SkyscraperCity Forum banner
6461 - 6480 of 9545 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all! Does anyone know what this blue thingy in front of 6 WTC is? I've only ever seen it in this one photo:

If you have any other pictures of this blue thingy or of the other surrounding buildings in general (interiors specifically), please let me know as I need references for a model.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Something that the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia had in common with the original WTC Twin Towers (besides both of them being supertall twin structures) is that there also is a mall that connects the towers together.

The mall that connects the Petronas Twin Towers together is called the Suria KLCC.

I still however like the World Trade Center Twin Towers a lot more than I like the Petronas Twin Towers

This shows a size comparison..

Despite the Petronas Twin Towers being considered taller than the WTC Twin Towers, the WTC Twin Towers still looks bigger than the Petronas Twin Towers do.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey all! Does anyone know what this blue thingy in front of 6 WTC is? I've only ever seen it in this one photo: View attachment 378116
If you have any other pictures of this blue thingy or of the other surrounding buildings in general (interiors specifically), please let me know as I need references for a model.
Thanks!
That wasn't anything permanent. There was scaffolding there at the time, you can see it in this video:

Something that the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia had in common with the original WTC Twin Towers (besides both of them being supertall twin structures) is that there also is a mall that connects the towers together.

The mall that connects the Petronas Twin Towers together is called the Suria KLCC.

I still however like the World Trade Center Twin Towers a lot more than I like the Petronas Twin Towers

This shows a size comparison..
View attachment 378139

Despite the Petronas Twin Towers being considered taller than the WTC Twin Towers, the WTC Twin Towers still looks bigger than the Petronas Twin Towers do.
The WTC made a much more massive impression than the Petronas Towers in KL. I've seen both. To me, what made the towers so overwhelming was that it was just a ninety degree angle from bottom all the way to the top. The Petronas Towers (and the new 1 WTC as well) don't have that.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I have a question (I know I asked this before but nobody answered it). Did the original World Trade Center have 6 B-levels under the concourse or did it have 7 B-levels?

This picture shows that it had 7-B levels.

But these other 3 pictures shows that it only had 6 B-levels.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Watch this. I like it.

The original mall under the original WTC complex was so cool looking. I love how the mall connected the lobbies of the Twin Towers together. A mall is the best way to connect buildings together since when going from a building to another building, you can do some shopping or get a bite to eat or both before you go into that building.

By the way, was the first floors of 4 and 5 WTC part of the mall?

Here's map of the plaza level:

Here's a map of the concourse level:

The maps do indicate that the first floors of 4 and 5 WTC were part of the underground mall.

Like what I mean is were the entrances to the mall on the street levels of 4 and 5 WTC on Liberty Street and Vesey Street?
This image of 4 WTC seems to indicate that.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Mini photos of the inside of the hotel. I got them from this website: New York Marriott World Trade Center

Hotel lobby

Concierge Lounge

Concierge Lounge

Presidential Suite

Guest Duplex Room

Guest Double Room

Tall Ships Bar & Grill

Greenhouse Cafe

Pool

Liberty Room

Boardroom

Liberty Room

Grand Ballroom Foyer

Grand Ballroom

Business Center

Exhibit

·
Registered
64 Posts

I did some really, really deep research and found out that the two paintings visible in the background (this is the wtc 7 lobby) are titled
Laestrygonia I and Telepilus Laestrygonia II, respectively. They are both by American contemporary artist Frank Stella and were painted in 1997.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's a compiled list of most of the major art around the WTC complex.
1: Sphere by Fritz Koenig (on the fountain, as you know)
2: Bent Propeller by Alexander Calder (plopped around 3 different locations throughout the complex's history)
3: 1993 bombing memorial by Elyn Zimmerman (on the area of the plaza near the marriott entrance)
4: Ideogram by James Rosati (in between the two towers on the plaza)
5: Cloud Fortress by Masayuki Nagare (placed on a small plaza between 4 and 5 WTC)
6: Union by Lancelot Samson (the marble arcade under the South Tower mezzanine)
7: World Trade Center Tapestry by Joan Miro (hung on the north marble wall in the South Tower mezzanine)
8: Fan Dancing with the Birds by Hunt Slonem (mural that occupied a large wall in the Port Authority Executive Dining Room.
9: Sky Gate, New York by Louise Nevelson (hung on the east marble wall in the North Tower mezzanine)
10: The Third Circle by Al Held (on a wall in the far left side of WTC7's 3rd floor lobby)
11: Laestrygonia I and Telepilus Laestrygonia II by Frank Stella (hung on the far right side of the WTC7 3rd floor lobby, adjacent to the Third Circle)
12: Entablature by Roy Lichtenstein (somewhere in the WTC7 3rd floor lobby)
13: Crusading Euphoria by Ross Bleckner (stripy mural underneath the WTC7 2nd floor)
14: Cloud by Louise Nevelson (on a wall in the left side of the WTC7 ground floor lobby)

Of course, there's also the tons of privately held art in offices, and art in the Marriott Hotel, as well. But these are just the major artworks in highly visible spaces.

6461 - 6480 of 9545 Posts