the stair case of a sleezy hotel up stair of the sexshop across the nite club Opera or sometimes hanging infront of Label province restaurant and the stores around them is not that many of a redlight district though ,but most of the time they look sleepy or stone and old whores so I just kind of brush them off everytime I walked pass them with no problem hehe... a few more have move down to the peep show next to Berri UQAM they are a bit younger but overall don't look intimidate at all ,sometime they are just target for amusement from passer by ( especially with horny guys who spend all money on booze ,desperately trying to get a b/j for free but get verbal curses from them every time that happen hehe)

·
9,240 Posts
There are few of them ,but aggressive and alot ? not really just one or two some time three just sitting on the stair case of a sleezy hotel up stair of the sexshop across the nite club Opera or sometimes hanging infront of Label province restaurant and the stores around them is not that many of a redlight district though ,but most of the time they look sleepy or stone and old whores so I just kind of brush them off everytime I walked pass them with no problem hehe... a few more have move down to the peep show next to Berri UQAM they are a bit younger but overall don't look intimidate at all ,sometime they are just target for amusement from passer by ( especially with horny guys who spend all money on booze ,desperately trying to get a b/j for free but get verbal curses from them every time that happen hehe)
One time I was walking by and I saw a gang of them with guys in the peep show. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts