·
Registered
1,682 Posts
View attachment 981684

View attachment 981685

View attachment 981690

View attachment 981691

You asked for WTC6 lobby, and here's a shot of the loading docks in addition
Great photos! So the reason why the North Tower's lobby on concourse level never had a direct connection to 6 WTC''s lobby on concourse level (despite the fact that the North Tower's lobby on concourse level had a direct connection to the hotel's lobby on concourse level) was because most of the first floor of 6 WTC (the concourse level) was used for storage, and there couldn't be a direct connection to the North Tower's lobby because of it?

·
Registered
852 Posts
You know how the Twin Towers were responsible for extremely strong gusts of wind in the plaza thanks to a phenomenon called the Venturi effect? Was that when they were the only buildings in the complex or was that problem mitigated when the other buildings started emerging?
I believe it was an issue throughout their lifetime. I read somewhere that a building across the street even tried to sue the complex for wind damage.

On nice Spring and Summer days though it would not have been an issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe it was an issue throughout their lifetime. I read somewhere that a building across the street even tried to sue the complex for wind damage.

On nice Spring and Summer days though it would not have been an issue.
Had the original WTC been rebuilt after 9/11, could there have been a way to solve this problem regarding the Twin Towers and the Venturi effect winds? As far as I know, the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur never had that issue.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Great photos! So the reason why the North Tower's lobby on concourse level never had a direct connection to 6 WTC''s lobby on concourse level (despite the fact that the North Tower's lobby on concourse level had a direct connection to the hotel's lobby on concourse level) was because most of the first floor of 6 WTC (the concourse level) was used for storage, and there couldn't be a direct connection to the North Tower's lobby because of it?
Here's a detailed map pf 6 WTC's lobby on concourse level:

Here's rest of the concourse: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It does seem that, that whole floor was mostly used for storage.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have a question. How come the plaza was elevated from the street level instead of it being on the same level as the street? Wouldn't it have made more sense for it to be that way? There still could have been an underground mall (just people would had to of completely go down stairs, escalators, and elevators to get to it). Couldn't the plaza have been on the same level as West Street, Vesey Street, and Liberty Street?

I mean didn't anyone else think that the stairs connected to the towers (that brought people from the street to the plaza) kinda made the towers look goofy?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I loved that elevated plaza design and really miss it in the current layout. It provided so many connections between the different buildings as well as very cool design features such as the longer arches at street level on Liberty St and West St.

I think that it was partly designed this way because Liberty St is a bit sloped?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I loved that elevated plaza design and really miss it in the current layout. It provided so many connections between the different buildings as well as very cool design features such as the longer arches at street level on Liberty St and West St.

I think that it was partly designed this way because Liberty St is a bit sloped?
You didn't think the stairs connected to the towers made them look goofy? The stairs were there because of the elevated plaza design.

Also, Liberty St is a bit sloped?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also, Liberty St is a bit sloped?

Yeah, Vesey and Liberty Streets were both sloped, but I can't find images so I'll just show you https://twitter.com/gameownertje minecraft model.

You can also see that a little bit of the mall was underground, that's why you go down an escalator on Vesey street but exit out into West Street on ground level.

7121 - 7140 of 7292 Posts