SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2202 Posts

·
Registered
27,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely devastating day for Britain. I don't think many of the Leave voters really realise what they've done here. The future is going to be tough, especially for a city like Manchester. I like to think I'm an optimist but I think it's very difficult to do that when the future looks so uncertain.

Regardless, here's a Greater Manchester roundup.

EU Referendum - Greater Manchester

• Bolton - VOTES LEAVE - 58%/42%

• Bury - VOTES LEAVE - 54%/46%

• Rochdale - VOTES LEAVE - 60%/40%

• Oldham - VOTES LEAVE - 60%/40%

• Tameside - VOTES LEAVE - 61%/39%

• Stockport - VOTES REMAIN - 52%/48%

• Manchester - VOTES REMAIN - 60%/40%

• Trafford - VOTES REMAIN - 58%/42%

• Salford - VOTES LEAVE - 56%/44%

• Wigan - VOTES LEAVE - 64%/36%

So the Greater Manchester north-south divide laid out for all to see with Manchester, Stockport and Trafford voting to Stay whilst the 'industrial arc' in the North vote to Leave.

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
VDB you are wrong.

Democracy wins every time and Obama was telling the UK what to do. Is he acting in our benefit or his? What do you think a sitting US President is doing? Helping the UK.

Absorb that.

Now think about motives

You conclude they had something to lose?

It's done. Moving on. Bored already!

·
Registered
27,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uomo.

I will always respect the course of democracy but it does have its faults and is not always representative of the people. The fact that nearly half of the population wanted to stay in the EU, and yet we are still leaving, is very indicative of that.

But you're right - it's done now, we have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I guess we'll find out quite quickly how the vote will affect all these shiny new projects proposed.

I sincerely hope we still see Owen Street, 10-12 Whitworth St, Axis, Moda Living and the St Johns proposals rise soon, but it would be no great surprise to see a couple of years pause until the developers are confident the market conditions are right for these kind of proposals.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Interesting that the most outward-looking, economically vibrant, culturally-positive, cosmopolitan, gay-friendly, welcoming, bright parts of the UK generally voted in favour.

Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Oxford, Newcastle, York. Places you might wanna move to.

Generalising of course. But a fascinating list nonetheless?

·
Registered
27,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting that the most outward-looking, economically vibrant, culturally-positive, cosmopolitan, gay-friendly, welcoming, bright parts of the UK generally voted in favour.

Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Oxford, Newcastle, York. Places you might wanna move to.

Generalising of course. But a fascinating list nonetheless?
We always knew it was going to be the most educated, talented, forward-thinking, cosmopolitan and vibrant areas and people of the country who would vote Remain

... and the most bigoted, backward, insular, uneducated, intolerant and bleak areas and people of the country who would vote Leave.

It's such a shame, and a blow to British pride, that the latter category outweigh the former.

·
Registered
27,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I work at a property consultancy in town (I won't say which one lol) and it's absolute turmoil in the office today. Clients ringing in asking us for advice and we just simply don't know what to say.... people running about all over the place trying to find any information they can get their hands on.... all our data is out-of-date where it was up-to-date yesterday, everything we say we have to change our minds on the next minute because something else has changed, lots of people talking about withdrawing funds from their banks...

I'm trying to see an optimistic side here but this is without a shadow of a doubt the worst day for the economy since October 2008.

Sit tight, it's going to be a rough ride.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Nothing is certain now. Of course people are running round.

Do you buy those German parts you need in your engineering firm today or do you wait and see what happens?

Do you invest in the UK now as a foreigner?

Will consumer spending fall through the floor as Brits wait and see what happens, leading us into another recession?

The moderate 48%, who include the political, business and academic leaders need not be disheartened by this. We need to pull together and form links with our European neighbours. We will be the ones pulling us out of this mess.

It's just a shame that those who voted for it will be the ones who will lose the most. Pensioners, The Provincial, C2DEs etc. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
our family business mainly consists of buying stock from Italy and selling it here, so yeah I'm pretty worried.

my brother is worried too as as well as being part of the business he's in the process of buying a flat and is due to send the money next week, he's most likely going to stop the process and take the survey fees etc on the chin

·
Registered
158 Posts
I do have to say that I'm very concerned about the short term impact of Brexit on both Manchester and the rest of the UK.

No doubt this next few years will be tough and while I don't think it hit quite the lows of the 2008 financial crisis.

We will just have to ride it out as ultimately in the long term we'll be fine, but the short term impacts on the UK economy and the Manchester skyline could potentially be devastating, then again who knows? No one at this stage. We'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On top of this I think it is unfair to put all leave voters in one camp. I personally believe there is a credible economic either way and ultimately that's democracy for you!

Not perfect but better than the alternatives!

1 - 20 of 2202 Posts